Where to mount GPS

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
DonWiley

Where to mount GPS

Postby DonWiley » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:40 am

So I'm wondering where others have mounted there GPS. I have a Garmin 2730 that I have mounted to the side of the center cowl that covers the key and dash display. It works very well here, stays out of my general field of view while riding, and only covers the first 1500 RPM of the tach.

I am curious where others have found to mount thier GPS units.

I know all about the handlebar mount using the RAM Mount that attaches to the clutch or brake master cylinder, been there, done that, don't like it, the GPS always in my normal line of sight while driving.

Road a friend's 1800 that used a cross bar between the handlebars to mount the GPS, covered too much of the dash and made using the key a pain in the a...

Don

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Where to mount GPS

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 am

I went through the same thing with my 1100. I didn't want to pay $100+ for a RAM mount that I could easily fabricate myself. I tried creating one that stuck up in my field of vision, but that drove me crazy. I thought about creating a mount on a cross bar between the handlebars - but that would cover the ignition key. Here's what I came up with:

I took a piece of welding bar, drilled some holes in it to fit some U-bolts, and then twisted it to hold the GPS at the right angle. It took a bit of playing with to get it just right. When I was happy with it, I spray painted it black, and put it on. It works great, and while it makes it slightly more difficult to get to the ignition key when the GPS is on it the mount, it doesn't cover it up. The GPS can be taken off the mount very easily and put in the trunk when I park somewhere.

With the GPS in place:

Flyone

Postby Flyone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I use a Ram Mount...........

here is the link......

www.ram-mount.com
Bill (Flyone)
2002 GL-1800 Illusion Red (Fastest Color)
2001 Cyclemate CM-2000 Trailer (Same Fastest Color)
2008 GL-1800 CSC Cobra (Same Fastest Color)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Flyone wrote:I use a Ram Mount...........

here is the link......

http://www.ram-mount.com

My homebuilt solution cost me 25 cents for steel bar, some spray paint, and $6 for two U-bolts, and it's rock-solid, 1/8' steel that doesn't vibrate, doesn't move, will never break, can't be stolen (without a wrench and some serious time). The GPS can be quickly removed and stored in the trunk if desired.

The equivalent functionality using RAM mount components, according to their web site, would cost $87.25. And it's all plastic.

That said, the RAM mounts certainly work, and are recognized as the best commercial mounts on the market - as well as the most versatile.

DAYTONDAD

Postby DAYTONDAD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:47 pm

HI I USE THE SUCTION CUP MOUNT THAT CAME WITH MY TOMTOM XL ONE
STUCK IT TO MY WIND SHIELD AND IT WORKS GREAT. MAKE SURE TO CLEAN CUP AND WIND SHIELD VERY GOOD SO IT WONT COME OFF

RICK
GL-1800

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:57 pm

DAYTONDAD wrote:HI I USE THE SUCTION CUP MOUNT THAT CAME WITH MY TOMTOM XL ONE
STUCK IT TO MY WIND SHIELD AND IT WORKS GREAT. MAKE SURE TO CLEAN CUP AND WIND SHIELD VERY GOOD SO IT WONT COME OFF

RICK
GL-1800

I tried that for a while with my TomTom and my GL1100, but after having it fall off several times when I hit large bumps, I gave up and built a mount.

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:24 pm

I use this one
UNPKD RAM U-BOLT MNT W/2.47DIA. X 2.47X1
Product Number: RAM-B-149ZU

It's about $30

a lot less works and dont need to spray it :)

Looks good and is solid

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Postby gogs11uk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

I use the tomtom suction mount but drilled a small hole through the centre of it. Then dismantled the dash and continued the hole down through that and used a small short bolt with a nyloc nut to secure it to the top of the dash right in front of me.

I tried sticking it to the screen before that but it fell of first time only a mile from the house and the last time about 20 miles from it. I was on a 500+ mile journey so ended up with it stuck inside the fairing pocket.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 pm

The thing I really like about the ram stuff is that it is so expandable with future tech...I've had a blackberry, 3 iphones, gps receivers and now gopro hero cameras, and I've been able to easily fit them to the ram hardware; I think you're paying for that convenience and once you get past the initial investment of the bases that mount on the handlebars/master cylinders, it's usually a cheap ordeal to add on whatever to your initial setup.

