03 1800 no power after replacing starter??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
panmike
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing

03 1800 no power after replacing starter??

Postby panmike » Sun May 03, 2015 9:24 pm

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I need to walk away from the bike for now, so I don't lose my good humor. I just bought the bike recently. It had been sitting for a while. It only has 8800 miles on it. Ran fine when it would start. Turned out I had a bad starter. It was clearly fried. I ordered a new starter and installed it. After putting the bike back together it does nothing when the key is turned on. I have ohmed out all the fuses and checked all of the connectors I have taken off to get the starter replaced. All are good. I also checked the ignition switch. It checks out fine. Any thoughts on what else to check? The battery is good. When I hook power directly to the starter, the motor turns over just fine. Just looking for some ideas. I have yet to ride this bike.
TIA,

Mike

timdiver64
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100a

Re: 03 1800 no power after replacing starter??

Postby timdiver64 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Been there done that. My harness was fried let's hope yours is easier. I would start by jumping across the main terminals on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers. If this does not turn it over get yourself a good wiring diagram and go after the starter button and kill switch. By the way, short circuit testers are not very expensive.

panmike
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing

Re: 03 1800 no power after replacing starter??

Postby panmike » Sun May 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. I found the issue. A loose ground wire. Factory troubleshooting manual was very helpful. I am amazed at the difficulty accessing the parts needed to resolve issues. Very time consuming and not for the timid. All is good now!

~ Mike

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”