Side compartments won't open

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
BigBtheBrit
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800

Side compartments won't open

Postby BigBtheBrit » Wed May 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Can't get my side panniers open using the rear handles located under the trunk, luckily enough am able to open the trunk with my key fob and have access to the push button option inside the trunk.
Are these handles manual with cables or electric switch activated.

Ideas please

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: Side compartments won't open

Postby jinx » Thu May 29, 2014 4:11 am

They are manual by cable. I've never had to use the release in the trunk so I don't know if they work the latch if the latches are still locked. If you unlock the latch with the key rather than the remote will the side latches work ?
Also are you using the unlock button on the remote ? If you use the trunk open button it only opens the trunk and not the sides ?

BigBtheBrit
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800

Postby BigBtheBrit » Thu May 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks Jinx, discovered the panniers need to be unlocked with the key at the trunk lock before they will operate on the latches.
Only using the remote to unlock the trunk will not automatically unlock the panniers. Fooled me, so hopefully will fool anyone else wanting to get in them to steal my goodies

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Fri May 30, 2014 5:33 am

If you use the unlock button on the remote and not the trunk unlock button all three compartments will be unlocked.
You will still need to use the latches to open each compartment. Also if you use the remote unlock button the bike will lock the compartment latches automatically after 30sec.
Glad I could help.
Thanks for the feed back.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”