GL1800 Front Brake Pads

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
cmwagner
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing 1800GL

GL1800 Front Brake Pads

Postby cmwagner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:05 am

Hi

I ordered a set of Front Brake Pads from Cyclemax in Ohio, they were delivered to me here in South Africa, I went on to install them, pretty easy.

After about 1000 Miles they started scraping (only description I can think of) and the front wheel is relatively hard to turn by hand, I am venturing on a 500 Mile Ride next weekend, prior to my adventure I was wondering if anyone could give me insight into this problem, just don't need them to Lock-Up on me.

Thanks Guys

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: GL1800 Front Brake Pads

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 am

first thing I would look at - have you had the recall performed for the secondary master cylinder? What you sound like you have is a brake caliper/brake reservoir problem. Probably with dirt. When you installed the new pads, did you clean up the caliper pistons before pushing them back into the calipers? You could have introduced dirt into that part of the system, and now have a piston sticking problem. I doubt very much if the pads are at fault.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cmwagner
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing 1800GL

Postby cmwagner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 am

Thank you for the reply, to answer your suggestions, hope you can assist further

We FAR South of the Equator and don't know anything about a recall from Honda, can you please elaborate so I can then go to Honda South Africa with more information.

I did not know that you had to clean the Calliper Pistons, only learnt that today by going through some of the other Posts on this Site. The Manual advises how to do the Job but there is nothing about the Cleaning of the Pistons, Do you think I should take it all apart again and clean it - or is it too late for that, if it is too late - can you please advise what I can do.

If I don't clean them and leave them as is - do you think I am causing harm to the braking system or to myself and my Wife on the back - in case they Lock up

Thanks again

Cheers Colin

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 am

My thoughts would be to take them apart, only because you are having problems. If you weren't having any issues you could put off giving them attention until a later date. In this case you are having problems that could most certainly be caused by the caliper. Even if it's not the piston, by taking everything apart you will likely see the cause. Wheel should not be hard to turn. Something is binding somewhere. Heck, maybe you picked up a rock or something that got lodged somewhere. The only way to know is to disassemble.
Besides, you did say that it was relatively easy.

Steve

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 pm

As the brakes where working before you changed the pads, it's unlikely that you are suddenly affected by the safety recall (it's possible, but very unlikely). I few ideas/suggestions, when you remove the old pads, it is always a good idea to clean the calipers and pistons, to prevent them sticking. Sticking brake pistons will cause the pads to bind and will cause squeaking and a stiff front wheel. Your old pads may have been organic pads and your new ones might be sintered or semi metalic, both of these pad types contain ferrous material and can cause more squeaking than organic pads, this is normal, but they should not cause a stiff wheel. I would strongly suggest removing the new pads and having a good clean out of the calipers and put the new pads back in and see if things got better.

Gary

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm

I don't know if this is possible as I haven't had to change pads on my GL1800 yet, but are the pads made for "inner" and "outer"? Meaning is it possible to have put two of the "outer" pads in the same caliper? If so, this may be what's causing the binding. Just thinking out loud.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 pm

It comes to mind that, if you needed to change the pads, you may have previously added brake fluid to the master cylinder to replace any that was compensating for worn out pads. If this is the case, your problem may be solved as simply as bleeding the brakes to relieve the excess fluid. Is this a possibility? You did not mention how long and how many kilometers you had owned the bike.

ImageImage

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 pm

themainviking wrote:It comes to mind that, if you needed to change the pads, you may have previously added brake fluid to the master cylinder to replace any that was compensating for worn out pads. If this is the case, your problem may be solved as simply as bleeding the brakes to relieve the excess fluid. Is this a possibility? You did not mention how long and how many kilometers you had owned the bike.

That fluid leaves the caliper when the pistons are retracted for pad replacement.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 am

SteveB123 wrote:
themainviking wrote:It comes to mind that, if you needed to change the pads, you may have previously added brake fluid to the master cylinder to replace any that was compensating for worn out pads. If this is the case, your problem may be solved as simply as bleeding the brakes to relieve the excess fluid. Is this a possibility? You did not mention how long and how many kilometers you had owned the bike.

That fluid leaves the caliper when the pistons are retracted for pad replacement.

Yes, that is correct. However, if there is too much fluid in the system, this cannot occur. Retracting the pistons forceably would create pressure in the master cylinder, which would in turn repressurize the calipers quite quickly.

ImageImage

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 am

themainviking wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:

Yes, that is correct. However, if there is too much fluid in the system, this cannot occur. Retracting the pistons forceably would create pressure in the master cylinder, which would in turn repressurize the calipers quite quickly.

So you're thinking the master cylinder reservoir would be pressurized enough to for the pads in, when the lever is pulled?

In my experience, the reservoir leaks before that happens.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 am

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/brakepads
Hondas brake recall is near the end of the article.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

SteveB123 wrote:So you're thinking the master cylinder reservoir would be pressurized enough to for the pads in, when the lever is pulled?

In my experience, the reservoir leaks before that happens.

Okay, that had not been my experience, though admittedly, my Honda experience is limited. My experience has been mostly with the John Deer Tractor of motorcycles, and this does occur with them. I have never had a master cylinder leak from this on a Harley, although given enough excess fluid, it would most certainly happen. It does not take very much extra fluid though to cause dragging pads.

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 pm

Left front pads have a thin plate or spacer behind them. Could you have left the plates in the callipers and put a second set inplace with the new pads? There is barely enough room for the basic configuration when installing new pads, excess plates would be an issue. Otherwise I'd bleed the system and check the levels. Since its only a 30 minute task I'd opt to extract the new pads, pump the calipers out and clean them just incase they are sticking, open the bleed valve to compress them back and re-install the pads. Make sure the calipers are sliding freely on their mount pins, if not then just one pad could be dragging if the caliper pins are gunked up. Of course it could the pads are just thicker than 3mm (front oem pads are 3mm atop the base, rear pads are 6mm so you can't mix them up); might just be crud on the pad or pads that are just too thick. Still sounds like a do over and double check your work.

Don't take it personal but reading South Africa and knowing as little as I do about your location, I envision lots of sand! I may be wrong but could there be sand catching between the rotors and the pads?
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:47 am

I do not believe anyone is capable of properly diagnosing a concern remotely without being able to examine to bike!!!!
Also, the secondary master cylinder recall has nothing to do w/the operation of the front brakes of the Wing. A defective secondary master cylinder allows the rear brake pads to slowly apply more and more pressure without releasing to a point of lock up. Caused by the plunger not returning far enough blocking the fluid return port.
Finally, it should be somewhat difficult to rotate the front wheel as disc brake pads do rub on the rotors 100% of the time.
It is possible to have to much brake fluid in the system. That is a good reason to always take the top off the master cylinder when replacing pads and remove a small amount of fluid prior to retracting the pucks!
Having said all that, part of proper brake procedure is to make sure the pucks and slider pins are clean when replacing pads.
I would suggest removing the calipers and doing the proper cleaning and reassembly of them if you have compared the rotation ability of your front wheel to another bike and it is easier to rotate.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 am

Sounds like the consensus is similar among many. I guess you better get tearing into those brakes Cmwagner. And do keep us posted on your find.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”