LED lights and laws????

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Dpkal
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

LED lights and laws????

Postby Dpkal » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:59 pm

I am new here and if this topic has already been covered I am sorry. I just bought a 2001 gl1800 and the previous owner installed blue led driving lights to match the color of the bike. these lights do not shine to the front or the rear of the bike and they do not flash, they are installed under the trunk and on the sides of the front fairing facing the ground. I didnt think too much of this when i bought the bike, but have had some friends ask if they were legal? searching web has confused me more and found nothing, living in ohio and wanting to travel on this bike i dont want to attract attention to myself. any toughts on this would be awesome. I plan on asing some cops and state guys when i can...

thanks Patrick
OHIO

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: LED lights and laws????

Postby Steve F » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 am

Well, the cops are probably going to tell you that they're NOT legal, but the way I look at it is IF they are not directly viewable, they're OK. In other words, if you're seeing the light they produce and not the source you should be OK.....IF they're pointing at the ground and you can't see the LED, don't worry about it...(at least I wouldn't worry about it).
The laws specifically state that red and blue lights have their place on emergency vehicles, but you're particular application must be such that you are creating a "glow" around the bike and not trying to be an emergency vehicle.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:00 am

Not legal while moving! Having said that, FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) explains legal lighting.
Having been a LEO for 30yrs, I have never stopped anyone for having "Boogie Lights" or colorful LEDs highlighting different parts of vehicles,
Most LEO's can tell the difference in decorative lighting vs. lights that do in deed violate the intent of the law.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:55 am

Not legal to have on while riding...but that said, I see TONS of people riding around in Ohio with them on all the time, and I'm pretty sure the only way you're going to get pulled over for them is if a cop already wants to pull you over, and just needs an excuse in order to do it (you know, dirty license plate, brake light out, etc).

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Illegal in Alberta, Canada. Im pretty sure it is illegal in the rest of Canada as well.

As per the Alberta Traffic Safety Act the only colour of lights that can emit from;
- Front: Amber and White.
- Side: Amber and Red.
- Rear: Amber, Red, White.

Like tfdeuptydog I have never stopped someone for having colourful additions to their bikes unless they violated the intent of the law. I did stop one guy who had swapped out the majority of his trucks lights with controllable multi-coloured LEDs that were set to everything but the legal colours. As soon as I turned my lights on to pull him over he reset all lights to legal colours and claimed I was seeing things. It did not work out for him... Makes we wish we had In-Car Digital Video back then though...
Craig

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:43 pm

CWJ73 wrote:I have never stopped someone for having colourful additions to their bikes unless they violated the intent of the law. I did stop one guy who had swapped out the majority of his trucks lights with controllable multi-coloured LEDs that were set to everything but the legal colours. As soon as I turned my lights on to pull him over he reset all lights to legal colours and claimed I was seeing things. It did not work out for him... Makes we wish we had In-Car Digital Video back then though...

All that being said, may I ask, as a question of curiosity, what you have to say about modulators for motorcycle headlights, and how you are treating them where you live and work. Here in Ontario, some OPP have begun ticketing for lack of proper lighting if a bike has a modulating headlight. One of our GWRRA associates from Michigan is in the process of taking his citation to court. There have been seven or eight incidences now in the past four months of motorcycles being cited for lack of proper lighting due to these modulators, and strangely, every officer involved has been OPP, female, and from the same approximate graduating class, or at least same year.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
1988 NX 650

Postby Snowmoer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Modulators are legal here in the states. A wig wag unit, one that would alternate the flashing of the headlights back and forth are not legal. A modulator only dims the headlight and then goes back to full bright.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 pm

themainviking wrote:
CWJ73 wrote:I have never stopped someone for having colourful additions to their bikes unless they violated the intent of the law. I did stop one guy who had swapped out the majority of his trucks lights with controllable multi-coloured LEDs that were set to everything but the legal colours. As soon as I turned my lights on to pull him over he reset all lights to legal colours and claimed I was seeing things. It did not work out for him... Makes we wish we had In-Car Digital Video back then though...

All that being said, may I ask, as a question of curiosity, what you have to say about modulators for motorcycle headlights, and how you are treating them where you live and work. Here in Ontario, some OPP have begun ticketing for lack of proper lighting if a bike has a modulating headlight. One of our GWRRA associates from Michigan is in the process of taking his citation to court. There have been seven or eight incidences now in the past four months of motorcycles being cited for lack of proper lighting due to these modulators, and strangely, every officer involved has been OPP, female, and from the same approximate graduating class, or at least same year.

