No brake light from brake pedal


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
jsw005355
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

No brake light from brake pedal

Postby jsw005355 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 am



Greetings,
New to the forum as a recent Goldwing owner! Love the forum. I am hoping for some advice on the brake pedal switch/relay.
When using handbrake , lights work. When using brake pedal, no lights. But the weird thing is if I hold the handbreak, then press the foot brake, then release the hand brake the lights stay on until I release the foot brake!
Are there 2 seperate relays under the seat or is it combined? And is there a switch I can check somewhere near the pedal?

I apologize, I am new the wing and don't really know where some things are. And don't really want to take it "in" if its something as simple as a relay.
Thanks for any input.

2001 GL1800



User avatar
Steve F
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: suburban Chicago
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby Steve F » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 am

My theory is that you have a weak contact on the foot lever switch, and it's not good enough to pull in the relay, but good enough to hold the relay after the hand lever activates the relay.
Replace the foot lever switch.
While you're at it, make sure that the cruise control activates and then deactivates properly when you tap the foot brake.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

User avatar
jsw005355
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby jsw005355 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks Steve for the quick reply. Would you happen to know the location of the switches? Under the seat? Behind sidecovers?
I think I need to get a Clymer manual...... :x

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

jsw005355 wrote:Thanks Steve for the quick reply. Would you happen to know the location of the switches? Under the seat? Behind sidecovers?
I think I need to get a Clymer manual...... :x


It's immediately in front of the rear master cylinder:

Rear Brake Switch
Rear Brake Switch


Oh, and you'd be far better off with the Honda service manual over the Clymer manual.

User avatar
jsw005355
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby jsw005355 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Very helpful. Thank you!

User avatar
jsw005355
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby jsw005355 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks again Steve and WingAdmin!

The exploded view of the rear brake system helped greatly. I was able to locate the switch housing.
I blew out the gunk with some air, soaked the contact switches with some DeOxit contact cleaner, worked the tiny button manually a bunch of times and low and behold, brake lights and cruise kill!

Y'all saved me a bunch of "bring it in" money!
Thanks again

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 am

jsw005355 wrote:Thanks again Steve and WingAdmin!

The exploded view of the rear brake system helped greatly. I was able to locate the switch housing.
I blew out the gunk with some air, soaked the contact switches with some DeOxit contact cleaner, worked the tiny button manually a bunch of times and low and behold, brake lights and cruise kill!

Y'all saved me a bunch of "bring it in" money!
Thanks again


That DeOxit contact cleaner works like magic, it's a shame it's so expensive...

User avatar
Steve F
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: suburban Chicago
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby Steve F » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 am

WingAdmin wrote:
jsw005355 wrote:Thanks again Steve and WingAdmin!

The exploded view of the rear brake system helped greatly. I was able to locate the switch housing.
I blew out the gunk with some air, soaked the contact switches with some DeOxit contact cleaner, worked the tiny button manually a bunch of times and low and behold, brake lights and cruise kill!

Y'all saved me a bunch of "bring it in" money!
Thanks again


That DeOxit contact cleaner works like magic, it's a shame it's so expensive...

Where can you get it? I've never heard of it, but woyuld like to try sometime.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Steve F wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
jsw005355 wrote:Thanks again Steve and WingAdmin!

The exploded view of the rear brake system helped greatly. I was able to locate the switch housing.
I blew out the gunk with some air, soaked the contact switches with some DeOxit contact cleaner, worked the tiny button manually a bunch of times and low and behold, brake lights and cruise kill!

Y'all saved me a bunch of "bring it in" money!
Thanks again


That DeOxit contact cleaner works like magic, it's a shame it's so expensive...

Where can you get it? I've never heard of it, but woyuld like to try sometime.


You can get it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ingdocs-20

User avatar
jsw005355
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Re: No brake light from brake pedal

Postby jsw005355 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Amazon has it.
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-Deoxit ... ingdocs-20

Stuff is great. Not like a WD40. Designed for musical instrument contacts, I have used it on anything that needs a clean contact. Read the description and you'll be sold!




Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest