Trash or get new 6 disk CD player?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Trash or get new 6 disk CD player?

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

I have a 02 Honda Goldwing that has a Hondaline 6 disk CD player in it. I got the bike 4 years ago, it had under 12,000 miles on it, (currently has 65,000) and I don't know when the CD player was installed. It was working perfectly but lately it is having problems switching from one disk to the other as one finishes. For example, yesterday, went on a ride and it played the first 2 CD's but would not go to number 3 by itself or by hitting #3 on the dash as a selection. It will not go to #'s 4, 5 or 6 either. Sometimes I have trouble getting it to go to any of the CD's. Other times when it is first turned on, if I hit for example #4 or 5 it will go to it and play. Also been having trouble getting it to load and unload CD's. Local shop said it may be the cold temps but yesterday it was 70 degrees, same problem. Is there a way to tune this thing or is it time for a new one and if it is time for a new one, what brand are you using, Hondaline or what? Going on a trip this summer and I plan on renting a book on CD for the long stretches to help pass the miles away.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Flyn Tiger :)

Ridin Thunder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Re: Trash or get new 6 disk CD player?

Postby Ridin Thunder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 am

I just recently went with the Bikemp3 digital player. After playing with the setup program I can now load 16 disc with 99 songs each on the thumb drive. I also just discovered that I can unplug the thumb drive and use my ipod or Iheart radio from my cell phone. No more fumbling with or carrying cd's around. I haven't tried any books on cd's but I don't think it would be any problem. I'm pretty happy with all the music I have at hand now.

Now for new speakers and amp.

Ride Safe!

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:38 am

Hi, get your self one of these, they work great and all controlled by radio switches.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ ... /120/63575

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 am

Good ideas folks but really want to stick with the CD setup. I don't have a digital or bluetooth setup on this bike and don't want to buy new helmets that are bluetooth compatible. I'm not real big on the digital stuff yet, I don't have all the music on my phone, heck I don't even text...lol hate texting. Anyway the next bike will have the newer setups but as for now I want to keep the CD player on the bike. Any other ideas?

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 am

Contact Sierra electronics to see if they can help you.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:Good ideas folks but really want to stick with the CD setup. I don't have a digital or bluetooth setup on this bike and don't want to buy new helmets that are bluetooth compatible. I'm not real big on the digital stuff yet, I don't have all the music on my phone, heck I don't even text...lol hate texting. Anyway the next bike will have the newer setups but as for now I want to keep the CD player on the bike. Any other ideas?

I think you're misunderstanding what the BikeMP3 player does. You don't need to replace helmets, you don't need bluetooth, none of that stuff. Basically, it replaces the CD player, and works exactly like the CD player. Your bike still thinks it has a CD player, and to the rider, it also appears that it has a CD player - only every CD has 99 tracks on it.

The music (or books, in this case) is stored as an MP3 format file. You can convert your existing CD's to MP3 files through a process called "ripping." There are hundreds of free programs that can do this for you very easily.

The advantages are much more capacity - many more songs, no moving parts to break, and you can't skip the music by riding over bumpy roads.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Flyn Tiger wrote:Good ideas folks but really want to stick with the CD setup. I don't have a digital or bluetooth setup on this bike and don't want to buy new helmets that are bluetooth compatible. I'm not real big on the digital stuff yet, I don't have all the music on my phone, heck I don't even text...lol hate texting. Anyway the next bike will have the newer setups but as for now I want to keep the CD player on the bike. Any other ideas?

I think you're misunderstanding what the BikeMP3 player does. You don't need to replace helmets, you don't need bluetooth, none of that stuff. Basically, it replaces the CD player, and works exactly like the CD player. Your bike still thinks it has a CD player, and to the rider, it also appears that it has a CD player - only every CD has 99 tracks on it.

The music (or books, in this case) is stored as an MP3 format file. You can convert your existing CD's to MP3 files through a process called "ripping." There are hundreds of free programs that can do this for you very easily.

The advantages are much more capacity - many more songs, no moving parts to break, and you can't skip the music by riding over bumpy roads.

