Handle bar shake at 45 mph

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Dave Osborne
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing 1800

Handle bar shake at 45 mph

Postby Dave Osborne » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm

I have a 2010 GL 1800 Gold wing, at 45 mph if I take one hand off of handle bar it shakes as soon as I put my hand
back on the shaking stops. Front tire replaced 1,500 miles ago. No history just purchased.
Any thoughts

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: Handle bar shake at 45 mph

Postby Dogsled » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Steering head bearings.....re-torque or replace.....don't forget the races.....try the re-torque first.....
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Put the bike on the center stand, spin the front tire, watch closely. Is the thread, as viewed from the side, egg shape? Is the thread wavering any as viewed from the front? A small defect can cause a large problem with steering and suspension.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 am

Bustedwing,
Are you talking about the axle being egg shaped ?????

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm

This is a common problem we all go threw. With mine when the front tire wears I get the same problem. I get it rebalance and the wobble goes away for a while. I have been using dyna beads they are the most effective and cheapest way to help with my wobble. The best way is a front fork rebuilt with traxion kit. If you do a some research you find out more about the famous Goldwing wobble. It's a expensive fix, but for me just inspecting my tires, maintaining proper air pressure with dyna beads works. Good luck

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 pm

No, not the axle. If the axle is bent in any way it needs to be replaced. It's more common for the tire to be egg shape, even new. Dyna beads help or other means of wheel balancing. One time I seen a guy actually trim the high spots off the tire to balance them better. When he was done a pile of rubber was on the floor but the tires lasted for thousands of miles longer than just balance.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:51 pm

bustedwing wrote:One time I seen a guy actually trim the high spots off the tire to balance them better. When he was done a pile of rubber was on the floor but the tires lasted for thousands of miles longer than just balance.

This used to be available at shops that did dynamic high speed tire balancing. Michelin, at the time, was about the only company that made a round tire. Others needed to be shaved to make them round. I have not seen this done for years, but then, if I can get them, I always buy Michelins. I cannot get Michelin tires for my Goldwing, so I use Dyna Beads to balance them. I have a bit of a shake right now, and I think it is because the guy who mounted these tires used grease on the beads to get them on. I think the grease holds some of the dyna beads till I get going at speed on the highway, because after a higher speed run, I have no shaking till I run around town again. Then the shake returns. It is very light but annoying as all get out.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Steering head bearing torque.....how the heck after 1500 miles shaving tires becomes a solution is beyond me.....

Don't even change your steering head bearings, just re-torque them and do a handling test. A process of elimination.

Any problems that you feel should be tested for free like adjustments.....if it happens at the same speed slowing down do want to adjust the bearings or shave rubber off you tires ?????? Go to every wingsite if you need to and read everything about this issue...not the fellow posters suggestions but the final post that solved the problem......I have NEVER heard a perso say they shaved a tire to solve this problem.....

I've read ALOT on dyna beads. Balance youre tire when it's installed and 99.9% of the time you're bike will be good. There is no logic behind dyna beads from what I've read from people that don't sell dyna beads.

It's a good problem to look for a solution that allows you to get you bike a little better. Do solid prescribed mechanical tests....learn and be a step ahead for the next friggin thing that happens.... :lol: and something will.....

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:36 am

Dogsled wrote:Steering head bearing torque.....I have NEVER heard a perso say they shaved a tire to solve this problem.....

And I do not quite believe that when a problem begins when the tires are changed that it can always, 100% of the time, be attributed to steering head bearings. Shaving the tires was not offered as a solution, at least, not by be. It was offered as an option. No need to get excited about it.

Dogsled wrote:I've read ALOT on dyna beads. Balance youre tire when it's installed and 99.9% of the time you're bike will be good. There is no logic behind dyna beads from what I've read from people that don't sell dyna beads.

Try em... you might like em. I have tried all kinds of balancing of tires. Centramatics and dyna beads offer an all encompassing solution. They do work, by experience, not by reading. They do not work by logic, but by physics. I do not sell dyna beads.

The OP asked for possible solutions, not just the one. So a bunch of us chimed in. Perhaps his problem is steering head bearing torque, but perhaps it is not. Over torquing the steering head bearings has been one of the major destructive actions that people have undertaken on their Goldwing motorcycles. This is why I do not immediately suggest it. If it is done by a fairly competent mechanic, or an authorized shop, with the correct tools and specifications, then it would become the first thing I would check, however, if changing tires brings on a problem, I look to the tires. But that is just me.

ImageImage

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:38 am

Viking,
You're right on the over tightening of the steeringhead bearings. I never torqued anything, but went out and bought a t-wrench just for the head. now I find myself using it alot more. The type of roller bearing in the race that is on the steering is very sensitive to pressure to and torquing has definatley made the difference. I use blue lock tite on all the plain nuts and bolts just out of habit from when I was working

I seriously never heard of shaving a tire.....that must be some old school s**t there.... :D.

I hope he takes his time and finds the problem. That's a dangerous situation. This is the rule of thumb my buddy and I have come up with to go straight to the steering head bearing. If the handlebars stay smoothe (always while slowing down) say at his case 45 mph while you're holding the grips go to the Steering bearings. If you can feel the wobble (even slightlty) while you're holding the grips, it's something else. It has proven itself many time to be the case.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Dogsled wrote:If you can feel the wobble (even slightlty) while you're holding the grips, it's something else. It has proven itself many time to be the case.

