LED TRUNK LIFT HANDLE

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mickeydw
Motorcycle: 2006 honda gold wing gl 1800

LED TRUNK LIFT HANDLE

Postby mickeydw » Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 am

I have an 06 GL1800. I recently bought a LED Lift Handle, it has a red & a Black wire from it. I installed it on the trunk lid & called DFW Honda for clues as to where to wire it to. I found out the green wire with red stripe was THE wire, and the the common wire. I have touched it to about every wire I can get to, even the one out of the pulsating brake module. I still only get it either ON all the time OR JUST flashing when the brakes go on. My current staus is I have blown a fuse because now NONE of the brake lights work. HELP !

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: LED TRUNK LIFT HANDLE

Postby gareva1 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm confused...you found the wire to make it on all the time according to your post...what exactly are you trying to get it to do? That would have been my intended result and stopped there...I've got to be missing something.

mickeydw

Postby mickeydw » Fri May 28, 2010 1:44 am

Yes, it would be lit all the time (running lite), but brake lite did not work.
Then I had it where the brake lite worked, but no running lite.
I am trying to get it to work like the rest of my lites, running lite, then brake lite when brake applied.
I have them on a deceleration module so they flash fast, then a slower flash, to a steady brake lite... when the brakes are applied.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri May 28, 2010 2:12 pm

I don't think the trunk handle LED lights are setup to work as you want. You will need to add a diode and some additional resistance to get the lights to be have like a tail light (Come on dim with tail light and go bright with brake lights). It can be done but I think you will have to modify the connections to do it as the handle is not sold to work like that.

Gary

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Gary is correct...without some modifications that would void the warranty on the leds, you cannot do what you are trying to do.

The light is either a brake light, or a running light, not both (most people make them running lights).

You would need a third wire to achieve what you are trying to do...some accessories (like the spoiler lights) have such a wire, but the handle doesn't. The way your other taillights do it is by having a third wire connected to the second element in a multi-filament bulb.

I'm sorry if someone sold you that with the impression that you could do that, but it's not the case.

mickeydw

Postby mickeydw » Fri May 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Thank you for your help. I actually stopped at DFW HONDA & talked to the Electrical Guru there. He said the same thing, it's used one way or the other.
I have the deceleration flashing brake lights now & was thinking this might be a good light for acting as a flashing brake light too, since it's high on the trunk. But now your making me think twice about it & may make it a running light only, so it's always lit & not just when braking.

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I have 4 small 6" LED's that I am using on my new trailer. They have 3 wires coming from them. White Red & Black. This what you have for both light circuits to work.
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

mickeydw

Postby mickeydw » Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes I found out from Honda repairman that you need the 3 wires to work FULLY like I wan't, you were lucky in getting one with 3 wires instead of the 2 wires I have.
Now after saying that.....I ended up connecting the red wire to the red wire & the black wire to the white wire, on my Kuryakan wrap around trunk lights. It works great ! The lift handle now has a running light AND when the brakes are applied, it flashes like the rest of my brake lights !!!
The ONLY draw back, and it is no real concern of mine, but after the flashing ends, the light goes out. Once the brake is released, it goes back on as a running light.
SO, if you come across this same problem later AND you have the Kuryakan trunk lights, you can always do this wiring & at least have running lights AND flashing brake lights !

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Mickey, this is where I got mine and most all of the LED's and acces. that I have bought. Their service is top rate and they are quick to send. http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 pm

I would be cautious about the mod you have done to the wiring...all of those wires are leds...and leds do not tolerate reversing the polarity of the power very well (at all)...you could find yourself with a broken led handle, and a broken set of trunk lights.

I'm not saying it will happen, but without fully understanding what's going on here electrically, I'd be concerned.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 am

gareva1 wrote:I would be cautious about the mod you have done to the wiring...all of those wires are leds...and leds do not tolerate reversing the polarity of the power very well (at all)...you could find yourself with a broken led handle, and a broken set of trunk lights.

I'm not saying it will happen, but without fully understanding what's going on here electrically, I'd be concerned.