If there is a question about headlight modulators, here is a little bit of reading material.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm
They are legal in Canada. The above article has it in English and French.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Modulators are legal in both the US and Canada, all states and provinces (it is a federal regulation, and no state/provincial or local regulation can override it). If you look on the Manuals page, you can see the following document:

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - USA and Canada (102 KB)

This is a PDF of a card you can print out and carry with you in your bike. It includes the full applicable laws for both US and Canada. Much preferable to educate an uninformed police officer on the side of the road than to go through the time and expense of having the judge educate him after the fact in court (which is normally what happens).

Dpkal
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Postby Dpkal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Thank you for all your feedback. still just as confused as i was when i started, but at least i have some insite. sounds like it is up to the individual cop that pulls you over, and usually will be pulling you over for somethig else.

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:14 pm

themainviking wrote:

Answering opinion questions can be difficult at times. This first thing I will often say when being asked is "are you asking me as a citizen or as a LEO?" My personal and professional opinions are occasionally different.

I have never actually seen anyone using a headlight modulator being used in Calgary. I do know they are out there. My Dad's best friend has one (not often used). I have seen taillight modulators though. I have seen some of your previous posts on another thread about the OPP ticketing for headlight modulators. I am curious what the exact Act and Section they are being ticketed for.

After reading your posts on other threads I did some Googling and found the Alberta Traffic Safety Act - Vehicle Equipment Regulation (VER) http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf Section 10, which reads as follows;

Cycle headlamps
10 (1) A cycle must have at least one headlamp.
(2) A headlamp of a moped or power bicycle must
(a) be mounted not more than 1.5 metres and not less than 510 millimetres above ground level,
(b) provide a high beam not higher than 1.06 metres above ground level at a distance of 23 metres ahead, and
(c) reveal a person or another vehicle at a distance of at least 60 metres ahead at nighttime during normal atmospheric conditions.
(3) If a motor cycle is equipped with a headlamp modulator, the headlight modulator
(a) must be the only one installed on the motor cycle, and
(b) must comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) respecting headlight modulators.

I have briefly looking into the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and found a reference to headlamp modulators being in the Technical Standards Document 108 (WingAdmin references this document here on this website), but I have not been able to find a pdf or other readable version of Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) or Technical Standards Document 108 freely available for review. Because of this I am not comfortable speaking to what is said in those documents, but I suspect they are purely technical requirements for how the modulator needs to function.

Based on the above information Motorcycle Headlamp Modulators are LEGAL in Alberta.

A related section of the VER, Section 35 reads as follows;

Flashing headlamps
35 (1) An emergency vehicle that is allowed flashing lamps under this Regulation may also have headlamps that flash when the high beams are on.
(2) A person shall not turn on or use the flashing headlamps on a vehicle unless the vehicle’s flashing lamps are operating as allowed under this Regulation.

As we all probably know a Flashing Headlamp is different than a Modulating Headlamp. The Flashing Headlamp goes Full On to Full Off. The Modulating Headlamp NEVER goes Full Off, it just rapidly modifies the level of illumination.

Although I have not read any Provincial Acts for Ontario which may speak to headlight modulators, I wonder if a similar section to VER S.35 is what motorcycles are being ticketed for.

My personal opinion on modulators (and any safety device); I will put anything on my bike that has a chance of making me more visible to other drivers and as such making me safer. If a LEO believes that my modifications and/or additions are in violation of the Law and he/she has found sufficient grounds to issue me a summons (ticket) I will accept that summons and have my day in court. If a Justice of the Peace or Judge, has judged that I have violated the law I will submit myself to their judgement.

I don't have a headlamp modulator... yet. I do have a taillamp modulator, and I plan to get the trunk spoiler modulator as well.
Craig

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:29 pm

MikeB wrote:
themainviking wrote:

If there is a question about headlight modulators, here is a little bit of reading material.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm
They are legal in Canada. The above article has it in English and French.

