Would a navi update be useful for a trip to AK?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jaceon
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800

Would a navi update be useful for a trip to AK?

Postby jaceon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 am

Planning a trip to Alaska in a month on a 2008 GL1800. It still has the original V8 CF card for the navi system. Was wondering if it would be worth the $100 to update the CF card to the latest city navigator 2013.10? Would this version be of any benefit up in AK/Canada? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have know experience with anything other than my city navigator V8.00.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Would a navi update be useful for a trip to AK?

Postby harvey01 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:19 pm

I certainly doubt if there have been any big change in the roads in Alaska or the highways to get there.

However if your navi system does list things like gas stations, motels, campgrounds, and even Honda dealers, then it might be worth it for that information. But for the basic mapping I doubt there are that many changes.

Another thought, if you do the update for the trip--justification to do the update--then you are updated for any other trips you take or even just for use around home.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:03 pm

jaceon wrote:Planning a trip to Alaska in a month on a 2008 GL1800. It still has the original V8 CF card for the navi system. Was wondering if it would be worth the $100 to update the CF card to the latest city navigator 2013.10? Would this version be of any benefit up in AK/Canada? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have know experience with anything other than my city navigator V8.00.

One thing to remember is that your OEM maps are from 2006. If you want to update to 2012 maps, which is what the 2013.10 maps are, for $100, then realize that you will still be at least three years behind in map updates. If you were to start doing it yourself, you could get up to 2014, but the 2015 maps are now too large to fit on a CF card, so unless you carry two of them, you cannot get all of the USA and Canada on one card. A far better plan, albeit much more expensive would be to purchase a Garmin Zumo with Lifetime Map updates. I know I will never purchase another motorcycle or car with an OEM GPS unit made by Garmin. They are all far from user friendly, and Garmin intentionally obsoletes them as quickly as they can. The same goes for Magellan.

So, if it was me, I would obtain a version 4.6 firmware from someone here and then learn to build your own maps so you could get the most recent for your needs. All you need is a computer, and a CF card reader/writer. And of course, one or more 2GB CF cards which are the largest that are recognizeable by your unit.

Oh, and to answer your question directly... in my opinion, yes, a map update would be beneficial.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:21 pm

mainviking, In all fairness to Garmin, I think they built those GPS units to go in the Hondas to specifications created by Honda, so the blame probably should be on Honda and not Garmin.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

jaceon
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800

Postby jaceon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:37 pm

For say it's actually my Dad taking my mom on a trip up there, I'm just the research/installer/test driver =).

If it was up to me I would just get an external GPS as that OEM feels terribly outdated, but he insists on just using the OEM to reduce clutter since there's already a lot going on up front.

Anyways, I think I'll look into updating at least up to 2013.10. I do enjoy techy stuff so I might even look into manual updating even more recently sometime.

I haven't had time to play with the V8.00 much, but does anyone know if 2013.10 will show gas stations etc. up in Canada and AK?

I know a GPS I had in Costa Rica one time technically "worked" but only had like one road, and no info making it only useful to see about how far away from the ocean I was and what direction I was going. This has me a little apprehensive, so that's why I'm curious if the OEM GPS will be as detailed in Canada/AK as it is here in the lower 48.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Instead of spending the money on a GPS update I'd reccommend getting a copy of The Milepost, for the current year. This book lists every road in Alaska and north western Canada. It lists mileages, towns, where to find food, gas and hotels. It is updated every year with the latest info.
The paper version is about $25 and it is now available as an app for iPhone or Android. You won't be sorry you bought it.
Here's a link for info.
http://www.milepost.com/features/ipad_and_android_apps
Good luck and enjoy your trip

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:50 pm

If you want to use the newest maps use mapsource to delete the areas you don't need. I have the 2015.4 maps on a 4gb CF card. You can't install the whole 2015.4 or the newer 2016.1 because the navi is limited to about 2048 mb file size. typically I remove most of central America don't think I will ever be going there that allows me to have all of North America on one card. If you do go this way after installing your maps make sure to check the find
by address function. If the file size is just over 2051mb it will load and run but you will not be able to do a search by address. Also the POI function will
not work with anything but an official released mapset for the Goldwing.
Hopefully Garmin will release a firmware update to allow larger file sizes so we can load the whole mapset .

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 am

jinx wrote:If you want to use the newest maps use mapsource to delete the areas you don't need. I have the 2015.4 maps on a 4gb CF card. You can't install the whole 2015.4 or the newer 2016.1 because the navi is limited to about 2048 mb file size. typically I remove most of central America don't think I will ever be going there that allows me to have all of North America on one card. If you do go this way after installing your maps make sure to check the find
by address function. If the file size is just over 2051mb it will load and run but you will not be able to do a search by address. Also the POI function will
not work with anything but an official released mapset for the Goldwing.
Hopefully Garmin will release a firmware update to allow larger file sizes so we can load the whole mapset .

Jinx, you are using a 4GB CF card? I tried one and my unit would not accept it. Maybe try a different brand. What brand are you using? Right now I have USA on one CF card and Canada on another. If I cross the border, I switch them at next bike turn off/on. I can only put about a 1.8 Gig mapping file on each card. I do still have Central America though, on with Canada.

