Electrical-Blinker indicaters light up when brake is applied

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Electrical-Blinker indicaters light up when brake is applied

Postby Flyn Tiger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 pm

My bike is a 02 model. Last Thursday when riding I noticed when I applied my brakes, both of my blinker indicaters on the dash would dimly light up like the hazards are on. When I turned on the turn signals the same thing would happen. I got off the bike and looked at the back end and the lights on the saddle bags were very dim. I took the bike to the shop and they went through the wiring harness and in the boot under the seat they found a what they thought was a loose connection. It was all tightened up and all seemed to work well.....had the bike back by noon Sat. Rode some Saturday and Sunday afternoon when it started doing it again. I took the seat off and have gone through all the connections with no good results. It does have a pig tail on it that has been there for years and nothing has been added to the lights in about a yr and a half. I have not found any nics in the wires anywhere. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it. Supposed to be leaving for Pigeon Forge the 24th and taking the bike.

Thanks in advance,
Flyn Tiger.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Electrical-Blinker indicaters light up when brake is app

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Dim lights and ones lit when they should not be indicates a bad ground.
Because you see dim lights in the rear and it shows itself with the brake lights,I can speculate that the ground to those lights is the problem.
Keep in mind,a solid dark green wire is the bikes ground wires.
Under the seat is the harness for the rear lights.It will have this green ground.
2 points of interest is the connector plug and the grounding lug.It may be right on the cross bar.
If possible,remove the seat,kill the ignition(kill switch),turn on the key and hold the brake on.
As you see the turn lamps light,wiggle each plug and connector.One of then usually will show its self as bad,you know you found it when the lamps go back to normal.
Once you locate the connection problem,either fix it,clean it or bypass it.
Don't blindly scrape clean everything you can pull apart,locate the problem by the wiggle,twist,tug method.
A DVM can also point to a bad ground by looking for volts on a green wire.
Suspect any corrosion in a plug or under the frame ground lug.
If you find it,take pictures and note where you found it.post them for the rest of us.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:10 am

Update- As I mentioned I had the bike in the shop and it worked for a day and a half then started again. Went to the plug connection you spoke of and cleaned, then added a squirt of WD40 to it. Still lights would not work properly. I'm thinking well put the seat back on and take it back to the shop. Put the seat on and the lights work fine. That has been 3 days ago. I'll be riding again this afternoon to see what happens. I'm thinking it is a ground or a pinched wire somewhere. I did rearrange the wires some when I had it apart this time. Sure is fustrating. Thanks for your input.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Update. Bike is confusing me. Now both blinker lights are coming on ebery once in a while and when the brakes are applied. It doesnt do this all the time, rode only 20-25 miles and it only did it as I pulled into my driveway. Just got home from riding the dragons tail in Tennessee and it only did it a few times and again when the brakes are applied. I have checked ground wires on both sides and with the pig tail wiring harness on the back. All is tight and no skint wires or wires that appear to be pinched. Any Ideas on what is goi g on folks?

tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

Postby tech1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 am

Hello
I am an automotive technition by profession. As you describe the issue sounds like a bad bulb. I have found several bulb elements go open and come in contact with the other circut
back feeding voltage. are all the lights working corectly? if not try? Try removing that bulb and see if it continues.
Tech1

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 pm

Tech 1, all lights are working correctly. Did you read all my posts? My problem has changed a couple of times. Both blinker lights on the dash are coming on only on occasion now when the brakes are applied. A couple of times it would act up while the brakes are applied and other times it would clear up while the brakes are on. Really got me stumped. Going on a ride in the am and it will probably be put nack in the shop Monday if I cant figure this out over the weekend. What else do you think it could be. This just started out of the blue.....

Trikester
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing Trike GL1800

Re: Electrical-Blinker indicaters light up when brake is applied

Postby Trikester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:23 pm

I have the same problem. Tore the bike apart looking for a bad ground. Nothing. Going krazy.
Did you ever solve the problem?

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah, by accident. Wish I could tell you exactly where the problem was at. I had my bike at Bikes and Trikes in West Monroe, La. For almost 3 weeks......they worked on it when they could. Looked under the seat and in wiring under the storage compartment on the left side of the fairing. Steve bypassed a couple of areas which has seemed to fix it, but to tell you exactly where it was at, sorry I'm not much help. Yes it was very fustrating.

Good luck!

mudbug
Motorcycle: 2005 gl 1800a

Postby mudbug » Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

IF YOU go over to gl1800riders.com and look for techdudes posts there is a known problem with one of the boot/connections under the seat. bug

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

I think that is one if the areas where Steve was looking on my bike. Thanks for the info Mudbug.

mudbug
Motorcycle: 2005 gl 1800a

Postby mudbug » Sun May 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Hope you get it fixed

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon May 04, 2015 4:18 am

I did. Been working with no problems since about November. Thanks.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”