Hoisting A GL1800


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
OldGuyOnABike
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Beausejour, Manitoba (close to Winnipeg)Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Hoisting A GL1800

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 pm



Read the article on how to tie down a Wing for transport. Which was excellent by the way. I thought the crash bars were strong enough of tie downs--guess not. Any how have to lift the bike up on to the back of my truck for transport (40 miles ..then trailer to Phoenix).. All ready have the side panels off for tie downs, where do you put the straps for the front end ? Or is this a dumb thing to do and you ramp them up. Installed a hoist in my new garage for just that purpose. Maybe I'll just use it for my snow blower :lol: Any help would be great....... :idea:
Darryl



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 am

OldGuyOnABike wrote:Read the article on how to tie down a Wing for transport. Which was excellent by the way. I thought the crash bars were strong enough of tie downs--guess not. Any how have to lift the bike up on to the back of my truck for transport (40 miles ..then trailer to Phoenix).. All ready have the side panels off for tie downs, where do you put the straps for the front end ? Or is this a dumb thing to do and you ramp them up. Installed a hoist in my new garage for just that purpose. Maybe I'll just use it for my snow blower :lol: Any help would be great....... :idea:
Darryl


Good question - I would use straps (very strong ones) and I would strap them securely to the FRAME of the bike, in such a way that they won't slip and move along the frame. At least three points (two in front, one in rear), and four would be better. I wouldn't attempt to lift it by any other part of the bike than the frame.

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:21 am

I do not believe I would even attempt this. Me, I said. For sure, if I did it, mother bad luck would hit me up side of the head. If I could not ramp the bike onto the truck, and I could not get the trailer to the bike, I think I would get hold of a flatbed tow truck driver, and roll the bike up on it. Then lift the bed till it was the same height as my truck box, and reverse the procedure. Problem is, when you get to the trailer, how do you get the bike off? If you ramp it, you need a pretty strong, and fairly long, ramp. I dunno, but can't you just drive the 40 miles and get the trailer and bring it back?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
OldGuyOnABike
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Beausejour, Manitoba (close to Winnipeg)Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey Guys,, thanks for the advice. The more I look at it the heavier it gets. Don't think I want the grief and tears in my eyes when posting,, well, I shouldn't of done it---!!!! Just purchased double pulleys and hooks to add to my hoist to make it easier to lift (slower, so no jarring). For the money I think I'll trade the hooks in and just get a flat bed to hall it in. My idea was to drop it onto a wooden pallet just to get into Winnipeg. Fork it off at his shop.
My buddy (sheet metal/welding shop) and I are going to build 2 metal pallets for future use. Not sure on how they will fit together, so we still don't know what size trailer to rent. Was going to fork lift the bike off my truck and then start the real building. When new pallets completed just fork them into trailer. Hence the not having a trailer yet. By the way I went to a dealer and asked about the shipping pallets that GW's come in on, it turns out they sell them for scrap metal. The guy I talked to said to come back Monday to see the receiving guys. I am guessing that at this time of year (I was tripping over snowmobiles as I wandered over to the bike counter) they aren't going to have to many old pallets kick'n around, but I will be there Monday to find out.
Glad I joined this group and got the responses from you. Fabulous site to be a part of. If I could send beer via email you for sure would be getting some...... :D
Thanks again and I will keep you posted as the saga continues.
Darryl

User avatar
wing rider 2012
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Southern Oregon
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby wing rider 2012 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm

If and when I trailer my Gold Wing, for the front I use the handlebar ties down straps. They are designed to slide over the grips and then pull tight, makes it real easy to secure the front of the bike without any damage to the plastic.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:29 pm

wing rider 2012 wrote:If and when I trailer my Gold Wing, for the front I use the handlebar ties down straps. They are designed to slide over the grips and then pull tight, makes it real easy to secure the front of the bike without any damage to the plastic.


