Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 am

Sadly there seems to me there has been little improvement on the GL1800 illumination from the 1500. It has been just over a year since I eventually made the change to a 1800, a 2002 but with only 8k on the clock. It is so disappointing that so little improvements seem to have been made. I have retro fitted excellent illuminated handlebar controls with dimmer control from Rivco Products

I have removed the tuppence hapenny Mickey Mouse faulty hazard and foglight switches and retro fitted good quality switches, after visiting rattlebars website, that cost me less than 5 quid for hazards that I can switch between working with or without ignition being on.

I will also be improving the illumination to this panel to match the handlebar controls as I know others have done, I will be removing the radio unit to improve the dull grey looking illumination in the same way also, that only shows up when on a unlit country lane, and is dull even then.

It started when a mate turned up a few weeks ago to show me his new 2014 Honda Civic for which he paid = to $32,000, I was astonished at the quality of the cockpit and dash illumination compared to a Goldwing that costs = to $40,000. I have not seen the illumination display on a late model or 2014 Goldwing yet, but I wonder if any improvements have been made over the red needles.

Suppose I am too old school, but is it expecting too much from a $40,000 bike.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Re: Illumination

Postby wing rider 2012 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:39 pm

The 2012 and up models all have white needles instead of the red. I'm currently in the process of changing the illumination on my 2012 to amber leds. So far I have the illumination converted on the radio control panel and the suspension controls, my next project is the handlebar controls, I'm saving the instrument panel for last.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”