Wiring issue?...

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Transplantedpatriot
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 and 1988 GL1500

Wiring issue?...

Postby Transplantedpatriot » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

My 2005 GL1800 has no headset mic or audio. I have ruled out the helmets and extensions as well as any volume or muting issues. I'm down to wiring and the audio panel itself. A friend on this forum sent me the circuit schematics for it and I have rang out both the front and rear headset wiring all the way to the last 6 pin connector on each and they are good. My question is the wiring from the 6 pin to the 5 pin DIN where the helmet and extension plug into. The ETM doesn't show it. I want to be sure they are right before I go and purchase a new audio panel. Does anyone know wher to find a schematic for the 5 pin to the 6 pin??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wiring issue?...

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Transplantedpatriot wrote:My 2005 GL1800 has no headset mic or audio. I have ruled out the helmets and extensions as well as any volume or muting issues. I'm down to wiring and the audio panel itself. A friend on this forum sent me the circuit schematics for it and I have rang out both the front and rear headset wiring all the way to the last 6 pin connector on each and they are good. My question is the wiring from the 6 pin to the 5 pin DIN where the helmet and extension plug into. The ETM doesn't show it. I want to be sure they are right before I go and purchase a new audio panel. Does anyone know wher to find a schematic for the 5 pin to the 6 pin??

Sure thing, you'll find it right here: viewtopic.php?t=8524

Transplantedpatriot

Postby Transplantedpatriot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks a lot. That's just what I needed.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

If you haven't found the issue yet, I'd recent maintenance done on your bike. I'm guessing this a new-to-you GL1800? I've had incomplete radio functions after an air filter change which involves pulling the shelter off and disconnecting the radio from its harness. When I put everything back together I hadn't fully seated the harness back into the radio. It was almost all the way inserted but we know "almost" only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. I loosened and eased the shelter up and sure enough the plug felt a bit cockeyed, when I pressed on it ever so slightly I heard the a clip snap into place and secure the loose side. I powered the bike before I closed everything up and this time everything worked as it should. Note to self was "look, listen and feel" for connectors when reassembling. Perhaps there was some last minute maintenance by the previous owner (PO) that left your radio harness loose! My indicator was dead radio buttons on the left switch pod.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Transplantedpatriot

Postby Transplantedpatriot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks Tom . I had everything apart and just plugged the radio in. No luck. All the wiring to the headsets was good so I assume it's a circuit issue in the radio. It has been sent back east to Panasonic to go through it and fix the issue. They said Honda doesn't repair them anymore and that it would be sent to the manufacturer ie. Panasonic. $200 to go through it and fix the problem . Not bad but definitely cheaper than purchasing a new one. Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when I'm reassembling everything.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Ouch... $200! I hope they indeed find something and everything works again for you. I'm really unsure if my wing runs without a radio, so if mine ever quits I may discover myself stuck along the road singing. :lol: If I'd thought you'd have to go to this extreme I would have turned you on to Larry M at WingConnect. For about the same he removes the microphonics issue of the intercom circuit and upgrades the AMP. I'm hoping to park mine for a week or so to have his black magic incorporated to my wing as the intercom noise is just too annoying for me. He does say his upgrades are not required on some later model radios. Best wishes for a speedy return to riding
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Transplantedpatriot

Postby Transplantedpatriot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Mine does run without the radio. Lol! I couldn't go two weeks without riding so I put everything back together, minus the radio.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”