I would hesitate to recommend or refer someone to read a document that purports to describe law from a website that is not a government owned or run website. Many people (LEOs, lawyers, etc) have their own opinion on the intent (myself included) of the law and are not always fully versed in every article, act, section, regulated, etc that may speak to the issue. Personal and/or business run websites often contain out of date or inaccurate information regarding Law. Additionally there are jurisdictional issues at play. Everyone seems to be referring to the 'high level' Federal Act and documents for determining the legality of modulators. Yes these documents make modulators legal, BUT each of the individual Provinces in Canada can enact their own Acts and Regulations that modify and/or negate the Federal Acts and as a result make the modulators illegal in a province while still being legal in another.

If anyone wishes to locate the official acts I would suggest going starting with the Government of Canada website, the Provincial website for the Province in questions or http://www.canlii.org. CANLII is a government run website that contains all Canadian Law and Case Law created from Judicial rulings in a Canadian Court of Law.
Craig

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:37 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Modulators are legal in both the US and Canada, all states and provinces (it is a federal regulation, and no state/provincial or local regulation can override it).

This statement is not entirely true. Federal Law is the highest level of Law in Canada (aside from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms), but Provincial law can alter and change how Federal Law is applied. Much in the same way that Municipal Law can alter the application of Provincial Law. It is a matter of Jurisdiction. Add the Courts into this, who have the power to alter or dispense with any Law short of the Charter in a single ruling. But of course there is always some sort of built in oversight for this.

WingAdmin wrote:If you look on the Manuals page, you can see the following document:

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - USA and Canada (102 KB)

This is a PDF of a card you can print out and carry with you in your bike. It includes the full applicable laws for both US and Canada. Much preferable to educate an uninformed police officer on the side of the road than to go through the time and expense of having the judge educate him after the fact in court (which is normally what happens).

Although I think this is a great idea in theory, it may not go over well with LEOs, and I would think even less so in Ontario. Ontario (and a lesser extent in other Provinces) has a very strong 'Freeman on the Land' or 'Sovereign Citizen' movement. These 'Freemen'/'Sovereignists' are very dangerous to a police officer and VERY OFTEN engage in distraction tactics that include handing over 'legal paperwork', 'lawful document', 'Schedules', etc and attempt to 'educate' officers on the roadside with the intent of creating a situation in which they are able to over power the officer.

If the officer is receptive to being given this document then by all means show it to him. If he/she is not then don't push the issue.

As I once heard a Judge say to an Accused in court; "The roadside is not the place to argue your case. You argue your case in a Court of Law. The job of the Police Officer is to give you your ticket. My job is to decide if you broke the law or not."
Craig

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 am

CWJ73 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Modulators are legal in both the US and Canada, all states and provinces (it is a federal regulation, and no state/provincial or local regulation can override it).

This statement is not entirely true. Federal Law is the highest level of Law in Canada (aside from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms), but Provincial law can alter and change how Federal Law is applied. Much in the same way that Municipal Law can alter the application of Provincial Law. It is a matter of Jurisdiction. Add the Courts into this, who have the power to alter or dispense with any Law short of the Charter in a single ruling. But of course there is always some sort of built in oversight for this.

My experience has shown me that this is true in Canada. The Provincial and Municipal LEO's frequently override Federal code in these matters, rightly or wrongly. The courts must decide which.

CWJ73 wrote:Although I think this is a great idea in theory, it may not go over well with LEOs, and I would think even less so in Ontario. Ontario (and a lesser extent in other Provinces) has a very strong 'Freeman on the Land' or 'Sovereign Citizen' movement. These 'Freemen'/'Sovereignists' are very dangerous to a police officer and VERY OFTEN engage in distraction tactics that include handing over 'legal paperwork', 'lawful document', 'Schedules', etc and attempt to 'educate' officers on the roadside with the intent of creating a situation in which they are able to over power the officer.

If the officer is receptive to being given this document then by all means show it to him. If he/she is not then don't push the issue.

As I once heard a Judge say to an Accused in court; "The roadside is not the place to argue your case. You argue your case in a Court of Law. The job of the Police Officer is to give you your ticket. My job is to decide if you broke the law or not."

