Radio's are not working

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Dave70
Motorcycle: 2 'Wings, 1-Valkyrie, 2-H-D

Radio's are not working

Postby Dave70 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 pm

2012 Goldwing: Problem started with cb stuck in TX. Once in receive the cb radio controls didn't work: no channel, squelch etc controls. AM/FM radio couldn't change volume, channel, AMB or tuning. Possible solutions: cleaned switches by squirting CRC electrical cleaner into switches and working them, no change; next disconnected battery and left it off for 30 Minutes, the result there was that neither radio would turn on; checked the voltage on both sides of the fuses in the fuse panel, all were good. Bike is not left out in the weather.
ANY IDEAS?

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Radio's are not working

Postby PastoT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Two offerings for thought. First, had you worked under the shelter prior to this? If so is the Radio connector fully seated. My left pod radio buttons failed me after racing to finish an air filter change and the radio connector was not fully seated to the radio. I haven't a CB installed but your issue has similar issues as mine did. It vibrated just loose enough to show itself with a day after the air filter change.

Second thought is from another forum, but a member had purchased a new to him 1800 with a mic-mute & remote PTT stuffed under the seat and was randomly being triggered.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Dave Crook
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
1995 Aspencade (sold)
1982 Aspencade - Long Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Dave Crook » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Thanks guys, your posts helped me resolve a similar problem with my CB (stuck in Transmit when turned on) that I have been scratching my head over for a couple weeks following an air filter change. Disconnecting the battery finally did the trick but I would have bet money it was rear PTTB I had stowed under the seat!

I think disconnecting/reconnecting the battery should be the first course of action on all newer vehicles when they start doing weird things!

Thanks again, my ride today to the New River Gorge Bridge in WV with my buddy was much more enjoyable since we could communicate again! :D

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Stuck buttons are something we live with and struggle to avoid, but sooner or later it happens. Work them every ride and spray lube/cleaner is handy from time to time. The Radio reset is something that fixes a lot if you have an ailing battery or an MP3 player hooked to the CD player connection. Just a craniums up... don't press ADL/RDM on the radio if you have an MP3 player hooked to the CD connection - it locks the radio up requiring a reset normally! Glad all is working again. Wish I had a CB to trouble me (some time soon though).

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”