Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Jack Creeden
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby Jack Creeden » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm looking for a Goldwing 1800 2013 seat that allows me to move further back. At least 2 or 3". Even a aftermarket brand would be helpful.

Answer me here or by email at

Thanks for any help

Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: Seat

Postby nsjoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Hello Jack,

I did what you are trying to do. I had a 1200 and customized the seat myself. It wasn't hard, but I had to fiddle with it to get it right. When I bought my 1800, I bought an aftermarket seat that had the fiddling done for me. I bought a Hartco ... amily.html . Their seats are custom made for your height, weight, and inseam. I have a 38" inseam, so I am pushing the limits of what is possible. If you buy from their site, their products are very expensive. I stumbled onto their "outlet" on ebay. They won't advertise it, but they sell their floor models and overstocks on ebay during the winter. You can find their ebay store under the name "porkydogg" here: ... pg=&_from= . My seat is 3" up and 2" back, and included a new passenger backrest that is thinner to allow me to move back without making my lovely wife into a pancake.

I just looked on ebay and I didn't see any 1800 seats, but they seem to list them pretty often. Looks like they have a nice 1500 seat on there starting at $400. My seat has heaters in it, but my 2002 isn't wired for them, so they are just sitting idle in there waiting for me to do something about it. I spoke with the owner of Hartco and asked him about the heaters. He laughed and said that he had been riding for a zillion years and never had his butt get cold. He followed that up by saying that he just puts them in because people ask for them. I believe my seat had been ordered by someone approx. my height and weight, and then the seat was never picked up. So I bought an $1800 seat for $600. Still pricey, but worth every penny.

I have also heard good things about these guys, although I have not used them to alter any of my bike seats:

And here is some information if you want to try to do it yourself:

It's not hard to do, you just have to play with it and find good foam. After doing my own on the 1200 and buying one made by someone that knows what they are doing, I would by the aftermarket seat again.

Good luck.
Darksider #493

Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 am

I got a ultimate seat there are a couple different types to choose from. But I love mine best upgrade I ever did. Can ride a lot longer now, my stock seat was giving me pain in my hip areas. After installing my midrider seat there no more pain worked well for me. Great people to deal with and they back there products well.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:11 am

I can vouch for those cheaper e-bay Hartco's.Ran one on my 1500 for 4 or 5 years.After winning the bid my buddy talked to the seller and we ended up with 2 of them built for our size and colour matched with a Utopia styled backrest.They were $420 each to our door here in Canada.Great seat for the price.Actually a great seat period.I'm running a Corbin heated seat on my 1800.Wife likes the heat but she liked the Hartco better.Just after I got the 1800 this year a Hartco popped up for sale locally for a decent price.I wanted to pick it up and try it and do a comparison to the Corbin but the wife didn't want to give up the heated seat.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Motorcycle: 2012 BMW K1600GTL
2012 GL 1800 SOON

Postby RICHB2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 am

MARK @ Hartco is a great guy. I spoke with him long and hard about the seat he made for my 2012 wing. Best seat I've ever owned. Was not real happy about his price but once I put my fat butt into it and rode it would not have anything else... Even have a custom one on my 2012 Harley. Love them both. But would I buy another? I hope not as I am planning on keeping both of these bikes for a long time, but I would buy another seat from Mark in a heartbeat.
Barb and I are planning our trips for this summer already. Won't be afraid of taking either bike.

Mention Rich in Prescott Valley. I am sure he will be happy to help you.

Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby brenniac » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 am

The stock seat on my 1500 wore out after only 110,000 miles. I replaced it with a Hartco that I bought at Americade. The advantage there was that I got to try out different seats right there before I made a decision and they installed the new seat so I got to feel it on my bike before I rode off with it.
'06 Gold

Jack Creeden
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby Jack Creeden » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for all the great information and advice. I'll check out the web sites and hopefully have a new seat for the spring.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”