You should never use the handlebars as a tie-down point. See: How to tie down Goldwings for transport

User avatar
OldGuyOnABike
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Beausejour, Manitoba (close to Winnipeg)Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Right side strap
Right side strap
Thanks. I did see that article. I wish I could find soft straps as small as those in the pictures. Only ones I could find (so far) are super heavy duty. Had a tough time slipping the one on the left side of the frame. Had a serious look at hoisting for the last time. Lots of frame under the seat but nothing on the front end to tie to. Unless you go through the cowl and tie to the tree but I'm not going to take the chance.
Attachments
Left side strap
Left side strap
My bike with no Bum...LOL
My bike with no Bum...LOL

User avatar
PastoT
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Mt Home, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby PastoT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Just a note on ramping a goldwing up on a trailer. Even with the rear preload on high it is a low slung machine and will easily high center in the point where a ramp and trailer connect. My trailer has a drop down ramp and we had to position it where the ramp was atop curb to reduce that connection angle and allow the bike to clear the hinge point. It stuck the first time the dealer tried to load it; it was also the first time I saw my bike laying on the crash bars! :o

At 900lbs dry I wouldn't consider hoisting it by any means short of a set of four, frame secured, 10k lbs pallet straps and a big forklift. I fear hoisting it in a garage would only result in a caved in ceiling and many tears. I'd do anything I can to beg, borrow or steal a very low cycle trailer made for such a heavy girl as a Goldwing.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Image

User avatar
OldGuyOnABike
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Beausejour, Manitoba (close to Winnipeg)Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks Mr. T... Totally forgot about the low center. Thanks for the advice. This is still going to be a work in progress for the next little bit. Your right about the caved in ceiling. I have totally forgot about that idea. My next plan I think is to put it on a (robust) 8' pallet and have a fork lift from the lumber yard come and place it in the back of my truck. My buddy has a fork lift to off load it into the hauling trailer. As posted before, the easy way is to bring the trailer out here (my place). But the logistics of getting the fork lift on the same day may be hard to accomplish. Also the trailer U-Haul store said you have 7 days of rental. I may have to wait 2 days to get the fork lift to my garage. Baring and storms or ice road conditions on the way there where we may get held up for a day or two. With the weather we have ,,,,you never know.
Somebody told me this was going to be easy, LOL,, can't remember who that was,, :lol:

Thanks for the advice, from you and everyone, I appreciate all of it. :)

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 pm

You could just put a pair of skis on your feet to use as outriggers and ride the thing! :)

Another option is a loading dock - if you could get the bike in somewhere where they have a loading dock, you could back your truck up to it and just roll it right in.

User avatar
OldGuyOnABike
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Beausejour, Manitoba (close to Winnipeg)Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Loading dock is a good idea but with all the snow we have here that is quite impossible. As I write this it is snowing and there is a snowfall warning from Environment Canada that another 15 to 25 cm is on the way. I don't know weather to load up on soup and snow shovels or beer.... :lol:

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby themainviking » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm

OldGuyOnABike wrote:Loading dock is a good idea but with all the snow we have here that is quite impossible. As I write this it is snowing and there is a snowfall warning from Environment Canada that another 15 to 25 cm is on the way. I don't know weather to load up on soup and snow shovels or beer.... :lol:


I would go with the soup and snow shovels. That way you will still be clear headed in the morning.... Your excellent adventure is shaping up like my attempt this spring, when the weather would not cooperate to let me get to San Antonio Texas to visit with the Beav. Never did get out of Canada this year. Hope your mileage is better.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Red Ron
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY; Edgewater FL
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby Red Ron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:51 pm

As far as the front of the bike; I route a ratchet strap up over the top of the forks on each side. Make sure you route them under the brake lines. I tie to the frame on the sides as shown above and toward the back on each side under the bags, six in all. I make sure my bike is in neutral when towing to take any stress off the tranny. I also do something most don't. I have a 4X4 block that is heavily padded with carpet that I put under the engine block before I ratchet the bike down tight. This takes stress off the front shocks in case you hit a large bump or pothole while towing.

User avatar
PastoT
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Mt Home, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby PastoT » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I think for all the hassle palletizing, then loading and unloading from a truck would be enough for me to say screw it and get a single rail motorcycle trailer. The nice thing is once you get south of the messy weather you can take a break and unload in a few minutes for a ride. you can do the same should you have truck trouble and need to go for gas or assistance. Weather will be nicer long before you reach southern Arizona and I know I'd take a ride around lake Meade or Havasu, maybe the Grand Canyon. On the plus side you wouldn't have to work to get your ride loaded up to return home after your time in Arizona. I can't count how many times I wished I had a trailer to bring my bike on a family vacation, so I could just ride the mountains north of Tucson. your wing Just get a trailer that has a stone shield on the front and your wing should be fine short a bath upon arrival (don't tarp it - it will rip loose and shred your paint!).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Image

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby themainviking » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:08 am

PastoT wrote:I think for all the hassle palletizing, then loading and unloading from a truck would be enough for me to say screw it and get a single rail motorcycle trailer. .


