Brake Tail-Light Nightmare

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Brake Tail-Light Nightmare

Postby PupFrueh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Last minute disaster...brake tail-lights are not working properly. When front and/or back brake is applied the rear brake lights do NOT come on -- but the rear turn signal lights flash "on" when brakes applied. Also when turn lights are used and when brake is applied the turn signal flash will stop working and the rear brake lights still will not function. The oddest part is that the rear tail brake spoiler light works properly at all times. A few days ago I removed the seat and checked all the wire connections - the rear brake lights started operating correctly ... I thought pressure on the rear connector may have caused some short - I previously had trouble with the rear tail-lights not working when I tried using a rear tail-light modulator. The main circuit connector wire has been replaced last Fall. Today I was preparing the bike for a saddlesore 1000 mile run to Moonshine, IL - mounted the seat back on and started up the bike. The rear tail lights went back to the "oh my God" mode of turn signal lights coming on only when brake applied. Removed the seat - still have the problem, checked the rear tail light connection wire (all seems correct), checked relay switches (interchanged other 15 amp relays for the rear brakes with others - no change in operation), checked and replaced fuses (no changes), took out battery and reconnected terminals - no change. I had a friend tell me I may have a grounding issue - but haven't located where the ground is located. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Frueh

Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Brake Tail-Light Nightmare

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Dont take this wrong but are you sure that the modulator is wired up right? If you hit the breaks and turn signals lite up it could be wrong. Also if you take the seat off and try the brakes do they work the right way? if so then I would be looking at where the seat is pinching any wires Good luck.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:06 pm

This sort of craziness is almost always due to a bad ground. The ground return for the brake lights is not connected, so they find a ground - which happens to be through your turn signals.

Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:10 am

There is a notoriously bad ground under the seat. I have no specifics on the local.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”