GL1800 Seat Height

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rcmotokris
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 - ABS

GL1800 Seat Height

Postby rcmotokris » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Is the published seat height of 29.1" for the GL1800 laden or unladen and what is the preload setting (0 to 25)? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Kris

rcmotokris

Re: GL1800 Seat Height

Postby rcmotokris » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I contacted Honda and they indicated the seat height of 29.1" is unladen and the pre-load is set at 0.

However, the technician that told me this, I believe, was referring to the set point of the pre-load when the bike leave the factory and not the basis for the seat height specification. He had limited documentation to provide confirmation.

Hmmm... maybe Honda Japanese could be a bit more generous and share the technical details with the rest of the world. Maybe it's a trade secret!!!!!

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Don't forget that it is a FACT that each gl1800 that came off the factory floor came with a slightly different amount of hydraulic fluid in the preload adjuster circuit...I would assume the seat height is at 0, but I wouldn't split hairs over it...seats can be cut, bikes can be lowered (though I think its a bad idea), and other modifications can be made to help you fit the bike if necessary.

rcmotokris

Postby rcmotokris » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:53 pm

I understand. I plan to get a TS custom seat that is ~ 2.0" lower and tapered to make it easier to be flat footed. Also, I already have thick sole boots - my wife thinks they look like herman monster boots!!

My last resort would be to lower the bike. I do plan to change the suspension, however. I've been investigating Traxxion and RaceTech. Not sure which way to go. I'm leaning towards RaceTech.

Thoughts?

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:15 pm

rcmotokris wrote:My last resort would be to lower the bike. I do plan to change the suspension, however. I've been investigating Traxxion and RaceTech. Not sure which way to go. I'm leaning towards RaceTech.

Thoughts?

You'll hear a lot of opinions...my thoughts are both systems do what they claim---make the goldwing handle completely different from stock. For sure, traxxion will raise the height of the bike in the front and can be raised or lowered a small bit in the rear (dunno if racetech has a rear shock/spring combo, but traxxions is cheap enough that you could incorporate it into the racetech package if they did not)...both are a bit pricey, and it is my opinion that you start small:

I'm assuming you are looking at a new bike; if not depending on miles on the clock, it might be wise to rebuild the forks (new bushings and fork oil, and a thorough cleaning)...while you are in there, replace the stock springs with a set from traxxion or racetech; I'm using the traxxion 1300lb springs for the front. If you are looking at new, you can just swap the stock springs and spacers for the traxxion/racetech parts without too much fuss. I know that the traxxion springs are part of their big package, and they will let you buy the package later and give you credit on the price of the springs if you buy traxxion springs. Like I said, I have the traxxion fork springs, but not the full front package (ak-20 cartridges), and I have the traxxion rear shock and spring, with the shock raised as I high as I can, and then have the preload set at 25 so I can maximize my ground clearance...I'm 5'10 with a 29" inseam and I can put the balls of my feet on the ground, but not flat foot it (I'm using the stock seat with some seat beads). I think the fork springs alone made a huge difference, and at this point I do not see the NEED to buy into the rest of the full monty package or racetech's cartridges...not that I wouldn't do it down the road just for kicks.

I'd say before you start with a big money package from either vendor, just buy a set of springs and see what that does for you, then decide if you need more once you've determined what your riding style is and what the bike does with minimal modification.

rcmotokris

Postby rcmotokris » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to wait until the shocks / spring have a few miles on them before I make any changes and will follow your suggestion to keep the cost low. Thanks Again.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”