CB Radio 2008 GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Camel
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Gold WIng Trike

CB Radio 2008 GL1800

Postby Camel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Having just had a CB radio installed, I was fustrated to find that although it worked fine when we left the shop in Albuquerque, it had stopped working by the time we got to Kansas City. The left handle bar control functions are all working - the radio appears to channel up/down, squelch up/down and volumn up/down, but I get no sounds out of either the headset or the external speakers. I have checked all connections under the seat. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.
Camel

SilverHawk
Motorcycle: Currently w/o a ride. :(

Re: CB Radio 2008 GL1800

Postby SilverHawk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:31 pm

You might check the antenna connectivity - both into and out of the radio, and the antenna itself. I was having a problem with mine and found the small nuts on the antenna had come loose for some reason, and that caused the antenna to not have connectivity past the black portion on that antenna. In other words, the antenna was too short (electrically) and didn't allow input/output from the radio itself. Mine did show "transmit" when the button was pushed. Other than that I can't think of anything else other than the rig itself. Good luck.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 am

You won't hear anything until you get the squelch level down to less than 5, if you use the control on the left handlebar and lower the squelch to 1, you should hear white noise (just random shushing). Now look at the LCD display and you should see some text saying CB (bottom left of deisplay), then there will be the channel number and if the squelch is set to 1, it should also say rx. Does it? Where is says CB, does it have a crude picture of a speaker or headset? If you push the button on the gas tank, maked CB, you wan toggle between the speakers and headset. If the rx symbol is not showing then you will not hear anything, the RX symbol only comes on when the CB is trying to outpur some sound (when the incoming signal is stropnger than the squelch level). Let us know what you see. To turn the CB on or off you have to press the CB button on the gas tank and hold it down for 2 to 3 seconds.

Regards Gary

Camel
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Gold WIng Trike

Postby Camel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 pm

First off - apologies for not posting sooner - been on the road. Thanks for all the suggestions - talked to the guys who installed it, found out it was under warrenty. So I finally found another local dealer who agreed to look at it and it was a bad CB. Honda agreed to fund the the new one and all labor so we are up and running with a new CB. Thanks again.
Camel

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”