Longer kickstand

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Longer kickstand

Postby dtrider » Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 pm

I recently replaced my tires, and for the rear I went with a 180/70 instead of the stock 180/60. For the most part I love how it feels. However, one thing that I have noticed is that the bike feels unstable when when it's on the kickstand. It seems like it's leaning over more to the left and almost wants to tip over. Any suggestions on either a source for a longer kickstand or a way to extend the stock kickstand?

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Longer kickstand

Postby RoadRogue » Fri May 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Yor bike now sits .708 inches higher than it did with the stock sized tire. My suggestion ,and its a cheap one too, is to cut yourself a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of 5/8" plywood and throw it down for the kick stand to rest on. If you attach a piece of elastic to it you dont even have to bend over to pick it up. Just loop the free end over your left hand grip and yank it up when you lift the bike off the kickstand. Drop it in your pocket and away you go..... added bonus is the kickstand will not sink into the pavement on a hot day 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat May 16, 2015 6:17 am

Bicycles and dirt bikes have "kickstands" . HD have "jiffystands" and Goldwings have sidestands and centerstands. Everyone knows this...

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 am

OK, it's a side stand you kick down.

At the bottom there's a notch where you can pinch bolt on an extension. may need to make it, aftermarkets are pricy. Check space and clearances in UP position.
That notch is there for a rubber extension.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sat May 16, 2015 5:40 pm

FM-USA wrote:At the bottom there's a notch where you can pinch bolt on an extension. may need to make it, aftermarkets are pricy. Check space and clearances in UP position.

Since they are listing the 'Side Stand' as an obsolete part, I'm guessing that drawing is for an older bike? My 2012 doesn't have the notch. Instead it just has a little nub that sticks up. Still, I could probably take a grinder and cut a notch myself and then add an extension as you mention. I could use a hunk of composite wood to make the extension or maybe go get a hunk of aluminum and drill/tap a bolt hole to attach it to the notch. Might be a bit of work, but if I can't find a longer "side stand" on the market, I would prefer that instead of having to carry a chunk with me that I would have to drop and kick into place all the time. If I'm building my own, I could even look at making the foot a little bigger to allow for the hot pavement that RoadRogue mentions (if I can do it so that the stand can still be retracted).

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm

dtrider wrote:
FM-USA wrote:At the bottom there's a notch where you can pinch bolt on an extension. may need to make it, aftermarkets are pricy. Check space and clearances in UP position.

Since they are listing the 'Side Stand' as an obsolete part, I'm guessing that drawing is for an older bike? My 2012 doesn't have the notch. Instead it just has a little nub that sticks up. Still, I could probably take a grinder and cut a notch myself and then add an extension as you mention. I could use a hunk of composite wood to make the extension or maybe go get a hunk of aluminum and drill/tap a bolt hole to attach it to the notch. Might be a bit of work, but if I can't find a longer "side stand" on the market, I would prefer that instead of having to carry a chunk with me that I would have to drop and kick into place all the time. If I'm building my own, I could even look at making the foot a little bigger to allow for the hot pavement that RoadRogue mentions (if I can do it so that the stand can still be retracted).

NO NO noooo, take the simpler and maybe exotic step.
I didn't realize you have the 1800. My fault for skim reading and not looking at your curvy Avatar.

Remove your side stand OR lay it over on it's side and drill from the bottom and tap threads. Countersink a machine screw (or 2) in any plate material you want. Then shape it like a Platform Shoe / High Heal. Teardrop, heart, egg, Lazar etch a mountain scene or engrave your name around the sides?
IF there's no room for the extra heal, maybe a hinge so it swings down in the up position? Again, I don't know the side stand space. Also, does it have to retract 100% up or can it hang down a bit? Side stand switch? SHEEEeeeesh the stuff to look for.

THEN, if you like what you have maybe epoxy in place so it's at one with your steed. It can always be knocked/ground off later.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:54 pm

You could always kill two birds starting with something like this from wingstuff
http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-black-anodized-sidestand-pad?context=kickstands_ride_offs

It attaches to the bottom of your current sidestand and you could attach a thicker plate to the bottom of it.

That way, you could have both a longer and wider sidestand.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm

NVSB4 wrote:You could always kill two birds starting with something like this from wingstuff
http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-black-anodized-sidestand-pad?context=kickstands_ride_offs

It attaches to the bottom of your current sidestand and you could attach a thicker plate to the bottom of it.

That way, you could have both a longer and wider sidestand.

At first I thought that would be a great idea. But I've got floorboards on my bike and it looks like that footpad would hit the bottom of the floorboard. I'm not sure that that will cause any issues though so I may go ahead and try it anyway. I don't think it will hurt anything if I have to take it off and I can always just bolt the extension plates that I'll make directly to the bottom of the regular sidestand footbad.

Scooby
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby Scooby » Mon May 18, 2015 8:23 am

I had this same symptom after doing suspension upgrades. I had a welding shop add onto the bottom of the "foot". This photo is not my stand but you get the idea.
Attachments
-- Mike

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Scooby wrote:I had this same symptom after doing suspension upgrades. I had a welding shop add onto the bottom of the "foot". This photo is not my stand but you get the idea.

Kinda looks like a Herman Munster accessory.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:25 am

I finally got around to getting this done. I got the sidestand pad that NVSB4 suggested and added an extension to that. Works great. The bike feels much more stable now when it is on the sidestand. The pad does hit the bottom of my floorboard when the sidestand is up, but it's not a big deal. The pad is also more likely to scrape in the corners, but again not a big deal. One design "flaw" of the original pad though - it holds on to the original sidestand pad with a set screw. The hole for that set screw is on the corner of the pad that is most likely to scrape. Probably won't really be an issue, but I think they could have had the set screw on the other side.

Since nothing is real without pictures, I took a few as I was making it.

I started with a block of 1/2" aluminum and used the pad as a template:

I then did a rough cut with an angle grinder and finished the shaping on a bench grinder. I used some JB Weld to glue the two pieces together and hit them with some black enamel:

The pad and extension just slip on to the OEM side stand and work great to stand the bike up a little straighter.

It does hit the bottom of my floorboard, but it's not really a problem.

Works great, and looks even more like Herman Munster's shoe. :D

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”