Hard to Turn Throttle

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Auggie
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing Honda

Hard to Turn Throttle

Postby Auggie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04 am

It seems that the throttle on my 2013 is very hard to turn. Is there an easy fix? Are others hard to turn? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Hard to Turn Throttle

Postby baumedagn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 am

If it were me, I'd take it back to the dealer. The bike is still under warranty. If it's a simple adjustment you should be in and out in a few minutes.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 pm

It definitely should not be hard to turn. +1 on the return to dealer.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

lw1993
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 California Side Car Cobra XL

Postby lw1993 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:28 pm

For Sure. Take to Dealer. Mine 1 Month out of extended warranty and throttle cables frayed and replacements needed. cables cheap. Labor not so much

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Took the bike to the local dealer. He said he wouldn't touch it as it would void the warranty. He didn't think anything was wrong. He only had one Honda road bike in the shop but many Victory's. I think he is more interested in selling them and 4 wheel Polaris. Disappointed. Guess I will have to try another dealer.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 am

If the dealer will not touch it in fear of voiding the warranty (which is what should cover his touching it) I would indeed try another dealer. If that does not work, begin the journey up the line to the local rep, district rep, etc. Don't be afraid to get online and go to their customer service people. I do not know what you consider hard to turn, but my bike's throttle is not. Hard to turn means strain on your wrist. Not a good thing. I think it more likely that he would not touch it because he is afraid of it. It would have been nice to know that before purchasing the bike from him, if you did.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

lw1993
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 California Side Car Cobra XL

Postby lw1993 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 am

I got my bike back Monday eve from Honda Dealer. Replaced both cables. It is so smooth and easy compared to what it was. You need to take it to a Honda Dealer and let them take a look. My dealer had 8.5 hours replacing actual and flat rate from Honda was 4.5. Something you WANT to have replaced under warrenty. At $70 an hour at my dealer for a set of $50 cables you can see what my bill was. But safety has no price tag on it.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

That statement is a "cop out". That dealer either doesn't want to work on Wings or has no one there capable of doing so.
I would call Honda Customer service(# is in your owner's manual) and report that dealer's refusal and to ask which dealer you should now take you bike and all future needs too!
I would never darked the door of that dealer that lied, yes lied about him correcting your problem voiding your warranty. That's if this dealer is an authorized Honda motorcycle dealer?
You didn't tell us if you bought this bike new or used(one must transfer the remaining warranty, if you bought it used).
Nor did you tell us if the dealer your purchased the bike from is in deed a authorized Honda motorcycle dealer, If he is not, then he told you the truth, in that, him working on it could void your warrant

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm

I think I will take it to another dealer to look at the throttle. We rode for dinner last night for about 120 miles and I could feel it in my hand. I have other people twist the throttle and they also think it takes more effort than it should. The last dealer that looked at it and said there was nothing wrong charged me $45. He said there was nothing to warrant so he charged me before I could get the bike back. Got a pretty sour taste. 7th new Wing and a bit upset.

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Got to say my throttle is hard to use as well. Well and truly out of warranty.

So if anybody has suggestions

Thanks

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”