2002 Goldwing hasn't been run in over 10 years.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Davek80514
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

2002 Goldwing hasn't been run in over 10 years.

Postby Davek80514 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 am

A girl my wife works with a girl who lost her Father. Her Mother now has a 2002 Goldwing that belonged to her husband who passed. Wing hasn't been started in over 10 years. Is there a way to pre-lube the motor so it is not turned over dry? I want to try and help them get the bike running so they can sell it. I own a 1500 and know nothing about the 1800's.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Dave in Colo.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 2002 Goldwing hasn't been run in over 10 years.

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 pm

I don't know about 1800's specifically, but you can turn most motorcycle engines over with the starter, with the kill switch in the OFF position, so that the engine will rotate without starting in order to build oil pressure without starting. I don't know if there's any other way... I have done it with older bike before.. crank until the oil light goes out, then position the kill switch to "RUN" and then start the engine to ensure there's some prelubrication before starting. You may want to drain the crankcase and refill it first time you try to start it too... there may be milky oil or sludge in the engine case now.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Postby cihilb » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:54 pm

On the 1800, hold the throttle wide open while cranking. The fuel injected engine will not start with the throttle at max. Crank for a few seconds at a time and wait until the oil pressure light goes out.
I would drain and refill the oil, and change the filter each time before doing this. It may cost you a little for the extra oil, but a lot less expensive than a blown engine.
Also, take the bike for a few short rides and change it again, don't over rev the engine or put any hard loads on the engine. Some frequent oil changes wouldn't hurt either. Lot's of gunk probably laying in the bottom of the engine.

Make sure you check the tires for dry rot, and make sure the brakes are operational.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 pm

cihilb wrote:On the 1800, hold the throttle wide open while cranking. The fuel injected engine will not start with the throttle at max. Crank for a few seconds at a time and wait until the oil pressure light goes out.
I would drain and refill the oil, and change the filter each time before doing this. It may cost you a little for the extra oil, but a lot less expensive than a blown engine.
Also, take the bike for a few short rides and change it again, don't over rev the engine or put any hard loads on the engine. Some frequent oil changes wouldn't hurt either. Lot's of gunk probably laying in the bottom of the engine.

Make sure you check the tires for dry rot, and make sure the brakes are operational.

Correct. The GL1800 won't crank if the kill switch is turned off, however it has a "clear flooded engine" mode as mentioned that will crank the engine without firing spark plugs (and without injecting fuel) if you crank it with the throttle wide open.

I would change the oil and filter BEFORE doing this. You don't want oil that's been sitting in the sump for ten years being circulated throughout the engine.

Also drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh gas. Ten year old fuel is not going to run that bike very well, if at all. You might need to clean the tank if it was not fully filled, it's possible it has rusted inside.

Drain, flush and refill the coolant - again, before attempting to start it - and flush both brake and clutch fluids.

Lastly, the tires it has on it are not safe for riding. Do not attempt to ride it until new tires have been installed.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:53 am

I wouldnt worry too much about a rusted gas tank as the tank is all plastic so you wont have that issue. But draining it will be fun because there is no petcock or fuel line to easily disconnect because of the fuel injection. I would run about 6 ounces of seafoam with the fresh gas to help loosen any deposits in the fuel system. Also I would check the clutch and brake reservoirs to see how bad they are from sitting. With the amount of time shes sat theyre due to be changed also.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:43 pm

You could slip a tube down the filler neck and siphon out as much gas as you can - that's the method I used on my GL1500.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Use to pre lube engines with a one gallon garden sprayer. We would take out the oil pressure sender, add a threaded pipe in the sender hole, unscrew the tip on the sprayer, run a hose over the sprayer pipe to the oil pressure pipe, pressure up and squeeze the handle. Knowing it would lube most or all of the internals. I have never been around a 1800, only maybe it could be applied to this engine. If this is not feasible, do like everyone says here so far about the oil. I might add a tsp. of oil to each cylinder, and crank over with the plugs out while going for oil pressure. Lets us know..
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

collinsa
Motorcycle: 2004 Gl1800

Postby collinsa » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 am

Remove the centre panel on the front cover of the engine and use a socket to rotate the engine by hand
As the bike has not been run for so long I would remove the spark plugs to make this easier.

Change the
oil, filter, brake and clutch fluid, fuel in the tank and have a good look at the coolant.

It would also be a very good idea to open up the air filter to make sure rodents etc have not made a nest as there is no screening on the air intakes to keep them out

Only once all this is done would I attempt to start the engine

collinsa
Motorcycle: 2004 Gl1800

Postby collinsa » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:26 am

Forgot to say I would be selling the 1500 and keeping that 1800

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”