And it's smaller than a pack of cigs.,so it takes up no trunk space.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:09 pm

UPDATE... Well I sprayed some electrical cleaner into the CD player and to no avail it still does not work and I have 3 CD's stuck in the player. So, I went to our local bike shop and looked at and had them tell me what a MP3 player would do, and like you said, that is what I am about to install. I like that I will be able to talk on my cell if need be and I will just need to update some things here at home so I can download songs on a SD card. My only regret is not being able to go to any Cracker Barrel Store and renting books on CD. I'll figure out something on that. Thanks again for all of your input. :D

PS...What are some ideas that you are doing with the extra space in the trunk??? :idea: Anything special? I thought I could add a holster to it and have a place to put my firearm when traveling if it is not on my side.

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 am

Glad to see you are going with the MP3 player. As far as the extra spare I just store more junk. Actually I store thing that I might need to get to quick. A flash light,fuses, small tools and the MP3 player. I mounted my player in the CD compartment using Velcro,so it is easy to remove it when needed. That way I can use the same hole that the CD player cable used. It keeps it out of the way and protects it when I need the trunk for my trips.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 am

I took the cd mounting bracket out of the trunk so like I said I have alot of room in there now. I will be mounting the mp3 player on the side of that compartment so like you said, junk will probably be going in there. Cleaning supplies and a tire pump and repair kit will fit nicely......yeah that is what will go in there.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I do not have a CD player on my 1800 but I do remember reading that CD's with labels cause problems in the players. That may be your problem but then again, it may be just nearing the end of its useful life. The Bike MP3 is definetly the way to go.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

I think its on its last leg. It's a 02 and had under 12000 miles on it when I bought it 4 years ago, now has 65,000 miles on it . Guess its used up.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Postby cihilb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm

you can still get the audio books and then convert them to MP3 files. Lot's of programs available to do this.
Windows media player will also do it. Open media player, go to options and then RIP music. Pick rip settings and then MP3. Take note of where the music is being 'ripped' to. Then just copy this to the SD card.

Deputy1952
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby Deputy1952 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:UPDATE... Well I sprayed some electrical cleaner into the CD player and to no avail it still does not work and I have 3 CD's stuck in the player. So, I went to our local bike shop and looked at and had them tell me what a MP3 player would do, and like you said, that is what I am about to install. I like that I will be able to talk on my cell if need be and I will just need to update some things here at home so I can download songs on a SD card. My only regret is not being able to go to any Cracker Barrel Store and renting books on CD. I'll figure out something on that. Thanks again for all of your input. :D

PS...What are some ideas that you are doing with the extra space in the trunk??? :idea: Anything special? I thought I could add a holster to it and have a place to put my firearm when traveling if it is not on my side.

I also have a 2002 Wing - bought it last August with 19,700 miles on it. I then installed the MP3 player. Absolutely love it. Tell me, though. How are you using your cellphone through the motorcycle helmets? I'd like to do that. I have an iPhone 5. :D

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Deputy1952, I am told that under the left side storage box on the fairing dash is a cord that will plug into your cell or a ipod. If it is not there like it was not on mine there is a place to where you can buy the adaptor cord and plug it in then run it to your cell/ipod. The plug in is under the box in that cluster of wires. I have a Ram mounting system on my bike and that will hold my cell. Then I can see who may call or dial numbers while at stop lights.

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Ghostman wrote:Contact Sierra electronics to see if they can help you.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/

I just bought an '03 with the Hondaline 6 CD changer that has "issues" - My first thought, also, was Sierra Electronics. The e-mail I got from them said they don't work on the CD changers.
BTW- I have the jack in the left hand pocket for audio input as well. Even still.....I'd sure like to get the CD changer working.....
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

jinx

Postby jinx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Deputy52 try one of the bluetooth headsets. Sena and Cardo are just two of many that will allow you to use/listen to your phone while on the road. Connect a Bluetooth dongle to the GLs intercom and all the bikes audio can be heard in the helmet thru the headset.

Deputy1952
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby Deputy1952 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

jinx wrote:Deputy52 try one of the bluetooth headsets. Sena and Cardo are just two of many that will allow you to use/listen to your phone while on the road. Connect a Bluetooth dongle to the GLs intercom and all the bikes audio can be heard in the helmet thru the headset.

