Coolant leaks

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Winglife
Motorcycle: 2002 GL 1800

Coolant leaks

Postby Winglife » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

I recently discovered a coolant leak. It was coming from the upper radiator hose where it is clamped to the back of what I believe is the water pump or thermostat. The clamp was loose. Somehow I was able to see the leak with a flashlight. After going to the parts store where I bought a 1/4" universal joint, I was able to reach It with an extension and get a socket on the clamp and tighten it. Whew!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Coolant leaks

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Winglife wrote:I recently discovered a coolant leak. It was coming from the upper radiator hose where it is clamped to the back of what I believe is the water pump or thermostat. The clamp was loose. Somehow I was able to see the leak with a flashlight. After going to the parts store where I bought a 1/4" universal joint, I was able to reach It with an extension and get a socket on the clamp and tighten it. Whew!

Was it leaking all the time, or just when the bike was sitting cold? It's fairly common to have bikes start leaking a bit of coolant when the weather gets cold, but then seal right up when it warms up again. That said, now that you've tightened the clamp, you likely won't have any more problems.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:27 am

A while back, I had the "opportunity" (LOL) to remove the fuel tank and when I was in there, I went around and tightened up the clamps that I could reach, and found a coolant leak that was there for some time....nothing serious, but annoying. You know...you can smell it, but nothing on the ground. While I was in there I sprayed a lot of things down with simple green, and brushed it and rinsed it really well....nice and clean now!
I think HONDA assembled a lot of the motorcycle in sections, and they could reach those clamps when the sub assembly was separate from the rest of the bike. Put the sections together, and all of a sudden, you can't get to 90% of the stuff without major cursing.
I would recommend taking the extra time if you ever have the top shelter off to go the extra mile and remove the fuel tank and get at those things under it. Tighten up the hoses, and check and clean the electrical ground screw and wires at the frame behind the engine.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

k1w1t1m
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate. 105,000miles and still going strong.(sold)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (possibly for sale soon)
1997 Gl1500 SE in pearl sapphire black.

Postby k1w1t1m » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Glad you found and were able to fix your leak. Many times it is the "o"ring seals. When they get hard and the weather gets cold they'll seep a couple of drops. Fortunately it's only a couple of drops usually, unfortunately it's a reasonably time consuming job to replace them.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”