2015 40th Anniversary GL1800A

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
birddog
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800A

2015 40th Anniversary GL1800A

Postby birddog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi folks. I am a Goldwing newbie now, although not my first motorcycle. I have wanted a Goldwing since the early 1990's and for one reason after another I haven't been able to get one until now. I retired and decided it was time to reward myself so I went and did it. The fist thing I did was look online to see what colors were available and much to my surprise I learned it was an anniversary year. Since it was very early October 2014 I called all the local dealers and they all told me the same thing. The bikes wouldn't hit the showroom floors until November and the level 3 (ABS) that I wanted probably wouldn't arrive until Christmas. I kept in touch with the salesman and he called me with a ship date of December 8th so I made a deposit to hold the first ABS that arrived and I took delivery on December 12th 2014. Since then, I have been having fun tearing it apart. I want to get all the mods done now so I can just look at it in the garage when I want and take it for rides as much as I can.

Mods to date:
1) CB with antenna kit
2) painted LED spoiler
3) Cobra 6 to 6 black exhaust (all but two baffles removed)
4) HID lo beam headlamps (6000kel)
5) LED high beam headlamps 80watt
6) clear front turn signal lens swap
7) switch back front turn signals (white/amber flashing with white running lights)
8) full LED bulb swap in the rear
9) LED flashing load equalizer relay swap
10) Tech-Connect handlebar device mount
11) Kuryakyn LED driving lamps (fog housing) with dash switch
12) Kuryakyn rear led lighting (vertical and tip)
13) BackOff pulsating brake modulator
13) Black Goldwing helmet extenders
14) Low beam cut off harness (for HID headlights)
15) Battery Tender battery harness installed
16) Seat heater amplifier harness
17) black powder coated belly pan
18) Kuryakyn black heated grips with weighted bar ends
19) Muth LED turn signal blue mirror replacements
20) Honda carry bags for storage compartments
21) Carpeted storage mats
22) 2 Honda helmet communication kits in Scorpion 3/4 helmets
23) trunk storage organizer net
24) DC power outlet in storage compartment

I think that's good for now. Nice to meet you all and thanks for all the time you spent logging your mods. I was able to learn a lot and do a lot because of all your contributions!
Attachments
front lighting
front lighting
blue Muth LED turn signal mirrors
blue Muth LED turn signal mirrors
with LED lights on
with LED lights on

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: 2015 40th Anniversary GL1800A

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Lovely looking bike, sounds like you will have a great retirement, but at the rate you are spending money on your wing you might be broke soon!! :lol:

Welcome to the club and be sure to post pics of your travels (Once the weather turns nice!!).

Gary

birddog

Postby birddog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Gary the weather is nice now. I live in West Palm Beach, Florida. It's the summers that kill us here. lmao. I was just outside thinking it's perfect for a ride because it's 73 with a cool dry breeze. I put over 1,000 miles on her in the first 2 weeks. The very first weekend I put her in the toy hauler and towed her up to north Florida and rode around the St Johns river and back up the coast to Jacksonville.

Thanks for the compliment on the bike. This is what my exhaust sounds like. Sorry for the bad video, it was taken with the cell phone.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Welcome to the Wing world! I too joined a bit late but dreamt of it for decades. Widowed and empty nesting now I joined almost 3 years ago though I'm not retired yet I've wrung out 40k miles and always looking forward to the next long ride. I hope you enjoy it as much as I (we) do. Sounds like the only thing missing might be MP3, Sat Radio and a GPS (you might find all 3 in one) but you do have a long list of nice upgrades and you timed it right, gas is no longer a luxury item! Enjoy
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

birddog

Postby birddog » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 pm

PastoT wrote:Welcome to the Wing world! I too joined a bit late but dreamt of it for decades. Widowed and empty nesting now I joined almost 3 years ago though I'm not retired yet I've wrung out 40k miles and always looking forward to the next long ride. I hope you enjoy it as much as I (we) do. Sounds like the only thing missing might be MP3, Sat Radio and a GPS (you might find all 3 in one) but you do have a long list of nice upgrades and you timed it right, gas is no longer a luxury item! Enjoy

Done! Actually, I bought the level 3 which already now comes with a USB connector to play mp3 files and more and because it has the audio comfort package I have GPS built right into the dash. The only thing that is not on the list is a harness that I just can't see spending the money on. When I turn the ignition key to ON, the bike loads a ton of software and there is a safety message that comes up that you have to hit "enter" button for before you drive with the GPS. This harness hit enter for you automatically but it costs $129. I just can't justify that much to hit a button that I can do myself.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”