computer back light out and others

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
homie
Motorcycle: 2002 VTX 1800 ,2008 Gold Wing ,air bag

computer back light out and others

Postby homie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:22 am

2008 wing air bag model.Had no problems on last ride,started up and had the following conditions, computer screen back light out ,computer screen has display.turn signal indicator lamp out,turn signal working ok, high beam indicator lamp out,high beams working ok, cruise control comes on but will not engage.Check fuses all OK,pull left storage box and check all connections that I could reach,wiggled all wire I could reach not even a blink. Think that it may be a common ground or connector, if someone could point me in the right area before pulling the whole front end off

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: computer back light out and others

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:05 pm

Is your fuel gauge or temperature gauge operating normally? What about the speedometer or tachometer? And lastly, are the oil pressure, overdrive and reverse indicator lights working?

homie

Postby homie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:14 pm

All the above are working correctly.Also forgot to mention I did add a trailer hitch and pig tail and led fog lamps ,both are working ok been installed for. 6 years.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 pm

These GL1800s will get glitchy once in a while. Try pulling the positive connector off the battery for three minutes or so, and then reconnecting it. This could clear your problems, or not.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

homie

Postby homie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks for the reply,didn't think of a reboot will try in the morning.Is the turn signal indicator computer control,thought it was off the relay? Other add on that I forgot is I put the LED rear turn signal in the mirrors, good thing I did so a least I know they are working.

homie

Postby homie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 am

pulled the pos.battery cable,let set for 10 minutes,put it back on and no change still have all problems as stated in first post.Pulled the speaker cowling to see if I could find a lose plug,wiggled all wire I could reach. Not even a flicker.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 am

Sorry the bike reboot did not help, but at least you know it isn't an electronic glitch. Gremlins are the worst sort of faults as they chase their own tails. Please continue to let us know what you try, and what works, and especially if you cure the problems, as there are many of us watching.

Before you pull all the tupperware off, try spraying your cruise set switch with an electronics cleaner, as well as some of the other switches, and wiggle the clutch lever back and forth to ensure that you do not have a switch malfunction. I have no idea how many of your faults are connected, but the cruise is connected to the clutch position switch, and also any brake switches or lights. This is assuming you have NOT already removed the tupperware at some previous recent occasion to replace an air filter or the like.

ImageImage

homie

Postby homie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 am

I have to obtain the service manual first so that I will remove correctly. Will post a update after spraying all exterior buttons,I did ride thru the Bingington flood, never seen rain like that,lucky to live thru it,but that was a few years ago.I am very thankful for this site as my local dealer has closed shop and having a hard time finding someone I can trust with the bike.Good news is I can still ride ,thanks to all ,happy trails

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm

OK, it's very odd. Looking at the meter circuit (below), the following things share the same ground inside the meter:

LCD and instrument backlights
Oil pressure indicators
High beam indicators
Turn signal indicators
Low fuel indicator
ECU (provides pulses to cruise control so it can determine speed)

You said the oil pressure light is working fine though, correct? What about all the other dash illumination? Are they all out, or just the LCD backlight?

There is no common power source to these items, just the shared ground, and the fact that several of the items you say aren't working all share that same ground line is suspicious to me.

Based just on what you've said, I would have a look at the back of the meter, and pull off the black 20 pin connector. Test the green (dark green, not light green) wire and check that it has ground. You can also try connecting a temporary wire to a known good ground on the bike (or negative terminal of the battery) and inserting it alongside the green wire connector (push it in from the back) when that connector is plugged in. If that fixes the problem, then you know for sure it is a bad ground on that wire causing the problem.

That's my best guess, anyway.

GL1800 Combination Meter
GL1800 Combination Meter

homie

Postby homie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Looking at the wire diagram, seem that the ground break would be in side the case being some lights are finding a ground and are working. Oil pressure, low fuel,other dash lights are ok. Hope I can figure out how to open up the meter without messing up what is working.Will try the jumper as maybe the working lights are back feeding from other point to ground.Hate to ask what a new instrument panel will cost.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:56 am

Okay... I believe I shall stop posting guesses. WingAdmin, you understand the electronics on these bikes, and are most probably correct in your diagnosis. I only wish I had the electronics knowledge and cognitive function you have. Newfangled printed circuitry is definitely not my forte.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”