2014 NAVI Hung then menu displays garbled upon reset

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Gold Dog
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500
2014 GL 1800

2014 NAVI Hung then menu displays garbled upon reset

Postby Gold Dog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:59 am

New 2014 W/NAVI .... The NAVI hung while riding and would not respond to controls. Tried to power off the bike to reset the GPS and upon start up, the menu displays and XM settings showed garbled with colored lines running through them. Disconnected the battery to power reset the unit but after start up the same thing.

If I set the display to the MAP only setting then the map displays fine. The start up and shutdown Goldwing sequences are fine on the display as well. However, all of the control menus and XM setting screens displayed over the MAP are garbled on the display with colored streaks and display artifacts. If it was a PC I would say the display and card were set to different resolutions (that kind of garbled). All of the stuff is working, XM music plays, the GPS tracks, the volume controls function etc. Just the display of the menu functions is whacked out.

Fuses seem to check out, wiggled all of the wiring harnesses that I could get to.

Any other techniques to reset this? Or is it outright defective? Not good to have the electronics fail in the first month, I am hoping this is a fluke thing and not sign of ongoing electronic issues to come. My dealer is few towns away and I will schedule a trip if I cannot find a local solution.

Any help from others who may have had similar issues is greatly appreciated.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2014 NAVI Hung then menu displays garbled upon reset

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:40 am

Having some experience working with LCD panels, I would say you have either one or two bad wires on the data or addressing bus going from the computer to the LCD, or the LCD's controller itself has gone bad. In either case, it's definitely not a "fix it yourself" item, particularly on a brand new bike. Back to the dealer for this one.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”