Just got it

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
DWMOONEY
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing 1800 ABS

Just got it

Postby DWMOONEY » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:49 am

Purchased a 2001 Goldwing a couple of days ago. No manuals. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to plug and play an IPod into the system? Also, how to change stations on the radio? I will order an owners manual ASAP.
Thanks
Dan

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Just got it

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 am

1. Not sure all 1800's have this but, mine has a "cord" in the left fairing pocket that you can use for your I-pod. If it's not there, you should be able to order one.
2. You can use right tuner knob on the console, just like the radio in your car or truck. You should also also find a up/down toggle switch on the left side handle bar control pod.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:26 pm

The external audio input lead is not standard, there is a connector up near the front left hand speaker that you connect an audio cable to, most bikes have got it fitted (because a previous owner has fitted it), but if not you will have to purchase the lead. Most people then run the lead into the little glove box on the left hand side, so you can put an iPod or similar device in there and listen to the music.
I would start by removing the glove box (2 or 4 plastic pop rivets) and just see if you can see a lead in there with the standard 3.5mm stereo plug on the end (It might have just fallen down into the wiring). If you find it, poke the lead into the glove box, reinstall the glove box and you are done. If not you will need to purchase a lead, they are not very expensive, but a bit more work to connect the lead up, if memory serves me right you can connect the lead to the main Honda wiring loom by going through the hole where the left glove box is, but failing that you have to remove the inner fairing to get to the main plug.

As a side note, check that your bike has had the recalls done, there was a recall for extra welding to the frame (For models prior to 2006), you MUST make sure it has been done or your frame could crack/break. There are a few other recalls, but that's the biggie!!

Gary

DWMOONEY
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing 1800 ABS

Postby DWMOONEY » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the help I will check each item you mentioned.

Dan

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm

thrasherg wrote:The external audio input lead is not standard, there is a connector up near the front left hand speaker that you connect an audio cable to, most bikes have got it fitted (because a previous owner has fitted it), but if not you will have to purchase the lead. Most people then run the lead into the little glove box on the left hand side, so you can put an iPod or similar device in there and listen to the music.
I would start by removing the glove box (2 or 4 plastic pop rivets) and just see if you can see a lead in there with the standard 3.5mm stereo plug on the end (It might have just fallen down into the wiring). If you find it, poke the lead into the glove box, reinstall the glove box and you are done. If not you will need to purchase a lead, they are not very expensive, but a bit more work to connect the lead up, if memory serves me right you can connect the lead to the main Honda wiring loom by going through the hole where the left glove box is, but failing that you have to remove the inner fairing to get to the main plug.

As a side note, check that your bike has had the recalls done, there was a recall for extra welding to the frame (For models prior to 2006), you MUST make sure it has been done or your frame could crack/break. There are a few other recalls, but that's the biggie!!

Gary

That cable was provided on my 06 but, had to be plugged in!!!

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 am

First, congrats on your new ride, I hope you enjoy it.
I plug the bike's audio jack into my iPod and play it through the Aux selection. I can control the volume using the bike's controls but not change songs. This is OK with me as I only have songs I like on there and if I really want to I can open the glove box and use the controls on the iPod.
If you want to get fancy Soundgate makes a unit that they advertise as plug and play. It goes in the trunk in place of the CD changer and uses the CD controls on the bike. WingStuff sells it for under $80. Here's a link.
http://wingstuff.com/products/29791-ipod-iphone-plug-n-play-interface-for-gl1800

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum and to GL1800 ownership. You have purchased what is arguably the finest touring motorcycle in the world. Enjoy it to the fullest by taking lots of trips.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Ridin Thunder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby Ridin Thunder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 am

Well I'm not trying to be the bad apple but I would be surprised to know that the 2001 Wing had an Ipod connection since the Ipod wasn't released until October 2001. My 2003 doesn't have factory wiring for an Ipod.

A previous owner may of added a connection somehow. See if you can get in touch with the previous owner to see what modifications was done.

If you just have to add your own, my suggestion would be to go with the Bikemp3.

My 2 cents anyway.

Enjoy and Ride Safe!

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 am

Ridin Thunder wrote:Well I'm not trying to be the bad apple but I would be surprised to know that the 2001 Wing had an Ipod connection since the Ipod wasn't released until October 2001. My 2003 doesn't have factory wiring for an Ipod.

A previous owner may of added a connection somehow. See if you can get in touch with the previous owner to see what modifications was done.

If you just have to add your own, my suggestion would be to go with the Bikemp3.

My 2 cents anyway.

Enjoy and Ride Safe!

The wing has an audio connection that comes from under the left pocket and can be used with an MP3 player or IPOD when you set the audio on auxiliary. Unfortunately you cannot use any of the wings audio controls for the IPOD or MP3 player. If you purchase the Soundgate kit for the IPOD audio it uses the Honda CD player wiring to run and you can use your audio controls to play your IPOD. Its basically a plug and play .

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”