Thanks
Viking

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:15 am

Using a sandisk extreme III 30mb CF card. It has worked fine as long as the file size is no larger than about 2050 mb. If you install a mapset and it loads check the search by address. If it finds the address than you haven't reached the file size limit. The navi will load files over the 2050 mb but you can't do any searches. Also it maybe my imagination but with the larger card the route calculations seem to work faster.

This is with FW 4.7 on a 2006.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks Jinx. Gotta try one of those.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:11 pm

After thinking about it. Have you tried a smaller mapset on your 4 gb cf card ? Hate to see you spend money if you don't need to.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes, I tried all the way from 1.3 GB to 1.9 GB and the card just would not be recognized by the unit. I will try one of your suggested cards and see if it is recognized. It may be the unit. Mine is in a 2009 and it is a Canadian model, so who knows what Honda put in there.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:15 am

FYI I just installed the 2016.1 mapset in my Navi. I was able to install all maps of US and Canada. File size was 2121 mb. on a 4gb sandisk Extreme III.

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:58 am

My wing is '07, so I guess my OEM maps are "06. I live in Ontario and have travelled extensively using the Navi on board. I also have been up and down most areas on the east coast of the 'states using the same maps. So far I have been "Off Route" only a couple of times when on a newer road, and maybe once could not locate a destination by address or at least city. I do appreciate what's missing, the updates, the ability to plan trips, notification of hotels and gas stations - all on my Tom Tom in the car. However, it's a bike. We riders revel in getting lost and finding the best roads and the greatest folks to put us aback on track. With a quick look at a map, a destination in RHonda's old school Navi and the free wifi at every hotel, McD's and (In Canada) TIm Horton's I can get by.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 am

I know this question is a bit off-topic; but where is this CF card located? I have a 2012 Wing with the OEM Nav system.

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 pm

You don't have a CF card you have a SD card. It is located in the trunk . If you are at the trunk facing front the Nav unit is mounted on the front wall for the trunk. You should see a door on the right. The Sd card id under that door.

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks; I looked everywhere but there.

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:47 pm

How large of an SD card can I replace the one I have with?

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Sorry but I can't help you with that one. I have an 06 which will use a 4gb CF card but i know very little about the 12s.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Well, it is official. There are differences between your Navi and mine, Jinx. I got a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III CF card with 30mb speed, it was formatted Fat32 out of the package. I loaded all of CNANT2016.10, Canada/USA/Mexico, which was a total of 2.26 GB. It was not recognized, so, I reformatted it (still Fat32) and tried it again - not recognized. I also tried a 1.99 GB version which did not have Mexico. Still not recognized. What works for me is two CF cards. One has Alaska to mid US and the other has all US and Mexico. One is 1.48 GB and the other is 1.82 GB, both on Fat32 2GB CF cards. Anytime after I cross the US border headed south, I can change the cards at the next stop, and continue.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:10 pm

So sorry to hear that it didn't work. If you ever get to Pennsylvania drop me a line. I would like to compare and see if we can find a solution.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:55 pm

jinx wrote:If you ever get to Pennsylvania drop me a line.

Yeah, if our dollar ever gains back some value as compared to yours, that will happen some more. In the mean time, I have lots of Canada to look over again. I leave for Atlanticade next week (hopefully our version of Americade which I attended last year). In the mean time, I am getting to a bunch more Wounded Warrior's events. I can live with two 2GB CF cards for my maps. I only need to carry the one in the bike if I do not get south of Oklahoma or so. :lol: :lol: :lol: I belong to the Canadian Veterans Freedom Riders (sorta our version of your Patriot Guard) as a veteran, and so get to support a few fund raisers and charities that benefit veterans and wounded veterans. But some day.....

ImageImage

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:08 pm

My GPS on my 2003 works really good....it is an analog 10" screen GPS and never needs to be rebooted and never blows a fuse. The CAA (AAA of Canada) provides the maps I need for free via my membership and as one person said, the Milepost magazine/book is the bible of the north. It is by far the only thing to bring going north and it is updated every year. The advertisements are very informative also. Travelling to Alaska isn't hard or difficult, just a lot of miles with a bazillion trees, hope you like the colour green.

The Milepost has lots of maps and I cut them out and 'download' them to my analog GPS (keeping the book in the trunk in a plastic grocery bag). Hopnel makes the analog 10" GPS (really a simple map holder) that also covers all my radio buttons and keeps the sun and rain off them to a large degree.

Oh well, by the time you read this, you've probably arrived safely back home on your luxury touring Goldwing!
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 am

The NAV on my '02 has a 7 inch screen with the latest Garmin map updates released ~26th June 2015.

oh, it's a genuine Garmin too, a 2797 :lol:

It shows all of the 48 states, Canada and Alaska, but I will never get that far north.

I would never buy an 1800 just to get their POS NAV unit.
I'm quite happy with the bare bones 1800 under me now, it has a Traxxion upgrade and a brand new 2010 OEM seat and Utopia backrest.

The roads almost never move around, so 10 year old maps are still pretty good for routing.
The Honda system just is not useful for searching or making routes.

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”