I'm wary of the E3 MT's

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

I'm wary of the E3 MT's

Postby ediehl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:50 am

Anybody have much experience with the new MT (multitread) version of Dunlop's E3s? I've had Dunlops on a few Valkyries and on my '08 Wing, and I was disturbed by the howling when cornering (I ride the mountains a lot). I changed over to Avon AV72s a while back---very nice handling and not much noise. Still not great mileage, though; at ~13K total miles I'm about to spoon on my 3rd set of tires. I believe it's the crowned roads typical of upstate SC that speeds up the wear; the center tread is still OK, but to the left of the tire I think I'm getting close to showing cord. Always wore the center out way before the sides in south Florida; not anymore....

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: I'm wary of the E3 MT's

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:05 pm

I thought my 18 had the MT's on it according to wear pictures I'd seen posted.I've got a definite 1"-1 1/2" stRip up the center that just doesn't seem to be wearing,but I can't see anywhere on the frt tire anyway that says MT.Saying all that this is my first set of E3 Radials(had lots of bias ply)and these are just plain scary on tar snakes and white/yellow lines in the rain.Loved the bias E3's,but don't think I would touch another set of radials.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 pm

The slower wear on the centerline of the new E-3s is by design; however the left side of the tire is very likely going to wear faster on any tire as left turns are longer and typically faster so they subject the tire to increased wear for most riders. The difference is very noticeable with a multi-compound tire like the E-3. If one judges time to change tires using the centerline tread I would warn them against it. The critical area for tread wear is the areas that make contact when you're turning, in most cases your left side of the tire should be what you go by in making the call to replace your MT (at least in the US where we drive on the right side of the road!). Also I prefer my E-3s at full pressure 41/44 psi as my long slab runs wear on the centerline; if you run them low for too long the tire will wear left and right pretty quick and will cup or feather the tire making them sing when turning. I like these E-3s, but our roads don't seeem to be severely crowned; here its the constant high cross wind that requries we lean too often in the straight aways and it will do the same off center wear of a tire.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

ediehl

Postby ediehl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I went ahead and bought another set of Avons; haven't installed them yet. I'm pretty good monitoring tire pressure, but maybe I'll up it a bit to the 41/44 recommended by PastoT. I do ride two-up a lot, so the extra weight makes that sound even better.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Rather than the E3s, I put Dunlop D250s on my 2009. It is the tire the bike came with, brand new, and I got about 16K miles off the first set. Then I tried a set of Cobra AV72s and I just loved the way they handled and how quiet they were, and smooth. However, I only got about 8K on the back tire before it belt separated, destroying the tire for any further use. Avon was very good about it and refunded the tire, but now I have a half worn front AV72 which is useless to me, as I put D250s back on. They are not as nice a tire to ride on as the Avons, but I feel safer.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree with Viking and the D250's.

I'm on my 2nd set and love the ride, handling they provide. I've ridden the Blue Ridge, Deals Gap and a lot of riding in the hills of West Virginia. With the 1st set I only got 13K miles running them at the mfgr's tire pressure.

With the 2nd set of 250's & centramatics, I have 14K miles and the tires are only half worn. The other thing I am sure extended the tire set life was/is maintaining air pressure. I run 40 & 42 PSI religiously.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

ediehl

Postby ediehl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:18 am

I've always had the impression that the OEM tires on most bikes are usually not the best that can be had. Maybe I'll get crazy and try the D250s next time. If I ever get 10K miles out of any tire on any bike, I'll be amazed (and no, I'm not a dark-sider)

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:12 pm

My Dunlops and Bridgestones both have worn more on the left side as well as the middle. Here in Louisiana, the roads are slanted for rain drainage and we also develop ruts in the asphalt. Depending on where you ride can determine the wear on your tires. I got 17K out of the one set of Dunlps I have run on my 02 Wing but will be trying Avons this next time around.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”