Bike is wandering after install Progressives

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
thorarm
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800

Bike is wandering after install Progressives

Postby thorarm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:19 pm

My 07 won't track, understeers in big curves at speed. Starting a turn causes bike to turn in too quickly then requires more input to overcome understeer.
On the strait it tends to wander. Front end feels like it's balancing on a marble...meaning it tends to cycle side to side. Unnerving.
Had All Balls tapered bearings installed in the head. The wobble is gone.
Same time had Progressive springs installed along with complete rebuild kit (All Balls) so bushings, seals etc. Mechanic put in 20 weight!?
Front seemed higher...stronger springs springs...less compression? Tried lowering the forks by 9/16"...no difference. Preload adjustment makes no difference. Rest of bike is stock, rear shock is original. 105k kilometers.
Now wondering if going back to original springs might resolve. HELP

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Bike is wandering after install Progressives

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:38 am

You don't mention doing anything to the back end.If it's still got the original spring installed it'll definitely need replacing and while you're in there make sure the shock/pump ass is full.Saying all that though I would be more inclined to say that your steering/wandering problem is the head bearing torque.You could try re-torquing the head bearings.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Postby dadztoy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:You don't mention doing anything to the back end.If it's still got the original spring installed it'll definitely need replacing and while you're in there make sure the shock/pump ass is full.Saying all that though I would be more inclined to say that your steering/wandering problem is the head bearing torque.You could try re-torquing the head bearings.

Agree with Chris - most likely your wandering/ understeer is being caused by improper head bearing torque... Suggest you take it back to your installer and have them retorque head bearings to proper value... 20wt sounds a bit heavy to me - IMO 10 Wt would be a better choice...

Les

thorarm

Postby thorarm » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Seems like re torque might be the initial move. I did notice the awful wobble dissappeard after install of All Balls...I'd wonder if that improvement could have been achieved with under torque.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 am

It's common for the steering head bearings to be torqued to spec, then the bike is ridden for a little bit, things seat themselves (particularly if the races weren't 100% seated), and they then have to be re-torqued a month or two later.

You might want to see if any of these sound familiar: Suspension problems and potential causes

I suspect you have raised the front up with new springs, and have your sagging, original spring in back, so the bike is running with excessive trail. Also, 20 weight fork oil, along with Progressive springs, is going to give you a very harsh ride. You really want 10 or 15 weight oil in your forks.

Try putting as much preload in the rear as possible (pump it up with air), but if the spring is old and worn out, you might be looking at redoing your back end as well. Also, make sure you are running NO air pressure (0 psi) in your forks.

thorarm

Postby thorarm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 pm

You mentioned pumping up the rear shock with air. I didn't know the 1800 had that capability. Been through the shop manuel and could find no reference to this.
I do gather that earlier Wings had this feature.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:52 pm

The 1800 doesn't use air shocks.It has a hydraulic preload adjuster for the rear coil over shock set-up.More than likely it'll be low on oil and not giving you the full range.Very few aren't regardless of mileage.And again if your rear spring hasn't been replaced it needs to be.
Mine had less then 25 K miles on it when I got it and the springs at both ends were no good as well as the pump kicking in at around 5 to 7 on the gauge.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

thorarm

Postby thorarm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm guessing even though the powered preload adjustment switch on the cowl seems to change the ride height, and does in fact lower the back, it's likely hooped as you say.
Also guessing there is no way to add oil with out taking it all apart.
Thanks for all the advice. .it's going back in for head torquing and lighter fork oil-day after next.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm

thorarm wrote:You mentioned pumping up the rear shock with air. I didn't know the 1800 had that capability. Been through the shop manuel and could find no reference to this.
I do gather that earlier Wings had this feature.

That's because this topic was posted in the GL1500 section. :) I'll move it over to the GL1800 section.

thorarm

Postby thorarm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks gents...problem solved. Re torquing the head bearings did the job. Handles beautifully and solid. Changed the shock oil from 20 to 10 wt. so it should be a little more cushy, it did feel like riding a board before.
I'm sure the rear shock will be next. Looking at the shop Manuel. ..lots of drilling down to get at it. That's next year's budget. Cheers.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”