Beeld Over noise in my Audio and CB

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
flyfishpa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800/Champion Trike

Beeld Over noise in my Audio and CB

Postby flyfishpa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 am

Hello Everyone...Have a problem that is difficult to find. Was looking for advice on what to do. The problem is some kind of interference affecting my radio cb and horn. When I activate the horn I get a interruption in the stereo portion of my radio and a(CB) RX indication on the display along with a static crackle thru the complete audio system. Like I am bleeding or back feeding some stray current. It also happen sometime when I don't activate the horn and no blown fuses. I have also inspected every wire that I can see. It is intermittent and not forceable. I have pulled the seat and shelter and opened and cleaned every connection I can find. It feels like a bad ground but I cant seem to find all the frame grounds. All Ideas are welcome.
Robby (flyfishpa)
2005 GL1800/Champion Trike

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Beeld Over noise in my Audio and CB

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 am

flyfishpa wrote:Hello Everyone...Have a problem that is difficult to find. Was looking for advice on what to do. The problem is some kind of interference affecting my radio cb and horn. When I activate the horn I get a interruption in the stereo portion of my radio and a(CB) RX indication on the display along with a static crackle thru the complete audio system. Like I am bleeding or back feeding some stray current. It also happen sometime when I don't activate the horn and no blown fuses. I have also inspected every wire that I can see. It is intermittent and not forceable. I have pulled the seat and shelter and opened and cleaned every connection I can find. It feels like a bad ground but I cant seem to find all the frame grounds. All Ideas are welcome.
Robby (flyfishpa)
2005 GL1800/Champion Trike

Your horn is essentially a transmitter - it is a spark gap transmitter, the same as was used with the invention of radio, sending morse code via spark gap RF transmissions. So it's not surprising that it could transmit into your AM CB, however it really shouldn't be doing that into your FM radio.

I would check your antenna connections, to make sure they are secure and pushed in all of the way - for both radio and CB. They have shielding to protect them against stray RF. Also check the condition of the coax cable running between the CB and radio, and the antennas.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Re: Beeld Over noise in my Audio and CB

Postby Wayne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

I interpret that what is happening is the signal transmitted from the horn breaks the squelch on the CB and thus am/fm is muted. Very common on Early years of 1800. I could have my 02 1800 next to my Valkyrie and it would break the squelch on the Valkyrie. Could adjust the horn to where it would not break the squelch but it would be less effective. Actually swapped the horns to the Valkyrie and it would do the same thing. Unlike the 1500, the 1800 CB will mute the stereo when rx is in headset and music is on EXT. speakers. I find that is a very annoying way for the system to operate.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”