Where to start Reverse and drivetrain problems!!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
menecer24
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Where to start Reverse and drivetrain problems!!

Postby menecer24 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello I have a 2002 GL1800A with only 2,100 miles on it. The bike has been in storage for a while as it was my fathers and he became ill. I pulled the bike out last year and it worked find. Placed it back on the center stand using the reverse like usual and turned the switch back out to forward status. When I came out this year to get it ready for sale as my father passed away the reverse light kept flashing and the starter would not do anything and the drivetrain is locked up.

I went ahead and took off all of the front cowling and got into the actuator it does not want to budge at all, I finally went and bought the proper wrench today but even with a comparable ASE wrench it would not move so not sure if the 22 will do anything different. While playing around with the actuator the dash finally showed the bike being in neutral yet the drivetrain is still locked up solid, and when you push the reverse button it will not light up or attempt to move the actuator. I attempted to go through the gears but now all it says is neutral. So I attempted to start the bike at which point all you hear is a relay pop. It obviously has to at least be the first relay not sure why the second would not be going but nothing from the starter motor at all. As long as I can get this thing to move I can atleast send it out to be gone over. Also before I did anything I would atleast here the injectors prime but I hear nothing now could that be a result of the system being fully primed now from before or do I have another gremlin to track down.

Anyone have a clue why the drivetrain may be locked up? Is it simple because the bike is still in reverse gear? Would that over ride the second relay or starter so it won't turn?

Thank You for any advice it is much appreciated I need to get this thing sold.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Where to start Reverse and drivetrain problems!!

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:07 pm

There are a couple things that can cause this. I assume you still have it up the center stand with the rear wheel in the air, so there is no load on the reverse gears.

First off, make sure the battery is fully charged - a low battery can cause the actuator to not turn.

Check the kill switch. If it is switched to OFF, or is dirty, it can cause this problem. If it's switched to RUN, give it a good tap as it can get dirty and cause this problem.

Lastly, a burned fuse or bad relay can also cause this - however the fuses/relays that are involved escape me at the moment, and I don't have any reference materials with me right now. Hopefully someone can speak up and help you there - basically, check anything involved with reverse and the starting circuit.

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks, I actually have it off the stand right now in an failed attempt to see if I could rock it back and forth, but it will be going back up before I do anything else. The Battery was fully charged and tested really good. Check all the fuses they are good and checked the reverse relays under the seat so far they all tested as being good same with the starter relays in that block. The kill switch was left in the run position I've flipped it around a lot to see if there was a bad connection in there but seemed to work like it was suppose to. I was having a hell of a time just attempting to get the actuator to move by physical force. Of course now I have the right wrench to try it so hopefully it will persuade to the right place.

Cal-D
Motorcycle: 2007 Stream Silver GL1800A

Postby Cal-D » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:49 am

Have you checked the reverse cables for binding and their adjustment ?

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 am

Yup I loosened both of them up and attempted to turn the actuator just incase that was the problem. Still wouldn't budge at that time.

Cal-D

Postby Cal-D » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:18 am

Does the reverse light go out and neutral light on when you release the reverse button ?

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:25 am

The reverse switch will not do anything anymore the neutral light just stays on all the time even when shifting it into other gears.

Cal-D

Postby Cal-D » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:59 am

Do I get this correct ? The reverse indicator light is off and does not turn on when the switch is pushed ? Also the neutral light stays on all the time even when shifting into gear and pushing the reverse button ? If so what happens when you shift into gear and let out the clutch ?

I assume the side stand is up and the indicator light is off ?

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Yup the reverse indicator light is now off before all it did was flash. The switch on the handlebars appears to do absolutely nothing now it won't turn the reverse light on at all. The Neutral light goes off only during the motion or swinging of the gear shifter then light comes right back on for neutral. But it is not going into any gear as far as I can tell because its not in neutral because the driveline is completely locked up. Clutch engagement seems to do nothing. I tried with the stand up which does operate its light correctly. If I could get this thing to either move freely or start up I could more easily attack this thing sadly neither of those are an option right now.

Cal-D

Postby Cal-D » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Does the headlight go out when pushing the start button ? Start by checking Fuses 8,10,11,12 and 23, check them with a meter not just visual. If they check good, remove the lower cowl and remove
the center inner fairing.(black one) Return the reverse shift actuator to the neutral position by turning the pulley clockwise using a 22 mm wrench. ( only 40deg rotation) If the pulley cannot be turned, check the reverse shift actuator. If the actuator is OK, check the reverse shift mechanism. Turn the ignition switch to “ON” and push the reverse shift switch to “ON” position. Check that the reverse actuator turns to the reverse position and the reverse indicator comes on.

Do you have a manual ? If not it can be downloaded from this site
Attachments

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Yup I have the manual. I tried the sequence that you are talking about. Of course at that time I was using a comparable SAE wrench as I didn't have a 22mm wrench but I have one now to give it a try. It wouldn't budge with the SAE I tried losing the cables and it still wouldn't and I tried having someone else turn the reverse switch on to see if it moved and it did not. Fuses were all checked by meter as well.

Cal-D

Postby Cal-D » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Any chance of mice eating wires ? If the pulley won't turn then follow the procedure in the manual. Keep us informed

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:20 am

Ok here is the update. I was able to get the actuator to move which has freed up the drive train. Turning on the bike and attempting to have the actuator move back in to reverse has not worked. I did find one broken wire connecting to the reverse relay under the seat that I didn't see before fixed it but that has not fixed the reverse problem.

In reference to the starting problem I check both starter relays. Number 1 checked out great, Number 2 relay was fine but had zero continuity on the ground. Looked at the schematic it comes back to the reverse sensor on the crankcase. Took off the sensor and it had continuity. Then broke the sensor post I knew the thing was fragile but didn't think that bad. So I then went ahead and grounded the wire that connects to that sensor to the frame and the starter then kicked in. Still could not get it to start. Does anyone know why this sensor would not be grounding out when it test fine. What does it actually connect to to complete the circuit for ground in the crankcase?

Also on a side note I took off the whole fairing figuring I would have to most likely at some point anyways. After that and originally attempting to turn the reverse actuator I no longer hear the injectors prime and their is no longer the FI light lighting on the dash. So that is a new thing to tackle unless its as simple as making sure a connector in that area is plugged back in.

Cal-D

Postby Cal-D » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:06 pm

If the fairing is off the bike then so is the BAS which is attached to the right headlight, it will not start without that plugged in and sitting upright. You can remove the BAS(bank angle sensor) from the headlight by two Phillips screws and plug it back onto the green 3 pin connector and zip tie or tape it to the bike so it sits upright.

menecer24

Postby menecer24 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:45 am

Dang it I should have remembered to have done that. Thanks I will do that on Tuesday when I can get back out to their house. On the grounding issue with the reverse sensor any idea why that wouldn't have been grounded?

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Techdude2000 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Don't know the outcome and fully realize this was back in October, but the reverse switch on the engine wasn't grounding the wire if the reverse mechanics inside the motor were not fully into the neutral position. The switch is grounded by the link arm inside the motor. This would also not allow the transmission to be moved into any gear. Hopefully this has been fixed and is all good now.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”