Front Speaker Mounting Nuts

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
RFtech53
Motorcycle: 2008 GL-1800 Comfort/Audio/Navi

Front Speaker Mounting Nuts

Postby RFtech53 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi guys and gals. A GoldwingDoc's newbie here. I've got a question that I didn't see any previous info on. While I was replacing my air filter last week, I was thinking that I might replace the front stock speakers.

Long story short, when I went to unscrew the four mounting bolts on the left speaker, it became clear that the factory must have over tightened them and also used thread lock. No biggie ... except ... I've got one screw that simply spins. I took the other 3 screws out and felt behind the mounting. It feels like those screws might go into a rubber insert that has a nut within it. I tried holding the rubber insert tight with my fingers, but no use. The thread lock is mightier than the finger. And I can't get any pliers back in there without damaging the speaker. I don't want to do that yet.

My only recourse at this time would be to take out the three good screws, then carefully bend the remaining fastened speaker flange back and forth until the speaker snaps off. At that point, I could get some pliers in there and hold the (what I think is a) rubber insert that contains a nut. Why Mother Honda decided those screws needed thread lock is beyond me.

Okay ... the question. I went to Bike Bandit to see what speaker mounting part is wacky. I think I'm seeing it in the exploded view. It's hard to tell. But, there's no part number called out for it ... as if that mounting nut thing can't be replaced.

Has anyone had their speakers out, and if so, did you notice what the speaker screw, screws into? Is it some type of rubber insert that has a nut in the end of it? I'm thinking maybe some type of grommet that contains a nut?

If Bike Bandit doesn't show a part number, I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this since once your speaker is put in it's place, it's inside a closed plastic box and you can't reach inside.

Thanks in advance for any help.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Front Speaker Mounting Nuts

Postby cihilb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Look under audio. This is the part # for the 2006. You didn't specify what year it is.
I checked 2003 thru 2012 and all the same part #. 90111-KW3-003 NUT (5MM) 8 3.15

RFtech53
Motorcycle: 2008 GL-1800 Comfort/Audio/Navi

Re: Front Speaker Mounting Nuts

Postby RFtech53 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 am

Cihlilb, my apologies. When I typed that out, I meant to add it's a 2008 GL1800 with Audio/Comfort/Navi. I think I had that in my profile, but forgot to put it in the forum. Thanks much for the info.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”