Car Tire

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
tbruno
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Car Tire

Postby tbruno » Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 am

Hello, anybody from the Albany, New York running a car tire on their bike. If so what tire are you running. Can any body tell me which tire would be best for a 2010 gl1800. Thanks.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Car Tire

Postby Steve F » Wed May 27, 2015 6:33 am

Michelin Alpin Primacy ZP (Zero Pressure=run flat) 195/55-16 They're designated a "winter tire" and are a little hard to come by this time of year.
EDIT- I'm not from NY, but that shouldn't matter. 8-)
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:36 am

Buckle your seatbelt, bruno. It's gonna get rough.
A bunch of people who have even seen a ct on a bike are going to give you hundreds of reasons not to do it. And riders with thousands of miles on a ct will tell you why you should do it.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu May 28, 2015 9:33 am

I am one who has tried it-- I used the Car tire / double dark side combo on my GL1500 for 30,000 miles.
It suffered no ill affect from using the car tire, and I did get many miles on it - in fact I took it off and gave it to a friend who is now ruinning it on his 1500 and will likely get another 20K on it before it is used up.

The car tire debate is heated on both sides. There are good reasons to do it, and good reasons not to do it.
Those who say it can't be done are wrong. Those who say it shouldn't be done are partially wrong (individual riding styles will dictate the choice I believe). Those who say it will cancel your insurance are wrong. Those who say you will crash and burn are wrong. Those who say the bike will break are wrong.. You see the pattern..?

Here is my take on it after 30,000 MILES of trying it. MY OPINIONS after doing it.

It works ! BUT there are trade offs.

Positives -
Longevity (30K miles and counting) = cost savings --
Smooth ride - on the 1500 a radial rear tire was nice
Traction - in rain, and running on the flats absolutely - I never was completely comfortable in the hard corners however and while I COULD and DID scrape my pegs while running the Dragon Tail on a car tire I think it could've been better.

Negatives -
For 30,000 miles I never looked at the final drive and found it was close to being without proper lube (Moly60) when I did get in there . A false sense of security on maintenance caused by me being a bit lazy.

The bike drives like a truck - it pushes (think racing terms) into corners and you must drive the bike at all times -0 the car tire wants to stand UP and not hold the lean angle - you have to keep pressure on the handlebars to keep them going around a corner - unlike my experience on other bikes without car tires that you can kinda "set it ad forget it" as you go around a sweeper or tight corner.

The car tire will push you around a little on cracks, or uneven surfaces. The width and flat profile of the car tire seems to cause the bike to follow the low side of uneven surfaces. It can at times catch you unawares and steer you into a new direction by a few degrees - especially at low speeds (thing parking lots and traffic)

These are a few things that come to mind for me. As of right now I have motorcycle specific tires on ALL my bikes and they will remain that way as I prefer the way the bike handles and feels - especially in corners .

There is ample research and reporting on car tire use available on the internet if you search for it. Do the research and decide for yourself if it is worth it for YOU.

Best of luck and ride safe.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

NW Triker
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Motortrike (2007)

Postby NW Triker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:49 am

suvcw04
Were you using a car tire on your trike? By next season I'll need a new front and have thought about switching to a car tire for my Motortrike, since leaning into the curves isn't going to happen, I thought it might be a good switch with extended mileage.
Never let the Umpire make the decision on the third strike! :o

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

NW Triker wrote:suvcw04
Were you using a car tire on your trike? By next season I'll need a new front and have thought about switching to a car tire for my Motortrike, since leaning into the curves isn't going to happen, I thought it might be a good switch with extended mileage.

Front tire is a motorcycle rear tire mounted backwards running 41 lbs of air. I run 21 lbs in back left tire and 22 lbs in back right tire. Supposed to help reduce the "pull" to the right because of the crown on most roads> Does it REALLY help? Who knows? As long as you BELIEVE it helps, that's all that matters.

The front has a DISTINCT flat area in the middle, so I would think a car tire would work fine. I plan on looking for one when this tire wears out.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”