IPod Touch 5th Generation

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
LouG
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

IPod Touch 5th Generation

Postby LouG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:11 pm

I have looked through the forums for info on connecting an IPod Touch 5th generation and ended up with the J&M version, not the Bluetooth version. It doesn't work and I am considering sending it back for a refund. It seems everyone has problems with these type devices. I used to connect it to the AUX cable in the left pocket but I thought it would be nice to use the CD handlebar controls. How does a power outlet connect to a 2008 GL1800? If I put a USB plug in the power adapter, I could charge the IPod and still use the AUX cable?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: IPod Touch 5th Generation

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

LouG wrote:I have looked through the forums for info on connecting an IPod Touch 5th generation and ended up with the J&M version, not the Bluetooth version. It doesn't work and I am considering sending it back for a refund. It seems everyone has problems with these type devices. I used to connect it to the AUX cable in the left pocket but I thought it would be nice to use the CD handlebar controls. How does a power outlet connect to a 2008 GL1800? If I put a USB plug in the power adapter, I could charge the IPod and still use the AUX cable?

Yes...but you'll likely end up with ground loop noise (a whining noise that varies with engine speed). In that case, you'll need to install a ground loop interrupter on the AUX input cable.

LouG

Postby LouG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 pm

The J&M comes with an MP3 storage device. Last night I was able to convert my playlist in ITunes to MP3 and load them on the J&M SD card. Although I can't use my IPod, I can still use the CD controls for the MP3 player. Looks like a plan.

tbruno
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Postby tbruno » Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 am

I had to put a toggle switch in the left pocket, J&M never told me I needed this. You have to use this switch every time when you you the IPOD or the radio. J&M has a newer version. You can get it and they will take your old one, for me the new would not work. I have to take all the wires out and replace them with the new one.

LouG

Postby LouG » Mon May 12, 2014 3:38 pm

The JMDM-IPAX_GL18 is the version I got. The MP3 player will work using the connection to the CD player and allows you to use the handlebar controls. I have an IPod Touch, 5th generation and their advertising says it is compatible. The cable connection for the IPod in their kit is a 30 pin connector. That means you have to purchase an additional $39 lightning cable that will interface the two. So I purchase it, connect it and --------nothing. Doesn't work!! I emailed back and forth with the owner many times trying to explain the problem and all I got was spin and the runaround. The MP3 player works but don't count on your newer IPods working.

LouG

Postby LouG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:17 am

This is an update on the J&M JMDM-IPAX_GL18 unit I wrote about earlier. The MP3 player did not work very long and it started locking up and then quit altogether. I sent the unit back to them and they said it worked fine but that they were sending me another unit.( How could that be!!! ) My IPOD Touch 5th Generation would not connect to their new unit at all. The IPOD message said this device is not compatible with this IPOD. I called them again and they couldn't comprehend what was wrong. At this point, I had had enough and called Honda Direct Line Parts where I had purchased the product. The unit has a 2 or 3 year warranty ( the unit was under warranty ) and I explained what I had gone through. Dan (senior) the owner of Direct Line Parts asked me to return the unit to him and that he would contact J&M. He did and they refused to credit the device stating the problem was on my end with my equipment. Dan graciously offered me credit towards future purchases and I accepted. Many thanks to Dan, who did his best to help a customer with a problem that was no fault of his own. I think J&M needs to take a long hard look at their customer service technical capability and initial contact and follow-up in dealing with customer issues.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”