XM Radio Reception

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

XM Radio Reception

Postby baumedagn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello all. Has anyone found a cure for the lousy XM reception on the factory installed unit? I had a set up on my GL1500 that I put in myself and always had excellent reception. When I was fortunate enough to be able to get a new GL1800, I got the level 2 so I didn't have to fool around removing the GPS and XM every time we stopped someplace. I was aware of the GPS limitations but I didn't figure on the poor XM reception. On the interstate, no problems. But back roads with any little obstruction and it cuts out. I didn't have this problem on my GL1500, and not in my car, just this bike. I'm hoping someone out that has a suggestion for improving the factory system. (short of yanking it all out and starting over!) Thanks

theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: XM Radio Reception

Postby theback80 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm in the same boat. I just got a new GW with XM and was surprised at how little it took to cause the signal to cut out. It got so irritating we finally gave up and went back to our ipods.

SXM_Help
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby SXM_Help » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi there -

We're sorry to hear you are having troubles with our signal. We would first recommend sending your device a signal refresh: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/a ... /kw/signal

If this doesn't help, we'll be happy to troubleshoot with you further. When you have a moment, fill out this form and we'll be in touch at your earliest convenience.
https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/d ... _media/638

Thanks,
Jess
SiriusXM Digital Care Team

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm

I've an 02 with after market XM/Sirus reciever that I installed. I noticed immediately the antenna was having issues and I narrowed it down to a very loose connector on the end of the cable. The connector just wobbled around on the radio connection. I had to physically close it up a tad to snug it up, then tape over it. I haven't had issues since without having removed the mount for one reason of the another. At its worst it finally gave me an antenna connection error, but up to that point the signal would drop without any displayed error, it still displayed as playing and would go silent. I'm not sure where Honda mounted the antenna on you bike but the connection should be traceable back to the radio reciever somewhere, that's where I'd look if the suggestions above don't resolve. it maybe caching enough stream in the wide open to not be a problem but unable to do so while in the back woods. I'm going to have to replace my antenna before long, or at leaast the defective mangled connector; it is rather delicate so be easy with it.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

WGM
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 NAV,XM

Postby WGM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 pm

HI I HAVE A 2012 AND IT WOULD LOSE THE SIGNEL HEADING SOUTH ON 4 LANE HWY. BUT WOULD PLAY FINE HEADING NORTH WITH THAT BEING SAID I BROUGHT IT BACK TO THE DEALER . THAY CHANGED THE ANTENNA AND THE NAV/XM UNIT NOW IT WORKS VERY WELL

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”