Now that is a new one on me. I think I agree with it, because it jives with what I have experienced, but never thought about, but will have to test it a couple of times to try to ensure it as a constant. Thank you Dogsled. I will put it in my repertoire of tricks.

ImageImage

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks Viking for maintaining a cooler head because my original reaction to dogsleds comments werea little different. If anyone reads my cocomments about shaving tires to balance them , please note that I said that Their was a guy a long time ago that did it and tires lasted longer. I currently know of nobody that uses this system. And yes tires out of balance can cause wobble.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:14 pm

bustedwing wrote:Thanks Viking for maintaining a cooler head because my original reaction to dogsleds comments werea little different. If anyone reads my cocomments about shaving tires to balance them , please note that I said that Their was a guy a long time ago that did it and tires lasted longer. I currently know of nobody that uses this system. And yes tires out of balance can cause wobble.

wait a minute....you had to hold your tongue about a remark of shaving tires?????? Hey this ain't 1930 and if the shoe don't fit, don't bring it up!!!

This was a 2013 problem this man was having......Henry Fords original issues with tires aren't gonna help him much.... in fact. The more crap that you throw in the stew only make to confuse a new winger or a winger that never had this issue...... Shaving tires (whatever the heck that is) would have best left as a thought from.....1904.........or whatever year.
How was this helping him, bringing up some nonsense like that.....I don't care if it was valid on Henry ford original car.....it sure ain't soving todays wing issue we have going here.....So busted wing, tell me what your original reaction and comments were that were VALIS in solving the issue of this original post????
If tires are out of balance today.....why aren't they still shaving the? Because the weights they put on now blance the rim......the tire quality is so high that there is no negligable is with rubber balance.
The issue Dave is have be best started where I said it start and for the reason I said it.
good grief.....tech info is info that is proven through the steps of a tech manual....why the heck would you want to say something as assinine as tire shaving 'which no longer exists' to make him solve his problem.....
hold your tongue indeed.......................................

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Well, just because it's something you don't understand doesn't mean it's old technology. I am not going to get into a spitting contest with you. I only made the comment because of different ways of balancing tires, some by adding weight, some by removing weight. It still goes back to the wobble. Dave, I hope I didn't confuse you, I apologize if I did.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Dave was very specific about the wobble occuring at a specific speed. I mantally diagnosed it to be a deceleration because 'DAT WHAT DEM MOCYCLES DO WHEN THE STEERING HEAD BEARING IS LOOSE' (not necessarily bad though) Sticking to his initial question I went to the number one cause of this.

I don't mean to be brash, I just try to give step one of what I know to be the most common solution to a common problem............Uhhhhhh, we called it tankslap 20 years ago.

Has he answered or wrote that he found the solution? Some people are weekend riders and we argue all week trying to solve a problem and they haven't dug into it yet.

I will tell you that I bought a pair of riding/combat boots that had about 1" deep tread that tracked dirt into every building you walked into.....The tread was so high I couldn't get my toe under the shifter. I had a shoemaker grind the bottoms smoothe.....he thought I was crazy......but did it, they were great riding boots afterwards

cueman
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B Goldwing

Postby cueman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Hello Folks, Please check your air pressure first and see if it stops the shake. :) cueman

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

Cueman,
How do you like the FB6 compared to a full Wing as far as riding in colder weather?

cueman

Postby cueman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Howdy Dogsled, I have hard wired my Gerbing connection to the battery and I run a heated jacket liner and heated gloves. I also have a Baggster combination windshield and for the kind of riding I do it works good. I don't ride when snowing and I like the temp above 32 degrees and if the roads look good and I feel like riding, I do. As far as comparing to the full dresser Wing I can't help you there because I have never had one. I had Harleys and I wish I had Goldwings instead even when I was much younger. I think the F6B is more nimble handling at low speeds and I like the lower seat height. I'm happy with my purchase and would do it again. :) cueman

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Hahahaha, my buddy was a full out dressed winger for as long as I can remember. He bought an FB6 and was riding form his new home in SC to OH and said he frozen in WV this spring.....It's hard to tell whether it was the bike fairings or that southern livin that froze him up. He's not tall but not a fidget and I think he likes the new bike better because of the seat height.

I'll ride till the first snow (not far though) but once they salt the streets that's all she wrote........Gt that crap under your bike and go out to listen to it chewing the metal away......I think it's a nice bike though glad you like it.

I'll be riding thru Alliance tomorrow going down to PinWall Cycle to look at a slightly damaged V-rod to repair.....comin from Youngstown (in my jeep... :D ) maybe we can get together sometime........ I swear I seen a new Harley that looked exactly like your bike.....damn copy cats..... Al

cueman

Postby cueman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:57 pm

When I first bought my F6B it was raining for nearly 5hrs. on the way home. It was bone stock then and I thought by the time I get home it is going to be filthy. To my surprise, it wasn't that bad. I think the fairing did a good job of protecting me. I had a full face helmet on and I just kinda slinked down and tucked in and let the design of the fairing do it's job. I even like the seat on this bike much better than any of my BMWs. Good luck with the V-Rod. :) cueman

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”