Or a dual rail for both yours and your friends bikes. Trailers are not that expensive if you shop around. I got an 18 foot enclosed trailer a few years back for just such excursions, and also to give the bikes I am riding right now a home of their own. I only paid $4000 and the tires were good for a few years. It is one of the best investments I feel I have ever made. It looks like this...



And outside

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am

Red Ron wrote:As far as the front of the bike; I route a ratchet strap up over the top of the forks on each side. Make sure you route them under the brake lines. I tie to the frame on the sides as shown above and toward the back on each side under the bags, six in all. I make sure my bike is in neutral when towing to take any stress off the tranny. I also do something most don't. I have a 4X4 block that is heavily padded with carpet that I put under the engine block before I ratchet the bike down tight. This takes stress off the front shocks in case you hit a large bump or pothole while towing.


Never, ever EVER tow a Goldwing with the rear wheel on the ground!

When the rear wheel turns while being towed, it turns the output portion of the transmission, even when it is in neutral. This has gears, and more importantly, bearings that are dependent on pressurized oil for lubrication. If you tow the bike, there is no circulating oil to lubricate these parts, and they will experience extreme wear.

Red Ron
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY; Edgewater FL
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby Red Ron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Red Ron wrote:As far as the front of the bike; I route a ratchet strap up over the top of the forks on each side. Make sure you route them under the brake lines. I tie to the frame on the sides as shown above and toward the back on each side under the bags, six in all. I make sure my bike is in neutral when towing to take any stress off the tranny. I also do something most don't. I have a 4X4 block that is heavily padded with carpet that I put under the engine block before I ratchet the bike down tight. This takes stress off the front shocks in case you hit a large bump or pothole while towing.


Never, ever EVER tow a Goldwing with the rear wheel on the ground!

When the rear wheel turns while being towed, it turns the output portion of the transmission, even when it is in neutral. This has gears, and more importantly, bearings that are dependent on pressurized oil for lubrication. If you tow the bike, there is no circulating oil to lubricate these parts, and they will experience extreme wear.



I believe you may be misunderstanding me. I am not suggesting that and hope I didn't confuse anyone. If you read through my post I indicate a total of 6 straps with 2 attached to the frame toward the rear of the bike. How could the rear wheel be on the ground in this siniero? I am suggesting that I keep my bike in nuteral when I am pulling it while it is on/in a trailer.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Red Ron wrote:I believe you may be misunderstanding me. I am not suggesting that and hope I didn't confuse anyone. If you read through my post I indicate a total of 6 straps with 2 attached to the frame toward the rear of the bike. How could the rear wheel be on the ground in this siniero? I am suggesting that I keep my bike in nuteral when I am pulling it while it is on/in a trailer.


Ah, ok, that makes sense. Yes, good idea. I thought you were talking about towing it in neutral with only the rear wheel on the road - which people have asked about a few times before. There's apparently a motorcycle trailer you can buy that does this, which is an exceptionally bad idea. OK for a Harley which has a separate transmission with separate lubrication, but deadly for a Goldwing.

User avatar
canuck623
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Level 3

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby canuck623 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 pm

I don't know why you can't use the engine guard/crash guards to tie a wing down for shipping over a short distance. How do you think Honda ties them down in the shipping pallets they use? Yep...by the guards.
Attachments
2008 GL1800
1990 GL1500
1986 GL1200
1983 GL1100
1982 CBX 1000
1972 CB750
1966 305 Dream

Red Ron
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY; Edgewater FL
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Hoisting A GL1800

Postby Red Ron » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 am

On other boards, I have read of others breaking the guards off when strapping to them. The way I understand it the guards are designed to withstand forces being pushed up on them but not pulled down on them. Also I had the same question about the guards being used in shipping. It was explained that other dynamics were in play to absorb shifts in weight during shipping which takes a lot off of the guards. On the other had I have read that others said they always tie to the guards when they trailer their wing. As for me it is easy enough to just go ahead and tie to the frame and not take a chance.




Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], Brandwatch [Bot] and 2 guests