Front end noise

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
dsawyer
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Front end noise

Postby dsawyer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I am new to the forum, I have a 2009 GL1800 with ABS. I was riding recently and heard what sounded like the tire rubbing on the fender. It happens intermittently and is not continuous. I have pulled the fender and can find no trace of where the tire could be rubbing on the it. But there does appear to be faint rub marks on the side of the tire. I am running Avon tires, this is the first time I have tried them. I took the bike to a local shop and they could not find anything either, I left there and went on a ride. About 60 miles into the ride the noise started again and it was worse, got the bike back home and now I am puzzling over what could be causing it. Everything I can think of that might be causing this I would think would cause it continuously not intermittently (i.e. fork spring problem, fork oil low, tire to large, etc.) if anyone has encountered this and knows what it could be please let me know.

Thank you,
Dan Sawyer

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Re: Front end noise

Postby WOJCIECH » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 am

and why the tire, and maybe pads can dirty abs sensor?

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Not sure where you are riding but more than once I've had bits of tumble weed get tossed into the fender area and up into the rear wheel. They don't last long generally as they crunch up and blow out normally but if you caught a piece or two they might leave a scrub mark on the tire sidewall until they depart. Certainly had a few out in Idaho that made some noise. I also have another hunch but won't explain any tire scrub. I would check the plastic pop rivets in the fairing intakes behind the forks. It could be 1 or more have come loose or departed entirely and a change in wing direction will create noise and perhaps a howling noise; I had 3 missing when I bought my 02 and I heard noises when on bumpy roads (when the radio was turned down).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 am

Again, write, tire shakes, beats, what symptoms to the speed of 30 mph, and then what is good, can you cut through the tire, write everything as simply as!

dsawyer
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Postby dsawyer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 am

I appreciate the replies, Tom the first time I heard and felt it I was coming through a town and my first thought was I picked something up and it was hung up in the fender area, but I could find nothing. Then it started happening intermittently every 45 or 60 or 100 mile no rhyme or reason. I was on a 300 mile run coming back home when it started, in the hill country of Texas. When the noise occurs, I can feel it in the handlebars and as I stated it sounds like the tire is scrubbing the fender. Some times it will be less than a second other times It will continue until I make a complete stop. I take off and all is fine, I am leaning towards the front bearing being worn out but again I would think it would be a continuous thing not intermittent. Guess I will take her to the Honda Shop and have them take a look. I appreciate everyone's assistance and wish everyone the best and great riding in the New Year.

Ride safe,
Dan Sawyer
USA (Retired)

PastoT wrote:Not sure where you are riding but more than once I've had bits of tumble weed get tossed into the fender area and up into the rear wheel. They don't last long generally as they crunch up and blow out normally but if you caught a piece or two they might leave a scrub mark on the tire sidewall until they depart. Certainly had a few out in Idaho that made some noise. I also have another hunch but won't explain any tire scrub. I would check the plastic pop rivets in the fairing intakes behind the forks. It could be 1 or more have come loose or departed entirely and a change in wing direction will create noise and perhaps a howling noise; I had 3 missing when I bought my 02 and I heard noises when on bumpy roads (when the radio was turned down).

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:45 am

I am having the same problem for me I believe it's my tire I do have some uneven wear. I just put in some dyna beads and it's better, plus I am getting the famous front end wobble at low speeds. Will be replacing my tire plus bearings this should help. But I do know when the front tire starts to wear the noises you are describing are command.

canuck623
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Level 3

Postby canuck623 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Sometimes the noise is caused by the left front brake caliper bracket rubbing on the rotor. If it sticks a little that could be it. I have seen it several times, especially if the wheel has been removed or the brakes done recently.
2008 GL1800
1990 GL1500
1986 GL1200
1983 GL1100
1982 CBX 1000
1972 CB750
1966 305 Dream

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Just wondering if anything ever happened to your front end's issue. If you haven't fixed it yet I hope you though about pulling the front axle, spacer and wheel off to check the bearings and parts for other signs of wear/wobble. Its a good opportunity to check out the front brakes out, clean and lube as needed. Maybe you can see other signs of rubbing or a looseness with everything out of the way. I'm intersted in what is found, just thought I'd check back in.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”