New member question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Windglider
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 ABS cherry Red

New member question

Postby Windglider » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and a new owner of a 2005 gl 1800. I'm having a heel to toe shifter w/floorboards put on. I'm a fairly big person 6'1 300 and I found that while I absolutely love the bike, the leg room makes it very difficult to shift and ride for an extended time. I'm hoping that the new shifter and floorboards will afford me a little more flexibility . Can anyone tell whether I'm on the right path or need a better solution ? All and any suggestions are most welcome. :)

jacksprat54
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Re: New member question

Postby jacksprat54 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Windglider, I think you're headed in the right direction. I did the same thing to my '78 GL1000; it did give me more leg room but unfortunately mine scraped the pavement when turning right so I had to take them off. Hopefully you will not have that problem. Welcome to the group!

winger05
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby winger05 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 pm

If your 05 still has the stock seat, you may want to consider making a change. You can take a look at some seat options here: http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

May give you a little more leg room and be more comfortable on longer rides.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:49 pm

X2 on the seat.As well as being able to move you back and up if you want it will also be a more comfortable seat.Mother Honda either doesn't know how to build a decent seat or else they just don't want to.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:12 pm

I don't have an 1800 but on my 1200 it didn't give me anymore space. I switch to pegs and they are more comfortable and they weren't in the way when I put my feet down and don't drag in the corners. I would suggest a new seat for your butt and ISO highway pegs for your legs. I would try these before the floor boards because your butt hurts so the seat is a no brainier and with or without floorboards you are going to want highway pegs to stretch out on .

Windglider

Postby Windglider » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm

I was thinking about replacing the seat too, but what I want to do and what my money says I can do are two entirely different things! So tomorrow it's to shop to have the new stuff put on. And maybe after I save enough coins, I'll change the seat. Just a little more room and I can ride....finally. :D

Windglider

Postby Windglider » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 pm

And thanks for all the help,I appreciate it greatly

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Postby Wingrider44 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 pm

It is my humble opinion that you are wasting time and money on trying to fix your problem with floorboards and heel/toe shifter. On your left foot you are reducing the space available on the floorboard because the heel portion of the shifter will be in the way. So that will cramp your comfort even more. The stock seat can be modified to move you back some to give you more leg room. Or there are lots of custom seat options to chose from.

Mounting highway pegs is a must just to change positions and keep circulation going in the legs. Bottom line is save your money and continue to use the pegs and spend your money saved on modifying the seat and highway pegs. You got to do what you think is best for you but you did ask for opinions. I think you're on the wrong course with the floorboards.
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 am

Ultimate makes a seat for for six foot plus riders there a great company to do business with. They make a great seat and have loaner program were you can try the seat before you buy one. Heal to toe shifters on a wing can lead to tranny damage. It's very easy to miss shift and force the tranny in gear which is not good at all for theses transmission. Have read about many who use them with a lot of problems. Plus if your under warranty mother honda can void them.

Windglider

Postby Windglider » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes indeed I asked for opinions and I meant what I said, wingrider44 , I like your idea about modifing the seat I have. But where can I get that done in Md.? If anybody's got info on where to go, I'll take it. I checked out The Ultimate seat website, and found that the price wasn't half bad at all. I got half the money for that king and just need to get the rest.......easier said than done! ;) Once again thanks and we'ii see how it goes from here. I'll keep you posted

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:54 am

There is also one of the Trike dealers that is offering a peg, shifter and break relocating kit that will move the rider's pegs down and forward a little. They will work on non-triked Wings too. I'm not that tall so I haven't kept track of who has it but look around. That may help you get some extra leg room.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 am

Windglider wrote:Yes indeed I asked for opinions and I meant what I said, wingrider44 , I like your idea about modifing the seat I have. But where can I get that done in Md.? If anybody's got info on where to go, I'll take it. I checked out The Ultimate seat website, and found that the price wasn't half bad at all. I got half the money for that king and just need to get the rest.......easier said than done! ;) Once again thanks and we'ii see how it goes from here. I'll keep you posted

Just keep in mind that the room gained for the rider comes out of the passengers share. :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Windglider

Postby Windglider » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey everybody, has any riders in the md, va area heard of bay country upholstery, it's located in Annapolis ,md. Has anybody had any work done by them? Trying to get my stock seat reworked and want to know if this is a good place to use. Thanks in advance for any info.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”