Actually...the "D" in LED means Diode - and diodes are intended by design to pass voltage one way and block it the other. An LED is a diode that just happens to emit visible photons from its junction while passing voltage. You won't damage an LED by reversing the polarity unless the voltage is extremely high - and you aren't going to get that kind of voltage coming from your bike. So the only thing that will happen if you reverse polarity to an LED on the bike is that the LED won't light up. Fix the polarity, and it will turn on and work normally.

If you have other electronics in there, such as brake flashers and so on, that stuff could be damaged by reversing polarity. But if it's just an LED bar, nothing bad will happen from reversing the polarity.

mickeydw

Postby mickeydw » Mon May 31, 2010 10:51 am

Well I believe the way I have it wired is ok. As explained to me by Honda, it takes the 3 wires to operate it in both modes(directions). By using just the 2 wire system I can have it as a running light or a brake light. I was told by them also that if I used 2 of the 3 wires from the Kuryaken trunk lights, I would have the same effect. But to my amazement I have running lights AND flashing brake lights (from my flasher that was added). Now it MAY be I have running lights & the flashing is not as bright as the regular brake lights so maybe its just flashing the running lights. Either way, it gets done what I was looking for, a running light for added visability AND a flashing when I brake, for the attention I desire. But I do know the tech at Honda said I COULD use 2 of the 3 wires from the Kuryaken LED trunk lights, it was just a matter of which 2 wires I used. I think I can live with the handle LED's going out when it goes to solid red.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:23 am

wingadmin, let me start out by saying I'm not an electronics expert and could be totally wrong:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think many of the leds used in our bike lights have a breakdown voltage of 5V...which is quite a bit lower than the 12V that our bikes supply to the lights...maybe because the leds are in series that breakdown rating raises? Or if the leds are rated at 5V breakdown regardless of being in a series or not, it seems to me that the 12V has a risk of damaging the leds, in a way I think I have witnessed with bike lights before.

Further, what the OP has done is not reversed polarity (I think), but actually put both his positive and negative leads to separate positive leads of different sets of accessories---so when his running lights are on, the positive lead for the brakes is acting as ground to that strip, and when he hits his brakes, the positive lead for the running lights is acting as ground to that strip...that doesn't seem like good electronics to me, but I could be misunderstanding what he's doing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Actually putting them in series should increase the breakdown voltage...that said, if the LEDs have a 5 volt breakdown then for sure 12 volts would damage them. A lot of manufacturers put an inverse protection diode in place so that it will conduct instead of the LEDs should the polarity be reversed above the breakdown voltage.

I agree, that doesn't sound like the best way of setting it up. Is this item an OEM light bar, or aftermarket?

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 pm

If I had to guess, he's got one of these:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/19_A ... nk_Handle/

or

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/18_K ... se_Chrome/

I don't think hondaline makes a lit trunk handle.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am

Well the customer comments are very comforting on the first link!! Don't think I will be getting one for my wing..

Gary

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 am

I've personally never considered a lit one as I have a spoiler that is lit, but I think I wouldn't mind a handle...I feel bad when I close or open the trunk by using the luggage rack or gently using the spoiler.

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:04 am

gareva1 wrote:I've personally never considered a lit one as I have a spoiler that is lit, but I think I wouldn't mind a handle...I feel bad when I close or open the trunk by using the luggage rack or gently using the spoiler.

I have a luggage rack and also use that as a handle to open/close the top box.. It doesn't bother me, but I thought a handle would be nice, but based on the feedback, "it's made of plastic and does not fit well", I think I will stick with my luggage rack!! :)

Gary

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:56 pm

I have always been told to use the passenger seat back as a closing/latching handle and avoid putting extra stress on the spoiler and trunk lid. You just let the lid down and pull straight back on the seat back until you hear the mechanism latch. I do use the luggage rack as an opening handle though.

mickeydw

Postby mickeydw » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 am

Yes Gareva1, the first one you mentioned is the one I bought, I BELIEVE.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/19_A ... nk_Handle/
It was a pain to get wired and it's not really strong, BUT it does keep me from grabbing the luggage rack when opening & closing the trunk.
I plan on stopping by the dealer sometime soon & let them check my wiring, but I believe it is ok & I DO like the extra light on the rear on my wing.
Thanks for ALL the input !

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”