I have a Question about an MP3 player.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

I have a Question about an MP3 player.

Postby Wingrider44 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:45 pm

This is the mp3 player I installed on my 2008 GL1800 with Navi but no ABS. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-CD-Changer-i ... 5b4&_uhb=1
The items works great but it has the flashing "No Disc" problem. I can get it to display properly if I load music on only the root directory of the SD card and no more than 99 songs. It will display as CD0, the Track number and the playing time. If I go to another directory, such as CD02, I receive the flashing "No Disc" error again. My iPod Touch playes through it perfectly but again I get the flashing "No Disc" error as my display.
I understand that the BikeMP3 V3 does the same thing with the Honda Navi units. So you have to buy a "dongle" which resets the Honda radio system. Has anyone been able to find a solution as a work around? I could purchase the Dongle from BikeMP3 for $19.00 but it would not be plug compatible. The output plug on my unit is like an HDMI cable plug. Which means that I would have to purchase a compatible cable for the Dongle as well.
I know that I could most likely fix it with getting rid of my player and purchasing the BikeMP2 unit with the reset dongle. But that's $40 more and I'm cheap. And it has peaked my curiosity. There is something about the difference in the way the Honda CD player initializes the radio between the Navi bikes and the Non Navi bikes. And my current player isn't doing it quite right. Also, with the Navi bikes the BikeMP3 player will only handle 6 "CDs" but with the non Navi bikes it will handle 9 "CDs". Each "CD" to handle 99 "tracks". This is due to the Honda CD display only handling single digit "CD" and two digit "Tracks".
Any discussion/advice/knowledge about this would be gratefully accepted.

Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: I have a Question about an MP3 player.

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I have an 09 Canadian Navi with ABS, which is the same as the 08 US model bike. I have a J&M version of MP3 player, and it does not do this. Also, I seem to be able to put 99 tunes per folder including root. I understood that this number of tunes limitation was not due to NAVI/Non NAVI bikes, but more due to 08 Models as opposed to newer than 08. The 09 and 10 Canadian models have the same electronics as the 08 US model. Only the U.S. got updated stereo systems in 2009 and 2010. I cannot attest to others than J&M.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm

I just plug the audio jack into my iPod and hit PLAY on the iPod and AUX on the radio. I can't control which songs it plays but they are all songs that I like because I'm the one who put them on there. I can control the volume via the radio controls.

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Postby Wingrider44 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I already use the Auxiliary for my XM Radio. The point to having a device like the MP3 player I have is so that you can control the selection of music. The CD function of the bike shows little enough information on the screen. In many respects the electronics on the Goldwing are very antiquated. Be that as it may, it's just a little frustrating that if I load a USB memory device with 99 tracks of music in the root directory it shows CD0 and the track number and playing time counting. (In other words, it's nearly working as it should.) It should be able to distinguish between directories and read them as CDs (up to a minimum of 6 which is the number of CDs the OEM CD Changer holds). After all, that's the way the player is programmed. I just wonder what happens in the Honda radio system that needs to be initialized to have it recognize the player as the CD Changer like it does on the no Navi Models. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 am

I have the same exact player. I've had some issues with it reading thumb drives consistently. First thing I found is never press AD SEl/RDM on your radio while in CD mode, you will have to reset the radio (pulling fuse 21 & 22 for several minutes to regain control, its common with these players). Make sure the connector to the bike is securely connected to the CD wire jack. Its more likely the connecting wire into the MCARCDC itself, road vibration will wiggle the connection loose if the wire hangs from the device, I disconnect it with the power off and reconnect probably once a month as I get it snagged on things moving about in the trunk. I've had an ongoing issue swapping thumb drives it seems to work ok if you select FM then power down the bike, swap drives and then power up and select CD; though it seems to get a bit confused at first try changing CD from the controls once and wait for it to rescan the thumb drive. honestly this is a mediocre device and though it works and is cheap it will still occasionally stop reading for a couple seconds like somebody hit pause. I honestly think there is an issue with the device that makes it sensitive to vibration, probably the wire or thumb drive connection. The manner in which you load the music and the format the music is recorded will help a lot.

I have tried several means to load music and a variety of folder structures. here are a few things I've found helpful. First all music is MP3 format and encoded at 128bit, high rates seam to cause memory issues (too dense a data stream I think). I use MP3 Gain to adjust the volumes to 90% so they all have a consistent volume. You won't need large memory devices, 4gb will be fine, anything larger seems to cause problems and are a waste. Not all Thumb drives are the same, if you go really cheap the memory chip delivers the data slow so get a good name brand drive and stick with it if it works ( I use 3 16gb drives and they are less than half used). Format the memory device you are using to ensure no manufacturer files or programs are present, I had to use Windows Vista to format in Fat32. I load the first group of files comprising CD 1 onto the root of the memory drive. Then name folders CD2 thru CD6 (I have used up to 20 folders CD01-C20 but it was hard to tell what I was listening to and my 2002 only displayed up to CD 9). I load each folder CD2 thru CD6 sequentially with the music that will comprise each of the remaining CDs. I built the list for each CD in folders on my computer and preceded the song filenames with numbers 01 thru 99 to match the order I wanted them to play, then copied each CD to the thumb drive starting with CD1 to the root, CD2 to the CD2 folder and so on.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”