"How to" for adjusting preload?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Afterburner
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800

"How to" for adjusting preload?

Postby Afterburner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 am

2013 GL1800. I press the preload button and nothing happens. I did this on the center stand with the bike turned on. Nothing. I read the manual. I read it again. I pressed more buttons. Still no joy. Is there a trick?

Ideas?

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: "How to" for adjusting preload?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:56 pm

You won't see anything happen on the center stand as the adjustment is a hydraulic spring preload.When on the center stand the shock is already fully extended.You might see a slight rise in height if you do it on the sidestand.It's a very slight difference in height form 0 to 25 on the guage because of the rear suspension geometry.The bike just won't bottom out as easy.These are not like the previous Wings with air shocks that would jump the back end of the bike up a couple of inches.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Afterburner wrote:2013 GL1800. I press the preload button and nothing happens. I did this on the center stand with the bike turned on. Nothing. I read the manual. I read it again. I pressed more buttons. Still no joy. Is there a trick?

Ideas?
Are you hearing the pump motor running when you press the button up or down (engine not running and key turned on, rear wheel on the ground trans in Neutral)? Is the readout changing it's value while doing this?
If no, or no, then your pump is not working or the circuit is dead. However, if you hear the pump running, do you notice any change in the pump sound, in other words, does the pump motor sound like it's running fast and then sound like it's coming under load when raising the pressure from zero at any point?
You may need to purge any air and top off the hydraulic oil in the system if there is any change in the way the motor sounds. It's a relatively simple procedure, (even I did it).
If you determine this is necessary, I can point you to a link where the directions are spelled out.
Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

I have a 2002 and one important thing is the engine must be running, and in neutral at 0 mph; I didn't note any mention of the engine running but that may be different in later models. It is hard to hear, but the compressor motor will sound loaded down when it actually starts pressuring the shock if off the center stand and you start at 0 and try to increase the preload. Unless you've topped of the hydraulic cylinder most report the loading up being heard between 5 and 10 on the display. It is not at all uncommon to have no reaction at all until your preload value exceeds 10, some are just that lacking in fluid from the factory. That sound of the motor loading up is your indicator that it is working; but I agree with Fatwing in that you will only notice a slight raising of the back end.

BTW, I usually do not put mine on its center stand for adjusting pre-load (you can't judge the preload if your not loading the back end to begin with). I've also topped off my preload hydraulics so it adjusts immediately starting from 0. If you hear nothing from the preload compressor motor I'd check fuses and the connector at the motor (behind the upper forward corner of your right saddle bag).

Tom
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Within this link you'll find the step-by-step from a very knowledgeable Goldwing mechanic. :!:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... uator-fill

Here's the text I copied and pasted:
To refill the actuator.

1) Place the bike on center stand.
2) Turn the ignition key to Accessory and lower your presets to "0'.
3) Remove the seat and side covers.
4) Remove the rear fender.
5) Remove the three bolts inside the right saddlebag.
6) Remove the bolt on the outside upper right of the saddlebag to the frame.
7) Now tilt out the bottom of the saddlebag and let it rest there-You do not have to disconnect anything further!
8 ) Now remove the 2-12mm & 1-10mm bolts from the Actuator securing it to the frame.
9) Now with a pair of needle nosed pliers-squeeze the push in cable holder for the Grey connector.
10) Now you can remove the other connector from the Actuator.
11) Now using brake clean, Spray the area at the banjo bolt/hose so it is clean-You'll be making marks on it there!.
12) Now with a sharpie-make a dot on the top of the banjo "Fitting". So you'll know which end is up later on!.
13) Now make a small line right under the dot you just made to the actuator body. What you are doing here is marking the Orientation of the banjo fitting to the actuator body!. Making Sure you put it back in the same place-this is Important so the hose doesn't get kinked when the actuator is bolted back on the frame later!!.
14) Now you can remove the 10mm banjo bolt from the hose.
15) Either with a helper or duct/masking tape-try and keep that end of the hose as high as you can so fluid doesn't drain out of it while you continue to the next step.(I run the tape up from the hose to the truck if working by myself!)This keeps the hose out of my way for the time being.
16) Now with a thin screwdriver, Insert it into the banjo bolt hole in the actuator, and push the seal piston down with a little pressure until it bottoms out. If you feel or hear it move?. Then try to push it down again until it stays down!. You're trying to fill as much of the actuator reservoir as possible here!.
17) Now you are ready to refill the actuator.it only takes a couple ounces to top it off.
18 ) Once you have it topped off, Now replace the hose according to the marks you made earlier.
19) Now before you bolt it back on-"Test it first"
20) Plug both connectors back in the actuator, an start the bike.
21) Listen for a "Sound" pitch change as you add presets. Once you hear it change sound-Let the button go, and look at the dash-If it's at "0" then you are done, If it at 1 or more. repeat the last steps to add a tad more fluid.

Your goal is to hear a sound change at 0-1

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 pm

What fluid are you using to fill the reservoir, it doesn't say in the above post. I would think it is important to know.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:07 pm

MikeB wrote:What fluid are you using to fill the reservoir, it doesn't say in the above post. I would think it is important to know.
I used hydraulic jack oil, found at most auto parts stores, you'll have to buy at least a quart, I've not seen a smaller bottle of the stuff.

Afterburner
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800

Postby Afterburner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Joy! Bike off center stand, ignition on, in neutral and preload adjust works just fine. Previously, I had it off the center stand but it was still in gear. I believe "in neutral" was key for me to get it to work. Heard the pump and everything. Thanks guys!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”