J&M Headsets and Passenger Voice

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Auggie
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing Honda

J&M Headsets and Passenger Voice

Postby Auggie » Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am

I have a 2013 GL 1800 which I bought over the winter, new. This is the 8th new Wing that I have purchased. I loved the other Wings but this besides the Navi system has an issue with the passenger voice. I bought new J&M headsets, Performance 279, as the old were 5 pin and the newer bikes are 7 or 8 pin. The issue is with the passenger voice, it is muffled or very screachy, then it is tinny and I am unable to under stand her most of the time. We have exchanged headsets, changed the cords and extensions. I have played with the treble and base and the volume of the headsets. She has moved the mic close and away from her mouth. She has talked louder than normal and then again to the other extreme softer. We can hear each other better on our Harley than we can on this. One other thing is that I can't get the music to mute when we talk to each other. Is anyone or has anyone been having this type of issue? Maybe I just need retrained.
Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: J&M Headsets and Passenger Voice

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 29, 2014 10:35 am

Auggie wrote:I have a 2013 GL 1800 which I bought over the winter, new. This is the 8th new Wing that I have purchased. I loved the other Wings but this besides the Navi system has an issue with the passenger voice. I bought new J&M headsets, Performance 279, as the old were 5 pin and the newer bikes are 7 or 8 pin. The issue is with the passenger voice, it is muffled or very screachy, then it is tinny and I am unable to under stand her most of the time. We have exchanged headsets, changed the cords and extensions. I have played with the treble and base and the volume of the headsets. She has moved the mic close and away from her mouth. She has talked louder than normal and then again to the other extreme softer. We can hear each other better on our Harley than we can on this. One other thing is that I can't get the music to mute when we talk to each other. Is anyone or has anyone been having this type of issue? Maybe I just need retrained.

Can she hear you OK? If she can hear you OK, and you can't hear her very well, and you've already tried swapping headsets with no change, then I would start considering that the problem might be with the bike, not the headsets.

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Thu May 29, 2014 11:54 am

She is able to hear me just fine and very clear. We did trade headsets and it was the same as with her headset. Is there some adjustment on the bike radio system or intercom system that I can adjust by myself? If not can is there something a dealer can adjust?
Thanks, Auggie

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Normally I would suggest following the passenger intercom connection back to check connectors for oxidized or bad connections, but being that the bike is brand new, this shouldn't be an issue. I would also then suggest checking the headset connector for a bent pin, but you've already tried swapping headsets with no change, so the problem is definitely isolated to the rear passenger connection somehow.

Just to confirm, does the passenger have a separate volume/push to talk module installed? If possible, you might want to try adjusting that and checking its connections (also give the PTT button a couple pushes and wiggles).

If all else fails, I would say to take it to the dealer - it's obviously under warranty, and it's their responsibility to make sure it works properly.

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 am

The bike doesn't have a passenger push to talk or volume control. There is a seat heater switch in place of the control on previous Goldwings.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

Auggie wrote:The bike doesn't have a passenger push to talk or volume control. There is a seat heater switch in place of the control on previous Goldwings.

Right, but it can have one as an option (the connector is there under the seat).

If you don't see any obvious bent pins, and don't feel comfortable removing the seat and checking connectors, I would take it back to the dealer. A bike less than a year old shouldn't have this problem - let Honda pay to fix it.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Auggie wrote:I have a 2013 GL 1800 which I bought over the winter, new. This is the 8th new Wing that I have purchased. I loved the other Wings but this besides the Navi system has an issue with the passenger voice. I bought new J&M headsets, Performance 279, as the old were 5 pin and the newer bikes are 7 or 8 pin. The issue is with the passenger voice, it is muffled or very screachy, then it is tinny and I am unable to under stand her most of the time. We have exchanged headsets, changed the cords and extensions. I have played with the treble and base and the volume of the headsets. She has moved the mic close and away from her mouth. She has talked louder than normal and then again to the other extreme softer. We can hear each other better on our Harley than we can on this. One other thing is that I can't get the music to mute when we talk to each other. Is anyone or has anyone been having this type of issue? Maybe I just need retrained.

Can she hear you OK? If she can hear you OK, and you can't hear her very well, and you've already tried swapping headsets with no change, then I would start considering that the problem might be with the bike, not the headsets.

"Can she hear you OK? If she can hear you OK, and you can't hear her very well..." then that may not be a problem. Depending on how long you've been married. :lol: Just saying.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:27 pm

If you have the 279 with the low profile speakers or the older 44 MM speakers it is very common for anyone with hearing loss to have problems understanding the passenger. I replace a lot of the 44's with the 55's, JM HSCP SS22, and always tell the customer that if replacing the speakers doesn't fix the problem I will take them back for a full refund. I have never had a pair returned. The problem with the larger speakers is that most helmets require trimming the interior for proper location and fit.
Another problem I have found is that the on 13 & 14 models, headset mute does not seem to work properly with any headsets that I have tried.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Wayne wrote:If you have the 279 with the low profile speakers or the older 44 MM speakers it is very common for anyone with hearing loss to have problems understanding the passenger. I replace a lot of the 44's with the 55's, JM HSCP SS22, and always tell the customer that if replacing the speakers doesn't fix the problem I will take them back for a full refund. I have never had a pair returned. The problem with the larger speakers is that most helmets require trimming the interior for proper location and fit.
Another problem I have found is that the on 13 & 14 models, headset mute does not seem to work properly with any headsets that I have tried.

Wayne, I'm pretty sure those 55mm speakers are the ones that come with the Elite series headset (the grade higher than the original poster's Performance headset). If that is the case, then I can confirm that the Elite headset speakers have much, much improved sound quality, particularly in the low end, over the Performance speakers. When I got my current helmet a couple of years ago, I was going to put a Performance headset into it. However, I then listened to the Elite headset, and when I heard the huge improvement in sound quality, I couldn't go with the Performance - especially because I listen to music a great deal while doing long-distance rides. It's worth the added cost.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Scott, you are right, the 55mm's are the Elite speakers. Like I said, the 55mm requires proper placement and trimming of speaker pocket in most helmets sold today.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Wayne wrote:Scott, you are right, the 55mm's are the Elite speakers. Like I said, the 55mm requires proper placement and trimming of speaker pocket in most helmets sold today.

I did notice that - in order to get the bass response they provide, they need fairly close coupling to the ear. If they are positioned too far away, the low end disappears. It took a bit of trial and error to get them just right.

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:19 pm

We have been trying everything. We believe that the mics are so sensitive they pick up everything. We put a foam sock over the rear mic and a rubber glove over that. No holes in the glove. The passenger in the rear must put the mic very close to her mouth and we get pretty satisfactory sound. The wind noise and the muffled voice was too much. This isn't the greatest fix but it does seem to work for now. I don't know if I would buy this type of headset again because of the sensitivity. I am sure that they may work well in a full coverage helmet but not an open face.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Auggie wrote:We have been trying everything. We believe that the mics are so sensitive they pick up everything. We put a foam sock over the rear mic and a rubber glove over that. No holes in the glove. The passenger in the rear must put the mic very close to her mouth and we get pretty satisfactory sound. The wind noise and the muffled voice was too much. This isn't the greatest fix but it does seem to work for now. I don't know if I would buy this type of headset again because of the sensitivity. I am sure that they may work well in a full coverage helmet but not an open face.

Maybe a set of Mic-Mutes would solve your problem.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”