No Heat on 2008 GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
LouG
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

No Heat on 2008 GL1800

Postby LouG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:17 pm

This is a long story that began 2 years ago. I've owned my 2008 GL1800 since 2009 and had it converted to a Roadsmith Trike 2 years ago. The Heat package worked fine before the conversion. I took delivery of the trike in December 2012 and I didn't test the heat until June 2013 at Americade because I trailered the bike from the trike shop. I brought the bike back to the trike shop in July 2014 and they worked on it for two weeks and couldn't find the problem. I drove the bike directly to a Honda dealer, who also worked on the bike for 2 weeks and couldn't find anything wrong with the electrical system. I've had an Ultimate seat since 2011 and when the Honda dealer was about to give up, he tried a stock seat and everything worked. OK, I figured something happened to the seat during the conversion. I called Ultimate and they said they would replace the seat for $300 since it was out of warranty. I did this in February of 2014. I attempted to use the heat at Americade this year and again, no heat.The entire electrical system, computer, and harness have been checked twice by two different shops and neither could find anything wrong with the bike. I've replaced the seat and still the problem isn't solved. It's cost me over $500 and a lot of anguish addressing this problem. Is there anybody out there who has any idea what the problem might be. Tomorrow I will call Ultimate and see if it's possible the new seat is faulty and if that doesn't work then the Honda dealer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No Heat on 2008 GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:00 pm

LouG wrote:This is a long story that began 2 years ago. I've owned my 2008 GL1800 since 2009 and had it converted to a Roadsmith Trike 2 years ago. The Heat package worked fine before the conversion. I took delivery of the trike in December 2012 and I didn't test the heat until June 2013 at Americade because I trailered the bike from the trike shop. I brought the bike back to the trike shop in July 2014 and they worked on it for two weeks and couldn't find the problem. I drove the bike directly to a Honda dealer, who also worked on the bike for 2 weeks and couldn't find anything wrong with the electrical system. I've had an Ultimate seat since 2011 and when the Honda dealer was about to give up, he tried a stock seat and everything worked. OK, I figured something happened to the seat during the conversion. I called Ultimate and they said they would replace the seat for $300 since it was out of warranty. I did this in February of 2014. I attempted to use the heat at Americade this year and again, no heat.The entire electrical system, computer, and harness have been checked twice by two different shops and neither could find anything wrong with the bike. I've replaced the seat and still the problem isn't solved. It's cost me over $500 and a lot of anguish addressing this problem. Is there anybody out there who has any idea what the problem might be. Tomorrow I will call Ultimate and see if it's possible the new seat is faulty and if that doesn't work then the Honda dealer.

Well if the stock seat works, and the NEW Ultimate seat doesn't, then to me that says the problem is with the seat. I would talk to them again.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 am

I agree with WingAdmin, however, has anyone done any testing of the seat when off the Wing to see if there is a wiring or connection problem? Knowing the folks at Ultimate and the good quality of their seats, I doubt they would intentionally sell something that is faulty. They may even be able to suggest the best way to bench test the seat. This certainly would avoid shipping the seat back and forth.

Also have you checked voltage coming from the bike at the connector to the seat? I am assuming that you have checked all fuses to insure they are okay and none blown.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

LouG

Postby LouG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 am

I went to Florida last year and on my way down I stopped at Ultimate with the Ultimate seat the Honda dealer said was faulty. Ultimate checked the seat and did confirm the seat was faulty and I paid the $300 for a new seat. Personally, I find it very hard to believe the new seat is faulty but I have to explore the possibility. Maybe they can send me a test connector with a red and green LED, to verify voltage and see if the grips and passenger backrest get warm. I'm calling Ultimate this morning.

LouG

Postby LouG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 am

This is an update on the heat problem that I think others will be interested in. The heating problem was solved while I was at Americade this year by Sportline Power Products in Queensbury, NY. They spent around 12 hours searching for a solution and only charged me for the 1 hour we agreed upon at the onset. Again, everything checked out with all the right voltages at all connectors. They contacted Honda in CA and had them on the phone trying to come up with a solution. Honda sent them via overnight delivery, a fault detector that plugs into the ECM connector and a connector tester. The fault detector found no problems and as a last effort, Rickie the mechanic checked the seat connector with the feeler gauge Honda had sent them. Lo and behold, one of the female pins in the connector was opened too much so that when the seat male pin is plugged in, it does not make contact with the female connector pin. You cannot electrically test for this problem and you cannot visually inspect for this as the difference between a good pin and a bad one are not easily recognized by the human eye. Many thanks to Justin the service manager for his dedication and efforts to me in solving this problem.

dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Postby dadztoy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Awesome find Lou - thanks for sharing that info with those of us that use custom seats... I use a Diamond Saddle and the heated portion works fine for now, but I will remember your story for future reference and glad you finally got the seat fixed... I would be looking to Ultimate for some financial restitution if it were me...

Les

LouG

Postby LouG » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Les, The problem connector was the one for the seat in the bike harness not on the seat. Ultimate offered me a new seat for $300 and I took it. Something happened when the bike was converted or maybe it was a coincidence that the original seat from Ultimate failed at that time. Sportline took a connector from another Goldwing harness and removed a pin a replaced the pin in my connector. Sportline at the end of every riding season takes harnesses from destroyed bikes and cuts the connectors off for this very purpose.

dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Postby dadztoy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Ahhhh - thanks for the clarification Lou... I stand corrected regarding renumeration from Ultimate... Problems like that can be so frustrating and being an electronic tech for 45 years I ran into all types of problems including some like that - I feel your pain believe me...

I just finished working on a buddies bike where he has been chasing an audio problem for over a year... Static in the audio and CB howling on transmit, etc... We finally decided to pull the fuel tank and rework the ground system which we did tying (soldering) all the grounds together including battery negative... Then we went over every single audio connector on the bike cleaning them with a product called Stabilant 22, a space age contact enhancer and re-routed the passenger intercom cable away from and perpendicular to the CB radio antenna...

So far, it looks like we have solved the problem... At this stage I am "cautiously optimistic" but so far so good... Glad you resolved your issue and I'll bet so are you, and again, thanks for sharing your story - it may help someone else and BTW, this is not the first story I have heard about a bad pin on the heated seat connector...

Les

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”