Motorcycle shops will rape you on the parts, but if you have a bass pro shops/cabelas anywhere near you, they sell ram too, and many of the components are universal...I buy more ram parts for my bike from there than the motorcycle shop, mostly because they have them in stock but also because they are cheaper....only ones I've ever HAD to go to a mc shop for are the bases that bolt directly on the bike, and only because the 1800 doesn't have a rounded handlebar (basspro had the u-bolt type, and I've got one of those mounted on my crash bar for my gopro camera)

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I have a 2620. Sorry I do not have a photo, but I bought a mounting bracket that mounts on the dash above all the gauges, low in my field of vision, does not block anything and I do not have to take my eyes off the road to see when there is a change on the Garmin, and can look at it without drastically altering my direction of view. It mounts very low in front of the windshield on the dash.
I tried all kinds of mounts that mounted on the handle bars, in front of the dash, etc. This is the only one I found acceptable.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

toy
Motorcycle: 2009 Goldwing/Roadsmith GL1800 Trike

Postby toy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 am

I myself like the mounts that go on top of my brake resevoirs from http://www.motorcyclelarry.com then you attach a ball and arm to it with whatever mount you need (gps, cell phone, cup holder etc, etc, etc).
He also sells Ram Mounts.
Check him out and see what you think.

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 pm

i bought a garmin zumo 550, it came with all the ram mounts for the bike and one for the car. i mounted mine on the left handle bar to the clutch bracket. i get along with it there. it has a quick release so you can put in the trunk when parked. also came with wiring so you can hook into your intercom to hear it in helmets on outside speakers. also plays your mp3 songs through it. if you buy extra wiring you can blu-tooth compatable phone to it to make those hand free calls. i have seen mounts that go on top of the dash, i did not like the looks of it, and it was $$$$...but if i had bought one that had not come with a bracket i like, i would have probably built something 8-)

DanComperini
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby DanComperini » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 am

I use a RAM Mount that attaches to the brake (right handle bar). This seems to work well as I can move the ram around to achieve the best viewing position. Last year I added a cigarette lighter to the right accessory panel. I use that socket to power my Garmin GPS and to charge cell phones. I love having the accessory power on the right side of the bike.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Check out Leader Motorcycle Accessories. Many options, quality items.I used a mount by them that attaches to the handgrip.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm

I have my Garmin mount fixed to the bottom right corner screen with two stainless screws, so the bottom of the GPS just rests on the dash. The position is great, it is out of the weather, I just slip a sandwich bag over it in the rain.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Just thought I would add my GPS setup. I bought the mount from Leader M/C Accessories. They also sell (which I bought also) a power cord for this set up. It makes a nice clean install. The last approx. 2' are coil cord. Gives it more strength and allows for handlebar movement without eventually breaking wires.

Check out the site. I have zero financial interest in them, just thought others would like to know of another solid supplier.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:58 pm

http://ez-gpsmount.com/products/honda-g ... mount-nuvi

I just got this for my bike - I like the idea of the GPS being straight ahead, as opposed to the RAM mount on the clutch lever that I'd been using.

http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing- ... -Input.asp

I got this as well, since the dezl 760 I bought ($220) has an audio output!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Funny how posts that are over 4 years old get resurrected! But anyway, since it's open again, I'll post my solution to a GPS mount. It's a R.A.M. mount with an AQUABOX attached. It's totally rain proof and you can still use the touch screen through the front cover! I made a custom billet handlebar attachment point with a stainless steel ball for complete adjustment freedom.
Attachments
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

I understand you don't want to negotiate on the handlebar type RAM mounts, yet I use them and they only block view of my speaker grills (I'm 6'). Something I did was bend and finish off nicely a 1" flat steel bar and sling it between the top clutch and brake clamp mount bolts. I used longer bolts and and aluminum bushing to boost the steel bracket away from the driver side edge of the clamps. Now along that steel bridge I mounted a singular RAM ball to which I can mount anything desired. In my case I have a WiFi'd tablet that displays weather radar, maps and lightening strike data received from my smart phone. It is solid and out of the way except when reaching for the keys or using temp or rear preset buttons. Off hand I have ram clutch brake double mounts suspending my cell, sat radio, scanner and GPS, all positioned to appear just left or right of my instrument cluster and nothing blocking my vision. All the wiring is neatly bundled in a wire loom and encased in 1 1/4" heat-shrink - neat and weather/sun proof.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 pm

