Wiring Connectors

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ryanagray2003
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Wiring Connectors

Postby ryanagray2003 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi All,

My first post on the forum,

I am fitting lots of chrome parts to my dads Gl1800 2007/8 and I'm in need of some harness adapters.

The bike has lots of orange 2 pin and blue 3 pin through connectors.

Does anyone know if these connectors can be bought anywhere so i can make some power take offs for the led's

download/file.php?mode=view&id=18998

Cheers
Attachments

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Wiring Connectors

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:32 pm

That looks like a aftermarket dedicated pigtail, probably show chrome, they use those. You can buy them, do not know about US but they are 15 quid a pair here, needless to say I pass on such goodies. Kury etc supply twin pigtails with their chrome LED products that allow piggybacking, if you are looking at doing your own.
Make your own Honda 2 pin/3pin pigtails using these, I solder the wire to the pins before I crimp

I make my own splitters, you can get loads for a few quid, such as.

The 1800 charging system will easily handle a fair amount of LED lighting, I have a fair few on the trike and trailer.

I also fit a fair few prior to light parades, including about 20m RGB strip, two sound to light controllers etc. I have three marine aux sockets on the trike, one is a charging socket. I just plug in my splitters and plug in my light parade stuff. Some are operated by two handlebar res triple switch banks

There are many ways to do this, such as the Honda spare under the top box lid cover etc, do you plant to light it up or add a few LED's.

Welcome.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Check out McMaster & Carr website. They have everything and they are a quality outfit. Look under the electrical connector area.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Electrical Connection sells the Hitachi 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 pin connectors and the crimping tool.

http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_59 Connectors

http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=73 Crimpers
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Great info Mike, Thanks!
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:04 am

I wound up doing what Big Blue UK has done. Its funny because I have the exact same connectors also. I used the 3 plug connectors to build sub harnesses with the small connectors to connect all of the lights. The 3 plug connector is used to plug into the Honda harness for power,at least on my trike.Then basically make it all standard and make it so if you have a set go bad you can unplug them and easily replace them. The 3 wire connectors can be had from Cyclemax and you get 10 male and female connectors with pins for $10.00. I would leave a link but for some odd reason this morning the connection is timing out so I cant connect. The little red 2 pin connectors can be had at a hobby shop that carries radio control accessories as these are the type used for servos on cars and airplanes.

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Postby M61A1MECH » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Here is a good place for motorcycle electrical parts, I use them a lot for harnesses I make for Yamahas.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

ryanagray2003
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Postby ryanagray2003 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:17 am

The bike is European so does not have the running lights like the American model,

The blue connector is standard and is used on all the back light connections and the indicators.

I was hoping someone knew the name of the connector so I can but them.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:06 am

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec_ ... ctors.html
Give this gentleman a try. You'll have better luck for what you're looking for.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 pm

ryanagray2003 wrote:The bike is European so does not have the running lights like the American model.

Ah, 33 years on GoldWings and every one has been a US import. If I was going to have a new GoldWing triked, I would rather go to America, and return with a beauty.
I think they are these
Appleyards may have some left at 16 quid for two, HGB in London may sell them, I know where they are in stock in the UK for about 25 - 30 quid for a pair, and in the US for 15 quid a pair. Give then a ring.

But they are all from Big Bike Parts (Show Chrome), and all they allow you to do is allow you to plug in one of these connectors,
So you will still need these connectors to connect your LED's to it.
Honda do not make accessory connectors, if it is the new style harness connector.
Why can you not just cut it off, happily chuck it in the bin, and wire you own connector that fits whatever you are using on your LED's for about 10p.

So do the front indicators not also work as running lights as well on the European model,

If you just want wiring advice over the phone, PM me for my number.
Attachments

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”