In my experience, this also is totally factual here in Ontario. I thought, possibly without justification, that other provinces were the same in the regard of Freemen/Sovereignty issues, but having not lived in Alberta for many years, my experience is limited there. I am from the west originally (Calgary) and I also find that Ontario Natural Residents are of the opinion that they can change an OPP's views. Personally, I have always found that accepting whatever the LEO has to say, and taking my day in court, are the most prudent actions. This does not make me happy, it just saves a lot of B.S. at the side of the road. As to the question of the modulating headlamps? I have not been able to find anything in the Provincial Traffic Act that agrees that modulating is permissible. The statements you found in the Alberta code do not appear to exist in Ontario's. The summons' have been issued under Part VI, Article 62(2) of the regulations. The statements of offence on the summons' are "failure to have proper lighting" and "lack of proper lighting"

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 pm

I spent almost an hour trying to extract the applicable Technical Service Description (108) from the Transport Canada site, with no success. That site is a huge maze of bad links and outdated documents.

I did however find a document on the Province of Quebec site that actually recommends the use of headlight modulators on motorcycles. It is in French (of course) but you can get the gist of it, it starts on page 9: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publications ... e_moto.pdf

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:47 pm

themainviking wrote:
CWJ73 wrote:

My experience has shown me that this is true in Canada. The Provincial and Municipal LEO's frequently override Federal code in these matters, rightly or wrongly. The courts must decide which.

I can give an example that shows how this works in Alberta. There is a Federal Technical Specification Document that specifies how Red Lamps on a School Bus are to function when in use and makes these lamps legal in Canada. These are the red lamps that function like Amber Hazard lights on a normal vehicle. There is a Provincial Act that specifies how drivers are to respond (stop) when a School Bus has activated these lamps. In Calgary there is a Bylaw that makes it illegal for a School Bus driver to activate the Red Lamps. Calgary Police, and RCMP, are required to enforce this bylaw within Calgary despite the Federal and Provincial Acts making the lamps legal because within Calgary they are illegal to use.

themainviking wrote:
CWJ73 wrote:Although I think this is a great idea in theory, it may not go over well with LEOs, and I would think even less so in Ontario. Ontario (and a lesser extent in other Provinces) has a very strong 'Freeman on the Land' or 'Sovereign Citizen' movement. These 'Freemen'/'Sovereignists' are very dangerous to a police officer and VERY OFTEN engage in distraction tactics that include handing over 'legal paperwork', 'lawful document', 'Schedules', etc and attempt to 'educate' officers on the roadside with the intent of creating a situation in which they are able to over power the officer.

In my experience, this also is totally factual here in Ontario. I thought, possibly without justification, that other provinces were the same in the regard of Freemen/Sovereignty issues, but having not lived in Alberta for many years, my experience is limited there. I am from the west originally (Calgary) and I also find that Ontario Natural Residents are of the opinion that they can change an OPP's views. Personally, I have always found that accepting whatever the LEO has to say, and taking my day in court, are the most prudent actions. This does not make me happy, it just saves a lot of B.S. at the side of the road. As to the question of the modulating headlamps? I have not been able to find anything in the Provincial Traffic Act that agrees that modulating is permissible. The statements you found in the Alberta code do not appear to exist in Ontario's. The summons' have been issued under Part VI, Article 62(2) of the regulations. The statements of offence on the summons' are "failure to have proper lighting" and "lack of proper lighting"

I did a quick Google search for Section 62(2) of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and found it on Canlii.org, http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/rso-1990-c-h8/latest/. Section 62 reads as follows;

Lamps
Lamps required on motorcycles

62(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).
Idem
(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

From what I can read here, there is nothing in this section to restrict or disallow a Headlight modulator. Mind you I did not do a search for Ontario Case Law which may have amended this Section to disallow or restrict Headlight Modulators. I did a brief search of this Act and I can not find any section that speaks to Headlight Modulators. Perhaps there is a related Act or Regulation that speaks to Headlamp Modulators in Ontario.

My suggestion would be to speak to the local OPP detachment, legal council or the Crown Prosecutors office to get an official statement on Headlamp Modulators in Ontario because that ticket does not make any sense to me based on the information you provided in this and previous posts.
Craig

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:31 am

CWJ73 wrote:My suggestion would be to speak to the local OPP detachment, legal council or the Crown Prosecutors office to get an official statement on Headlamp Modulators in Ontario because that ticket does not make any sense to me based on the information you provided in this and previous posts.

This has already been done, and is the reason I asked the question. The OPP traffic Sergeant was not too interested in communication on the subject and stated that he was not in the practice of reviewing his officer's summons books. I was attempting to understand the grounds under which an officer would write the summons, when the Act really does not apply in the situation. Perhaps if those who were ticketed just pay the tickets it will create a precedence? That is the only reason we have found that does make sense. It has been referred to a lawyer, who also does not understand the reasoning behind the summons. We shall find out the results, probably in the new year, as these things drag on forever. I will post the final act in this play.

