What's it for?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

What's it for?

Postby crock4 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 pm

I have a 2001 GL 1800. While laying down cleaning the rear wheel I noticed on the bottom of the pumpkin, (for lack of a better word), what looks like a grease fitting. Does anyone know if that is what it is, and what it is for. I tried to find it in the manual, but could not.

Thanks, Bob

Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: What's it for?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 pm

You're talking about this:

Final drive nipple
Final drive nipple

And the answer is: I have no idea. It's not mentioned in any service manual, shown in any parts diagram, its presence is completely ignored even in the part of the manual that details the stripping and rebuilding of the final drive.

crock4
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you for the reply. When I saw it I was tempted to try to put some grease in it thinking it had been neglected in my maintenance regimen. It makes me nervous when I see things like that. At first I thought it was some kind of lubrication point for the rear end, but figured the oil bath should take care of that.
I feel less nervous now, but would still like to know what, if anything it is for.

Thanks again WingAdmin, Also thanks for the pictures from the Cleveland show.

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Can't tell anything from the small picture but will take a guess. More than a few sensors will read off the ring gear if that is where the thing or cavity in question is pointing.

A sensor could possibly go there for anti-lock brakes or traction control if the 1800 has that?
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 pm

10 to 1 bet it is a drain. It does not have a shape that a wrench could fit, does not have a rounded ball configuration like a zerk (grease fitting) is hollowed out going up into the drive casing, and has no small ball blocking the exit of whatever possibly comes out of it. I would bet it is to drain off any moisture/water that is thrown into the area by riding on a wet highway. Oh, by the way, it is not named or labeled in a parts breakdown manual either. It is simply shown as a small protrusion from the bottom of the drive casing.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:17 pm

I was looking at the thing pointing up where the 10mm is written, sorry.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

crock4
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:28 pm

themainviking wrote:10 to 1 bet it is a drain. It does not have a shape that a wrench could fit, does not have a rounded ball configuration like a zerk (grease fitting) is hollowed out going up into the drive casing, and has no small ball blocking the exit of whatever possibly comes out of it. I would bet it is to drain off any moisture/water that is thrown into the area by riding on a wet highway. Oh, by the way, it is not named or labeled in a parts breakdown manual either. It is simply shown as a small protrusion from the bottom of the drive casing.

The best theory I've heard yet. Thanks for the input mainviking.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:35 pm

themainviking wrote:10 to 1 bet it is a drain. It does not have a shape that a wrench could fit, does not have a rounded ball configuration like a zerk (grease fitting) is hollowed out going up into the drive casing, and has no small ball blocking the exit of whatever possibly comes out of it. I would bet it is to drain off any moisture/water that is thrown into the area by riding on a wet highway. Oh, by the way, it is not named or labeled in a parts breakdown manual either. It is simply shown as a small protrusion from the bottom of the drive casing.

Pretty sure you're on the right track as a "drain", but it probably doubles as a vent to keep internal pressures equal to outside when things start to heat up at highway speeds, and it's pointed downward to drain.
Most car diff's have a vent tube as well....
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Steve F wrote:

Pretty sure you're on the right track as a "drain", but it probably doubles as a vent to keep internal pressures equal to outside when things start to heat up at highway speeds, and it's pointed downward to drain.
Most car diff's have a vent tube as well....

I don't think so. The final drive drain is on the side (at the bottom) and it already has a vent, at the top.

I suspect it's an access hole used during manufacturing that is closed up and never touched again. My guess.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”