Double blink on replacing flasher for LED signals

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
redbear7938
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing Silverstream

Double blink on replacing flasher for LED signals

Postby redbear7938 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 pm

I have replaced my turn signals with LEDs from SoCal lighting. They are very good and plug and play although the installation has had a few challenges along the way. I have replaced the OEM flasher with the special flasher for the LEDs. My problem now is that I get a double flash. It's not the straight rapid flash you get with the LEDs and the OEM flasher unit. I think I saw somewhere that that was caused by having both the old and the new flasher units installed at the same time. I get the double flash with and without the OEM flash unit in its socket. Any thoughts on what could be the cause of this?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Double blink on replacing flasher for LED signals

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "double flash" - you mean it flashes twice, delays, then flashes twice again?

redbear7938

Postby redbear7938 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Yes. Flash flash pause flash flash pause. The long pause is about twice as long as the short pause.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:34 pm

redbear7938 wrote:I have replaced my turn signals with LEDs from SoCal lighting. They are very good and plug and play although the installation has had a few challenges along the way. I have replaced the OEM flasher with the special flasher for the LEDs. My problem now is that I get a double flash. It's not the straight rapid flash you get with the LEDs and the OEM flasher unit. I think I saw somewhere that that was caused by having both the old and the new flasher units installed at the same time. I get the double flash with and without the OEM flash unit in its socket. Any thoughts on what could be the cause of this?

Yes, I have heard of this exact problem. The instructions show that you are to disconnect the old flasher and connect only the new flasher. However, if you don't closely follow the instructions, the harness appears as though you should plug in every connector to its mate - and in doing so, you will end up connecting both flashers. Have a close look at the instructions and see if you connected one of the connectors that you should not have.

redbear7938

Postby redbear7938 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Thank you for your help. You are exactly right and that was the start of my trouble. I got a new set of instructions from SoCal lighting and sure enough it said only plug in one jack on the new relay. By now I have caused myself another problem. I put the OEM flasher in backwards just to see if it would do something that might fix or give me another clue on the problem. But instead it seemed I blew a fuse as the flasher no longer works at all. I checked the fuse which also serves the horn.. the fuse is good. I notice my low headlights don't work either, so I checked the low headlight fuse... it is good too. Somehow I have lost power to the turn signal relay and the low beam headlights. I am wondering if there is another fuse or fusible link. I brought this on on myself... but haven't a clue what that problem is. Thanks for your help

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:09 pm

redbear7938 wrote:Thank you for your help. You are exactly right and that was the start of my trouble. I got a new set of instructions from SoCal lighting and sure enough it said only plug in one jack on the new relay. By now I have caused myself another problem. I put the OEM flasher in backwards just to see if it would do something that might fix or give me another clue on the problem. But instead it seemed I blew a fuse as the flasher no longer works at all. I checked the fuse which also serves the horn.. the fuse is good. I notice my low headlights don't work either, so I checked the low headlight fuse... it is good too. Somehow I have lost power to the turn signal relay and the low beam headlights. I am wondering if there is another fuse or fusible link. I brought this on on myself... but haven't a clue what that problem is. Thanks for your help

Check your relay #8 - swap it with another (known good) relay and see if that fixes the turn signal/horn issue.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”