HELP, my bike won't start!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Steve L
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

HELP, my bike won't start!

Postby Steve L » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:00 am

After a 1 hour ride, I parked my 2012 Goldwing for 30 minutes. Then it wouldn't start. No matter what I did, it wouldn't start! The engine turns over normally, but won't fire. Power to all the accessories. Checked all the obvious - lots of fuel, kill switch not on, not in gear, side stand up, no blown fuses, but it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the Honda Dealer - there it started once, then when they checked it again it wouldn't start. They left it for a while, then it started. They said there are no error readings on it. They don't know what is causing the problem. Can anybody give me some suggestion as to what may be causing the problem? Could a faulty side stand cut out switch allow the engine to turn over but not start? Or is there some kind of immobilizer system built into the bike that could have failed? Would appreciate any advice or suggestion on this. :?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: HELP, my bike won't start!

Postby bustedwing » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm

First you need to know if you are lacking fuel or spark. Can you smell gas? If not, that might be your problem. If you can smell gas, then spark is next. Pull a spark plug wire off and hold it with a pair of insulated pliers. Spin the engine over and you should hear the spark arc as you hold it near a ground. Then you can pull the spark plug to check if it's wet with fuel. Either way you will find out which one is not working and go from there.
Proud member Patriot Guard

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:37 pm

I agree with bustedwing, however, since the bike is totally under warranty, and it is at the dealership, AND they have duplicated the problem, I would leave it to them to fix it. And if they cannot fix it, then all the tows are on them, as well as fixing the bike, no matter how long it takes, even if that is six or seven years. They would continue to get the bike back till they fixed it. There is no good reason under the sun for you to fix your own warranteed bike.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Steve L

Postby Steve L » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks guys - I will keep looking and would appreciate any other suggestions that anybody may think of.

zalesjak
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Goldwing, Airbag

Postby zalesjak » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi,

did you maybe put some chrome accessories on the boke? Especialy the part around the ignition key may couse problems with communication between the ignition key and HISS system witch may couse the problem as you have.

Bye.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am

Since it is warranty work make sure the dealer documents in writing what they are doing.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Steve L

Postby Steve L » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Called the dealer today, and they still have not found the problem. They said no error codes being shown by the computer. However they did say one interesting thing: when he got the bike to start, he said that it seemed to start one or two cylinders at a time, and he could clearly hear this until all the cylinders were firing. He is now draining the fuel to check something in the fuel tank.
Anybody got any suggestions about this latest finding? :?

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Did you accidentally fill it with diesel fuel? Or maybe you just got some bad gas.. ?

Just wondering...
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

whitmire347
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby whitmire347 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 am

I just had a similar problem with my 2012, sitting in traffic mine died , thought I had stalled it but would not crank back. Fuses all good, buttons all in the right places, gas checked and good. Towed it top the dealer and found that the fuel pump had died. Service manager said it was the first one he had seen die in 8 years of working on them . New fuel pump installed and bike and I are both working and happy.. Just something to check

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:02 pm

whitmire347 wrote:I just had a similar problem with my 2012, sitting in traffic mine died , thought I had stalled it but would not crank back. Fuses all good, buttons all in the right places, gas checked and good. Towed it top the dealer and found that the fuel pump had died. Service manager said it was the first one he had seen die in 8 years of working on them . New fuel pump installed and bike and I are both working and happy.. Just something to check

Whitmire,
Do you know if changing the fuel pump is a DIY repair like on the 1500. I saw one 2012, a friend of mine bought and everything runs off the computer. This is even assuming you can diagnose the problem......the new bikes scare me because everything needs reset on the computer when you change it (or so it seems)....

These electronics are taking alot out of the DIY hands, so I was just wondering if this was something you could have found and fixed yourself....

I broke the TPM inside my front tire after a flat and the computer went bonkers........$150.00 bucks later I found out what a TPM is...... I might be waxing up the old cushman if things get any more complicated.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

rojan65
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
1985 GL1200

Postby rojan65 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:26 pm

If you have a CB installed and have also had inline noise filters installed, remove the one on the fuel pump. They have a tendency to fail particularly after the bike is shut off. It may or may not restart intermittently. The material within the filter breaks down. Just have to trust me on this one,,,,,,been there.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Rojan, now there's a bit of info that no manual will ever have. AND the hours it took you to find it out are not anyone wants to spend scratching their bal.....head finding out......
How you found this problem should go down in the annals of GW electrical problems......I don't even have an 1800 and it's been duly noted in my book of 'crazy wiring sh** that'll break you down'
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Good play on words there Dogsled.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am

Have them check the Relays - both A and B.

Wilfredmsg
Motorcycle: 2013 Gouldwing F6B d

Postby Wilfredmsg » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm having the same problem with my bike 2013 Goulewing 1800 F6b, it run for 2 to 3 days, and damn it will not start it will turn over real good but won't start, this may last for days and it starts lick new. I took it to the shop in a start every time, get home ride it one day the next day it would not start :oops:

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:02 pm

From what you discribe it sounds like the fuel pump.
Just seen the original post is a couple of years old. Sorry! :D

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”