2003 windscreen

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
tudiv
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100
2003 GL 1800 ABS

2003 windscreen

Postby tudiv » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Just picked up an 03 1800. Windscreen was pretty fogged up as if someone had used windex on it. I used maguires plastx on it and that did a decent job getting the haze out. Then i realize it looks like a scotch-brite pad had been used on it. Anyway, started looking at available windscreens online. Would like to get one thats vented but it seems that most of those are taller than the oem, of which the height works perfect for me. Any recommendations? Should i try to buff this one out and add a vent myself? Thanks in advance for any input. Vic

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: 2003 windscreen

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:45 am

F4 Customs
Most likely the last shield you'll ever need to buy!!
BTW, you do use windex and paper towels on F4 shields :D

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:09 am

tudiv wrote:Just picked up an 03 1800. Windscreen was pretty fogged up as if someone had used windex on it. I used maguires plastx on it and that did a decent job getting the haze out. Then i realize it looks like a scotch-brite pad had been used on it. Anyway, started looking at available windscreens online. Would like to get one thats vented but it seems that most of those are taller than the oem, of which the height works perfect for me. Any recommendations? Should i try to buff this one out and add a vent myself? Thanks in advance for any input. Vic

Welcome to the forum!
Stock windshields have a hardened coating on them.Once you get through that they are really soft.In other words if the hardened coating is comprimised then they are garbage.
I bought a used one for my 04(mostly for the vent,but the guy said it wasn't all scratched up)and the guy had stored it covered in bugs.He thought he'd do me a favor and clean it with windex and paper towels.Long story short it looked like he used 80 grit sandpaper.He didn't even realize he had ruined it.I had basically just paid for the vent anyway,so it was all good.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

tudiv
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100
2003 GL 1800 ABS

Postby tudiv » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Dawg, i just checked out F4 like you suggested. Exactly what i was looking for and much better that what i have found up to this point. Thanks

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”