anti-dive valve

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bigrigger43
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800P

anti-dive valve

Postby bigrigger43 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 pm

I've heard and seen a lot about problems with the anti-dive valve on earlier 1800's but when I checked the one on my '06 it looks different. I haven't had any problems but I was just wondering if it's a different valve set up that eliminated the problem.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: anti-dive valve

Postby themainviking » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

I doubt it. My 2009 looks the same as earlier ones. I disabled mine and have not looked back. I do not think they have so much malfunctioning more than they do not work the greatest even when they are working. If you were to hit some washboard road, and put the brakes on, the anti dive does not release till all the bumps are past, and this causes an extremely harsh bumpy ride over the washboard. I found that railway tracks would do the same thing if there were more than one set. Personally, I just did not like how it operated, so I went for the kit to disable it, rather than the drilled nickel fix.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

People are still upgrading the front on brand new ones and disabling the ADV.They say not to disable it with the stock weak front springs as it will dive really bad on hard braking.New heavier springs give a better ride and don't require the ADV.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue May 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:People are still upgrading the front on brand new ones and disabling the ADV.They say not to disable it with the stock weak front springs as it will dive really bad on hard braking.New heavier springs give a better ride and don't require the ADV.

Hey Chris, I have read some of those posts too about not doing it on the stock springs. But I have read posts from others that actually kept the oem springs and had no problems. This was the case on my '08. I couldn't believe what I was missing. It was like day and night. I think my adv was pretty much stuck from day one and I didn't realize it.

bigrigger43
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800P

Postby bigrigger43 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've been on H D's since 1978 so maybe I don't even notice a stiff front end. I'll try the drilled nickel thing and see what it feels like. These 1800's are a whole different animal but, MAN, what a machine. Later.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:People are still upgrading the front on brand new ones and disabling the ADV.They say not to disable it with the stock weak front springs as it will dive really bad on hard braking.New heavier springs give a better ride and don't require the ADV.

Yeah, I never thought to mention that. I have aftermarket springs in the front of my bike, so I don't get very much play.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm

I have replaced my ADV as it locked up internally and I like it 85% of the time, but its maintenance must be followed - flushing and bleeding the brakes annually. I did the drilled nickel trick and really liked the ride but as others say it will dive a bit or worse with hard front braking, I didn't notice it as excessive. I flip that nickel occasionally wondering if I should disable the ADV again with my 80K springs, generally when I hit the washboard dirt roads nearby (rare but teeth jarring).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed May 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I wanted Monotubes,but it wasn't in the budget so I just installed heavier Progressive springs and disabled the ADV last year.I don't miss the ADV all.That along with a couple of mods to the back end at the same time.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”