Soundgate HONPDDSDR iPod Nano 5th generation Problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
robo90124
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Soundgate HONPDDSDR iPod Nano 5th generation Problems

Postby robo90124 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:30 pm

I wish I did a little more investigation prior to purchasing the Soundgate HONPDSDR and iPod Nano 16G (5th gen).....

I have the Soundgate HONPDSDR and iPod Nano 16G (5th gen) installed on my 2008 Golwing but it is not working 100%. Install was easy, I just wish they supplied longer cables.

The Soundgate HONPDSDR and iPod Nano 16G (5th gen) was recognized by my Goldwing in CD mode. I can listen to music from my iPod but I cannot control the tracks or select the playlist from my bike's handle bar controls. I can see the display change on my Goldwing when I toggle between REPEAT and RANDOM by pressing the Preset 1 and Preset 2, but the iPod will not respond to either. The Golwing display always shows Track 1. (see photo)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Is it a hardware problem with my bike? Do I have a defective Soundgate? Is my iPod or the iPod's software to blame?

Looking for some advice
Attachments

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Soundgate HONPDDSDR iPod Nano 5th generation Problems

Postby gareva1 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I don't have a 5th gen ipod (I'm using an iphone 3g), but I may be able to shed some light on this based on some of my observations over the past few months

I have noticed that although the random and repeat work, they do not show on the iphone---I think that the radio is handling the shuffling and the ipod/iphone is none the wiser---that is, it's not using the ipod's shuffle function to achieve shuffle.

Try hitting 6 on the radio to swap over to SDR or RI mode depending on what you're on now...I don't have an issue working in either mode, but I've heard somewhere that some ipods will only work in one particular mode; you may be in this situation.

Also, about the longer cable...I've got my soundgate box under the left pocket so the ipod cable can reach the handlebars---I talked with Pete over at bikemp3.com and he made me an extension for the cd changer cable...I really didn't like this arrangement (worried about the extra connectors), so I sent him my original cable from the soundgate and he extended it so it has the honda cd changer connector on one end and the 10pin molex on the other to go into the soundgate, with 5.5ft of length between them...if you really want a longer cable, I'd go to his website and email him.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Soundgate HONPDDSDR iPod Nano 5th generation Problems

Postby gareva1 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I just looked a little more into it, and it appears there is a bug in the unit when using the 5th gen nano:

"It will charge and control with the 5th gen but Apple has a bug in there’s software that forces you to wither plug it in after you have started the bike or if it was plugged in to unplug it and plug it in after the ignition. We have reported this bug to Apple and hope they fix it in there next software Rev but cannot guarantee it... Basically with the glitch in the nanos software you need to plug it in after you start the bike."

This was pulled from a post located here:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242284

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”