PastoT wrote:I understand you don't want to negotiate on the handlebar type RAM mounts, yet I use them and they only block view of my speaker grills (I'm 6'). Something I did was bend and finish off nicely a 1" flat steel bar and sling it between the top clutch and brake clamp mount bolts. I used longer bolts and and aluminum bushing to boost the steel bracket away from the driver side edge of the clamps. Now along that steel bridge I mounted a singular RAM ball to which I can mount anything desired. In my case I have a WiFi'd tablet that displays weather radar, maps and lightening strike data received from my smart phone. It is solid and out of the way except when reaching for the keys or using temp or rear preset buttons. Off hand I have ram clutch brake double mounts suspending my cell, sat radio, scanner and GPS, all positioned to appear just left or right of my instrument cluster and nothing blocking my vision. All the wiring is neatly bundled in a wire loom and encased in 1 1/4" heat-shrink - neat and weather/sun proof.

I'd like to see some pictures of all that!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:15 pm

I don't like to take my eyes off the road in front of me anymore than I have to ,so I made a dash mount that I could bolt my RAM Mount to.I get next to no interference/glare from the sun up there either.Mount is just velcroed to the dash because I don't like hogging holes all over.

I tried it on the clutch or brake reservoir(can't remember which)but if I had a light coloured shirt on the reflection would wash out the screen.The Nuvi 550 has a pretty good screen on it and it still got washed out.It only made one day trip mounted there.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

PastoT

Postby PastoT » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:22 pm

There is always room for more toys. My over acheiver cockpit :D

Top left is my docked cell phone (powered and feeding audio through its connection, Phone is blue tooth connected to my GARMIN (top right) for traffic and road conditions and sometimes tracking back to my Facebook. The Tablet is connected through wifi to my phone for maps radar or lightning dection (Lightning Finder). Normally my Phone has Weather radar running, Tablet for Lightning display, GPS for traffic. Adjacent the phone is either a scanner or CB feeding audio out only. Top center of the windscreen is my radar detector fed to the Auxiliary input mixer in left glove box with my UCLEAR connection. Either my phone or Tablet can wifi to my GoPro atop the left mirror. Honestly everything is solid and out of my view of the road. I really don't have to look at or around anything unless someting sounds an alert in my helmet. Things are only a distration if you left them be (thats self-discipline). ;) The second picture is the mount bat between left and right handlebars to suspend anything I need (the tablet normally). Lots of RAM parts and some modified docking stations. All the wiring is cased in wire loom and "big" heat shrink. Only ting I can't see without leaning forward is the radio buttons (memorized) and the voltmeter in the right front speaker grill. Yes I know my fuel light is on :o (first stop tonight when I head out).

Created cross handlebar mount bar with RAM
Created cross handlebar mount bar with RAM
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Holly cow Pasto, If I had that rig on my bike I'd be afraid of gutting myself if involved in an accident.
I've gone through the windshield and been scratched up by the cup holder and GPS mount but that erector set would most likely make a guy a gelding.
Here is what the mount looks like that I have for my Gamin 2720

Here you see the sheet metal blank that was used.

It mounts with two OEM screws.

After mounting the plate, the Combination Switch Cover needs to be cut to allow for the plate.

The plate installed on my GL1800 at the moment is a little longer than the blank shown. That is why I have this extra blank. I re-made the plate from stainless steel and made it slightly longer. With the first plate, the GPS was too close to the ignition switch and made it difficult to remove the key. This longer version works well.

The initial idea for the plate came from a local Wing accessory shop called Wingman in Portland, Oregon. I don't know who had the original idea but he made them, had them powder coated and sold them for about $20. I just copied the design and made my own.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

PastoT

Postby PastoT » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:29 pm

I initially worried about impaling myself on gear, but when the RAM ball mounts just tight enough to hold they roll forward and every which way to clear a path (in theory). Still you have a point... if one over tightens RAM mounts it they lock in position incredibly solid. Generally my Tablet low center is flipped up and over the key area (thus pointed away from the boys).
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:54 pm

It is probably just fine but the appearance of that big X is just a tad unnerving. :lol: Looks like some kind of early torture device without the tablet on it.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”