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:17 pm

From local small town experience the "parade lights" have become a reason for LEOs to pull you over even if they are legal by the law; its a means to see if your an a-ho or if there is anything else they CAN ticket you for. If it was me I'd leave them in place but rig a switch so you can turn off the coolness factor when you're on the road or actually in a parade.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:43 pm

themainviking wrote:
CWJ73 wrote:My suggestion would be to speak to the local OPP detachment, legal council or the Crown Prosecutors office to get an official statement on Headlamp Modulators in Ontario because that ticket does not make any sense to me based on the information you provided in this and previous posts.

This has already been done, and is the reason I asked the question. The OPP traffic Sergeant was not too interested in communication on the subject and stated that he was not in the practice of reviewing his officer's summons books. I was attempting to understand the grounds under which an officer would write the summons, when the Act really does not apply in the situation. Perhaps if those who were ticketed just pay the tickets it will create a precedence? That is the only reason we have found that does make sense. It has been referred to a lawyer, who also does not understand the reasoning behind the summons. We shall find out the results, probably in the new year, as these things drag on forever. I will post the final act in this play.

Ok, I did not know you guys had already asked. That is disappointing that the OPP were less than helpful. Let us all know how this ticket ends up being resolved. I am especially interested.
Craig

Deputy1952
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby Deputy1952 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am

Just to muddy the issue a little more, as a retired Georgia LEO I can tell you that blue lights of any kind, flashing or steady, are prohibited on any motor vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle (and there are no privately owned law enforcement vehicles in Georgia other than a vehicle owned by an elected Sheriff, IF he or she has a contract with the county to use his or her personal vehicle on the job. I know of none in the state that do). Some Georgia LEOs will enforce this law strictly and some won't. Georgia also has a law that says ALL lighting on a motor vehicle must comply with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard for motor vehicle lighting, which specifies only white, amber, and red lighting. Thus, any other color would be prohibited. I have known a few LEOs who will also enforce this, at least to the point of using it as a reason to initiate a traffic stop while "fishing" for other, more serious offenses such as alcohol or drugs. Don't attack me for this - I'm just telling you what the law is in Georgia and that one may be stopped for having non-standard lighting on their motorcycle (or car). Ride safe!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 am

Deputy1952 wrote:Just to muddy the issue a little more, as a retired Georgia LEO I can tell you that blue lights of any kind, flashing or steady, are prohibited on any motor vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle (and there are no privately owned law enforcement vehicles in Georgia other than a vehicle owned by an elected Sheriff, IF he or she has a contract with the county to use his or her personal vehicle on the job. I know of none in the state that do). Some Georgia LEOs will enforce this law strictly and some won't. Georgia also has a law that says ALL lighting on a motor vehicle must comply with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard for motor vehicle lighting, which specifies only white, amber, and red lighting. Thus, any other color would be prohibited. I have known a few LEOs who will also enforce this, at least to the point of using it as a reason to initiate a traffic stop while "fishing" for other, more serious offenses such as alcohol or drugs. Don't attack me for this - I'm just telling you what the law is in Georgia and that one may be stopped for having non-standard lighting on their motorcycle (or car). Ride safe!

You're right that it varies (greatly) from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I know up in Ontario that a blue light on a vehicle means "snow plow," although they have modified regs in the last few years to allow blue (and red and white) flashing lights on police cars, instead of just red and white.

Where I live, the police turn a blind eye to the "custom lighting" people put on their vehicles. I see blue, purple, green, you name it. Green turn signals, purple brake lights, anything goes. I even saw an idiot the other day in town who set up his driving lights and the "angel eye" ring around his headlights to show up RED. It looked like brake lights, like he was driving down the street backwards.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:12 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Where I live, the police turn a blind eye to the "custom lighting" people put on their vehicles. I see blue, purple, green, you name it. Green turn signals, purple brake lights, anything goes. I even saw an idiot the other day in town who set up his driving lights and the "angel eye" ring around his headlights to show up RED. It looked like brake lights, like he was driving down the street backwards.

Boy that sure doesn't sound like a real good idea. Especially in the rain when people are following tail lights. :lol:

Bob

Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”