unusual no. of brake repairs. also front end bearings

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rmeredith3
Motorcycle: 2007 goldwing trike(csc}

unusual no. of brake repairs. also front end bearings

Postby rmeredith3 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

i was given quite s shock when i took my wing to a dealer for its annual inspection. i felt that i had a bad brake on the left rear. but was surprised to hear that my entire braking system was shot. the repairs will include:near rotors,pads,calipers.front pads.front tire. I will also have to have the steering redone. As i have more than 55,000 miles on my bike i expected some repairs but this seems excessive.I have confidence in this facility but remain perplexed. All of my previous inspections have only required pads or tires. The steering problem is a recurring one as i had it repaired in FL. this past winter.The handlebars will often jump out of my hands causing me to struggle to maintain control. Periodically i experience a surge in fifth gear which i first noticed last aug. when traveling the coastal highway in Ca. This issue i think is probably in the tranny? My unit is a 2007 Goldwing with a csc. So far my repairs and parts will exceed $2500. dollars.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: unusual no. of brake repairs. also front end bearings

Postby flash2002 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:31 pm

I think you should get a second opinion, I find it expensive and there might be lots of bull in there. I still have the original pads with 135 KLM . You might just need a good cleaning and pads. For your surge, might just be injectors try some Sea Foam in the tank.

lw1993
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 California Side Car Cobra XL

Postby lw1993 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:36 pm

I have a 2007 with csc and have not had the handlebars jump out of my hands. 26000 miles on mine and original brake parts. at Honda dealer now had throttle cables fray where handlebars come close to frame around the top opening. My tranny is loud shifting but no surges or other.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:01 pm

rmeredith3 wrote:i was given quite s shock when i took my wing to a dealer for its annual inspection. i felt that i had a bad brake on the left rear. but was surprised to hear that my entire braking system was shot. the repairs will include:near rotors,pads,calipers.front pads.front tire. I will also have to have the steering redone. As i have more than 55,000 miles on my bike i expected some repairs but this seems excessive.I have confidence in this facility but remain perplexed. All of my previous inspections have only required pads or tires. The steering problem is a recurring one as i had it repaired in FL. this past winter.The handlebars will often jump out of my hands causing me to struggle to maintain control. Periodically i experience a surge in fifth gear which i first noticed last aug. when traveling the coastal highway in Ca. This issue i think is probably in the tranny? My unit is a 2007 Goldwing with a csc. So far my repairs and parts will exceed $2500. dollars.

Find a different dealer. Not likely any of the calipers or rotors are bad based on other's experiences with the GL1800's brakes. As far as the tranny....what are you calling a "surge"? If the bike's shifting in gear and staying in gear, there's nothing to be concerned about regarding the transmission. If the bike is feeling like it's not able to maintain speed and is running fast/slow, then it could be something to do with the ignition or the fuel injection needs service, perhaps a new air filter. The steering problem could be something to do with the steering head bearings. A typical fix for that would be a set of tapered roller bearings installed and torqued properly.
But you need someone that's EXPERIENCED with the GL1800 to work on the bike and/or at least give you a second opinion. If you do seek a second opinion, don't mention what the other "mechanic" told you was wrong. Let the new mechanic ride and evaluate without being swayed by your comments as to what "may" be wrong with your bike. Let him decide if there's something wrong with your bike.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Has the brake recall been done by the dealer?If it hasn't that could be a lot of your brake problems.If it is jumping in and out of 5th gear then you have a very expensive tranny problem.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Just remember on thing, most repair shops, and dealers are there as a business to make money. I just purchased a transmission shop with a terrible reputation. The previous owner was all about the money. He did unspeakable things to get the money. Service was not the first priority. Find a shop with a service orientated mentality, not a money one. You most likely are being oversold. Good luck.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”