Using power port to charge battery

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Boondoc88@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 ABS

Using power port to charge battery

Postby Boondoc88@gmail.com » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

I installed a 12V power port into the intended location in the front left pocket of my 2012 GW 1800. Installation went well and the power port works perfectly. I tried to use a battery tenter power port adapter to charge the battery thru this port but it won't work. Is it possible to charge the battery using this method? I charge the batteries on my ATVs and snowmobiles this way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JPL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Using power port to charge battery

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Boondoc88@gmail.com wrote:I installed a 12V power port into the intended location in the front left pocket of my 2012 GW 1800. Installation went well and the power port works perfectly. I tried to use a battery tenter power port adapter to charge the battery thru this port but it won't work. Is it possible to charge the battery using this method? I charge the batteries on my ATVs and snowmobiles this way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JPL

It should work fine, as long as the power port has power when the bike is turned off. If the port turns off when you turn the bike off, then it won't work to charge the battery.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:28 am

Scott hit the nail on the head.The factory power port hookups are ignition fed on my 04 anyway.I would assume they all are.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

A better solution is to install a cigarette lighter socket directly to the battery (fused of course) and use that. That power port in the front pocket is wired very lightly. It is also fused at only something like 3 amps. My Honda branded battery charger/tender has a two pronged plug system that is wired (fused) directly to the battery.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Boondoc88@gmail.com

Postby Boondoc88@gmail.com » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks, I thought that the power port plug in was always hot. I checked after your reply and realized that it's not unless the key is on. Too bad, I was looking for an easy way to remotely charge the battery.

Boondoc88@gmail.com

Postby Boondoc88@gmail.com » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 pm

I bought my 2012 as a leftover last April so I haven't had to access the battery yet. I know it requires removing a body panel and haven't had a look at it yet to see what the best way is to wire a battery tender hook up directly to the battery.
I live near Hunter mountain and took my last ride up the back roads to Lake George last Monday. Came back Tuesday morning in 35 degree weather with toe warmers in my boots wearing my snowmobile jacket and gloves. Actually, I was very comfortable. If it wasn't for my long, steep, icy driveway I'd love to ride all year.
So the bike is washed and waxed and put to bed till spring.
Snowmobile season is right around the corner!
JPL

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Postby CaptLen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm

You can also wire an SAE plug wired (and fused) to the battery- this is commonly done. Battery Tenders usually come with wiring to hook up this way, making it simple and easy. I have this feature on one of my bikes.

Boondoc88@gmail.com

Postby Boondoc88@gmail.com » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Yea, that's what I meant I plan to do. I know some people swear by it, but I haven't had good luck leaving my powersports batteries hooked up to a battery tender24/7 in the past. I'd rather hook them up every 2 months for a day, so when it's time to charge it up I'll attach an SAE plug to the battery and zip tie it somewhere out of the way but convenient to get to

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 am

There are USB ports that also go nicely into the left glove box. Cigarette lighter styles that will fit. I would like to see someone make one with a led light to illuminate the glove box. I added a small LED for that purpose. If you want to add other accessories later and avoid taxing the factory electrical circuits then electrical connections makes a ready to go panel with a 30 amp relay. You can wire the relay to kill all outputs when start is pressed. This helps get you started when your battery needs everything it has to keep voltage at or above minimum thresholds. Panel comes with fuses built in and is easy to add by sliding the panel behind the battery retainer bracket and tightening. There is a tap on the feed relay normally closed output that some like to connect their tender to. You can then take your time and run wires anywhere from there. I recommend looking on ebay for some heat shrink to add a little extra insulation and the clean look of being professionally done. Spaghetti belongs on the dinner plate, not under our seats. I think having the battery tender plug wired directly to the battery and tied to the rear left guard makes for a nice power tap. Never know when you might need it for a spotlight or something. The same power distribution solution can be accomplished with a relay and some ingenuity. It seems like there is an endless supply of THINGS we can spend our money on for our bikes. At some point the "do I really need that" question has to come to mind.

Boondoc88@gmail.com

Postby Boondoc88@gmail.com » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep your good suggestion in the memory banks in the event that I need more electrical connectivity in the future. For now I'm going to keep things simple. Minimalist is a hard concept to apply to ANY GoldWing, but for now as long as I can charge my old cell phone and iPod using my 12V and USB ports, and freshen up my battery in the winter, I think I'm set.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”