Can you suggest a particular BT dongle to connect to the intercom, and where to connect it? Thanks in advance.

jinx

Postby jinx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Any of the cheap ones on ebay will work. Just make sure it is stereo transmitter.The one I use is Azeca BTT005 Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter but it has doubled in price sense I bought mine. It is married to my Sena headset. You can buy an adapter to connect a 3.5mm stereo jack to the GLs intercom connector. If you like you can hardwire a jack into the intercom cable and install the jack in the left pocket.

goodolboy1
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800

Postby goodolboy1 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:37 pm

There is a fella on EBay that will repair the 6 disk changer.
I have the same problem with mine and was gonna send it
to him for repair up until I heard about the MP3 player that
works with the same controls on the handle bar of 02 GW
1800. I bought one of em, and plugged it in, and darn! I honestly
do like it. I removed the cd changer and mounted the small
MP3 player in the same space where the cd changer was. I
still have the cd changer all boxed up, but doubt that I will
ever send it in for repair. Never the less, Check out the
fella of EBay. He holds a high score so he and or his shop
is honest and can be trusted... Good luck ;)
2002 Goldwing 1800

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 pm

goodolboy.......you failed to mention the e-Bay repairman's name!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

goodolboy1

Postby goodolboy1 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

NKYWinger wrote:goodolboy.......you failed to mention the e-Bay repairman's name!

Oh..... I didnt think we was to do things like that. Now that I know it's ok to do so, I'll post it here
if I can get it in here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280671593270?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Hope this works. I'll try the link after I post this to see if it does, and if not I will try it again.

Below is a part of the fellas EBay message:

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A REPAIR OF YOUR HONDA GOLDWING GL 1800 CHANGER

We are not selling a changer, this auction is for a repair only.

It's EASY!! After the purchase of this auction, send your changer to the address below along with a phone number and a brief description of the complaint.

SAVE BIG MONEY avoiding high cost auto dealer changer replacement charges.

90 Day Warranty is included with all repairs.

If changer has stuck CDs do not attempt to remove discs as to further damage mechanism. We will return all stuck CDs back with your repaired changer. If changer has major damages due to customer abuse, additional charges may apply.

We also repair many Acura, Honda, Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, Nissan, Infiniti, GM, Toyota, Lexus, and Isuzu, radios. Please do not hesitate to call us for any radio repair needs.

Rive Automotive Electronics

390 Carrol Ct. C

Brentwood, CA 94513

Any questions call (925) 513-0021 Or Toll Free: 866-99RIVE9

M - F 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST
2002 Goldwing 1800

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 am

Thanks for the link! I also think I'll just go with the MP3/iPod idea.
It's controllable from the handlebars and holds WAY more music!
Plus, there are a number of plug-and-play wiring kits available....
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

goodolboy1

Postby goodolboy1 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 am

Your very welcome john, I really think you'll like it. I want to make a suggestion, when you purchase the SD memory card, get the class 10 type because they are faster than the rest. Also, if you get the 32 gigabyte card, you'll have more than enough room for all the music or ebooks that you enjoy. I myself enjoy a good movie, so there are a few that I found on YouTube, and downloaded them then converted them to mp3 so I could could listen to em while riding if I want. Anyway, I as well as some of the other riders here really think that you'll like thr mp3 player should you go with it. If you do, be sure to let us know what you think ok? And if you have any questions about the sd card just ask. Have a great day.... Roger aka Goodolboy1
2002 Goldwing 1800

theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Postby theback80 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:45 pm

mp3 technology is the greatest for music, but is a pain for books on CD. Ripping is easy but time consuming. And many CD's I've ripped I've had to edit all the names of the individual files either because the file names are the same across multiple CD's or because the naming convention on the files cause the chronological order of the files to be out of sync with the alphabetical order.

For example, below Chapter 10 will play between Chapter 1 and 2 if I don't do some renaming.
Chapter1.mp3
Chapter10.mp3
Chapter2.mp3
Chapter3.mp3

Based on other's opinions it sounds like I'm in the minority :cry: . But from what I can tell, compared to the ease of checking out CD's from your local Library or using Cracker Barrel, mp3 technology is a step backwards.
Has anyone figured out a simpler process to manage ripping multiple CD's that takes care of these issues :?:

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”